Hearing Enhancers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Fallow Way said:
Its a shame a certain someone is still continuing to give me negtive reputation and trying to argue a point rather than being grown up enough to talk about it and engage in the debate rather than make comments in secret and immature ones at that.

Ok, just so everybody else knows too, it was me that gave you negative points and I gave them because I don't agree with what you are saying and I didn't bring it up in public because I didn't really want an arguement about it (although it looks like I'm going to get one). You're not going to agree with me and I'm not with you so why bother discussing it.

If you aren't able to take comment on what you say then don't say it....you're hardly the only person to receive negative feedback and if you don't like the feedback system than speak to Tony about it. The system is there and I've used it...deal with it.

As for immature....at least I gave you a comment so you know what I didn't like about your posts....you on the other hand just left it blank when you choose to very maturely in a "tit-for-tat" style give me back neg feedback.

So there you have it...you've pushed to make an anonymous system public and got your way....well done.

Bam.

Reactions: andyn

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
Staffordshire, Cannock Chase
Bam - Firstly. I didnt know it was you. I don’t mind taking a comment, but not one when it is rudely dismissive and insulting and it is not the first time you have blatantly insulted me in this way and I don’t see the reason for it.

Secondly, I haven’t given you any neg rep.

If you didn’t agree with how Max teaches then fair enough, voice your opinions and have a debate about it, don’t go making childish comments in secret. If you don’t want it in public, PM me instead. If you are that concerned to record your opinion with me then at least put your name to it so I can address them. That if there were comments about posts and not just bickering.

Marts - I think for the price, $14.99 i`ll get one of the Redhead Hearing Enhancers also, see what that’s like.

Hazelnut

Jan 31, 2005
London
Marts - I think for the price, $14.99 i`ll get one of the Redhead Hearing Enhancers also, see what that’s like.

Sorry chaps, when I first read this thread, I read it quickly, and thought you wrote Red Herring Enhancers, and I had to check it wasn't posted on April Fool's Day. :lmao: :lmao:

What's happened to good old fashioned listening with your ears, and practising to use these skills to enhance your natural hearing. What will be next, foot mufflers on bears etc. to even things up a bit? :rolleyes:

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
I agree with you, 99% of the way.

I am talking specifically in terms of Search and Rescue application. Without waffling on for a long time boring everyone :) things are different then and anything that can help you pick up on the Mipser or sign caused by them all the better I say :)

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Fallow Way said:
If you didn’t agree with how Max teaches then fair enough

I wasn't going to reply to this thread any further but I do need to say this:

I've never said anything about the way Max teaches, I've never met the guy or been taught by him, I have no idea how he teaches but almost all I have ever heard about him from people I respect has told me he is both a very very good tracker and teacher., furthermore my only post before today on this thread actually praises Max:

bambodoggy said:
And maybe at Max's level it really does enhance things...

That's all I have to say.

Bam. :D

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
See there you go again, twisting what I've said. I actually do agree about being aware of things such as birds changing their calls and songs...it was taught to me on the tracking course I went on.

What I was saying if I have to spell it out is that I don't belive you are able to do that quite as well as you make out.

I say again, I have never said anything detrimental about Max.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
Bam drop it!

Why degrade an otherwise good thread by continuing to rant about this? Fallow way has stopped posting on the forums so probably wont reply anyway.

I don’t have the time or patience to read your petty squabbles anymore quit arguing both of you and try to use the forums with some sense of decorum.

if you want to sling mud at each other set up an msn chat where you can go at it to your hearts content and we don’t have to listen to you

Reactions: Martyn
M

mjk3k

Fallow Way said:
Search and Rescue is not just going out and looking for people as many expect,

It’s the same as saying not to use binoculars or radio equipment at the end of the day. There is a device to aid you in the endeavor to save life/suffering, use it.[/color]

.[/color]

IM part of a SAR team ... and like Fallow Way said any thing that helps is a bonous ..

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
Just a quick update.

I`m had a electronic hearing enhancer a few weeks now and have got to admit its a fantastic bit of kit.

It does allow me to passively pick up on a lot more that’s going on (as in i`m concentrating on looking at a piece of sign, me sole attention is not on listening). As with anything its a skill to learn how to use it fully, but I`m very happy with what i`m getting so far and as an aside from the gizmo, concentric circles/bird language is a fascinating study.

The wind doesn’t seem to be a problem unless it is a real blower and in doing some control tests, the faint sounds I pick up with it, can not be heard without it, which is common sense.

One obvious limitation I have experienced is using it in an urban environment, (which I am spending time on currently looking at tracking application for town centers, industrial estates etc etc), too much noise.

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
A lot, although obviously it is only for one ear which takes a little getting used to. It can easily lead you to ignoring sounds picked up by your none enhanced ear, but with practice its not a problem.

As I said before, the really interesting and useful aspect of it other than its amplification, is that it is continously active, which means even when i am looking at sign and concentrating, anything that the enhancer picks up, i register.

It is possible to track through bird noise. I have been out many times and done it with wildlife now but also with people. Another member of the team who was not previously a tracker, until he attended Max`s SAR tracker course, once caught me. I set the team the task of finding me. In order to watch them I was a devilish little tyke and stalked around and behind them. It was only the sound of a lone chaffinch reacting to me that gave me away and the member turned around and spotted me straight away.

"What I was saying if I have to spell it out is that I don't belive you are able to do that quite as well as you make out."
Bam - Beleive me or not, its not my concern. I never said I was an expert, just telling people what I`ve discovered since learning this area of study and hopefully someone will try it. I take everyone at their word on their abilities here.

amott69

Forager
Nov 14, 2005
Kidlington, Oxfordshire
fallow way you rock mate.what is the problem with useing a bit of kit which enable someone to improve there skills.I,m also a firm believer in concentric circles just yesterday i was out walking my dog with my little girl when i saw someone in the woods coming towards me up a path, as my dog gets a bit over excitable when she sees other dogs, i decided to move into the woods.Once in the woods i looked back up the path to see the bloke was gone then i heard a blackbird away to my left give a alarm call i sat looking towards the sound of the blackbird for a few minutes, then i saw the bloke i had seen on the path coming towards me through the woods he was trying to do the same as me(his dog was as mad as mine).Anyway i thought it was a good example of listening to bird song and alarms calls which is all important signs when doing sit spots and shrinking those circles.
What model hearing enhancer have you brought mate?

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
I only personally use the enhancer when I am Search and Rescue tracking. When I track for my own enjoyment I do not use it as it would ruin the experience, its horses for courses.

Instead of the Walker version(expensive) I have initially gone for a Redhead(very good shirts also) which is a hunting kit manufacterer in the States. Its cheap because it doesnt have the dampening effect the Walker has for gun shots, which is a lot of technical wizardry in the little box. I also figured, as I am still learning, it would be a waste to spend so much money if it turns out I dont like it or cant use it. As it turns out I like it very much and intend in the future to purchase the Walker II, perhaps even fork out for the tactical(.....ie in black lol).

Its a lot of fun playing a missing person in our SAR scenarios. Laying there listening to the wildlife ract as team members pass through is a really good chance to learn regularly. I have started sending signals to trackers in the team where i am by suddenly making a small movement and the birds reacting. Sometimes I give an atom bomb of a hint if I`m lucky to have a flock of bramblings overhead or something, they make a fuss when startled.

Its a fascinating area of study I`d emplor everyone to look at, not even as part of tracking, just as an awarness of what is going on.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE