Hearing Enhancers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
Computer playing up so couldnt access when just tried to check. Mas Ayoob previously mentioned using ( I think ) Wolf Ear brand of ear defencers with electronic enhancement/ loud noise shut off etc.

Stick Masaad Ayoob into Google and it'll take you to his online store.

No direct experience, so may be totally the wrong thing, but he specifically mentioned using them both for police work and hunting.

My experience with 'cheap' electronic ear defenders echoes Buckshot - wind noise drives you slowly crackers - and picking up derogatory comments from guys twenty yards behind you on the range is very off-putting!

Hope helps.

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Fallow Way: it would be interesting to compare Low Land SAR and MRT methods.

Seems that basic search in is similar but there does appear to be some differences - guess due to terrain. Also I figure Low Land teams do more searching than MRTs and less "rescue" stuff.

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
Staffordshire, Cannock Chase
Indeed, i`ll PM you to have this discussion as I`m sure it will be long and boring for most people reading the thread.

Briefly though, yes generally for Lowland, as there are few places beyond the relatively easy access (compared to mountain ranges) of the other emergency services, our general remit is to find the MISPER, deliver first aid and package them ready for the services to take over, although we have members capable are far more than that.

stone

Tenderfoot
Fallow Way said:
Indeed, i`ll PM you to have this discussion as I`m sure it will be long and boring for most people reading the thread.

It would be interesting to see how many people on this board are SAR volunteers. It might be good to start a new thread for the SAR folks. I'm fairly involved in a local SAR team in Calgary, and it's neat to see the similarities in operations to the UK based teams! :D

~mike

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
I am getting really fed up with the childish behaviour of some people on this forum.....

Hearing Enhancers26-04-2006 17:49Distant bird song! What utter rubbish! Grow up!

Whoever made this isnt mature enough to engage in the conversation so decides to make a idiot remark in secret. If you dont think it works, fine, dont even attempt to find out anymore about it and stick to your snap decision and some strange notion that your always right.

If however you try it, take what i`ve said in my experiences of using it or talk to one of the other people that have experienced it and use it, you will find it is another tool that can help you. Open your mind to the possibilty of learning something for heavens sake.

If you really really really want to bash the idea, how about I point you towards the highly...highly respected tracker that introduced me to it....and see how your snap decision pans out then? .....no? didnt think so.

Its comments like this which make the whole idea of BCUK repugnant at times I`m sorry to say.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Not quite sure what you're referring to FW.
The link you posted just comes to this thread again.
If you want to PM with a specific of the post you are taking exception to we can follow it up
I couldn't see a post on the date and time either.

Thanks

Mark

I

ianmaxwell

Its good to see Fallow Way being current on equipment used in tracking.
I use The Walkers Tactical Ear, and I get my moneys worth. It did flood under British weather, however it is so good that I have bought another one to replace it.
This week I start filming a documentary for Discovery. I will be showing an improvised electronic listening device used to pick up distant wildlife sounds at night and give us a direction to start cutting for spoor for a specific animal.
I am with you on this, Fallow Way, using a listenting device gives the tracker an added advantage, and we need every advantage we can get to close the TDG.

Hawkeye The Noo

Forager
Aug 16, 2005
Dunoon, Argyll
Slight change of topic but still on technology and tracking.

3 questions:
1 Has anyone ever used avalanche transceivers in SAR operations?
2 If so to what extent were they useful?
3 Do you think they would have much of an overlap in tracking applications?

Cheers

Jamie

2blackcat

Nomad
Nov 30, 2004
bromley
Hawkeye, is that review too large to cut and paste?

Only this work 'puter blocks that site. Says something about weapons!
It's the only reason I can't get to look at BB site either

Anyone would think I'm here to work :eek:

Hawkeye The Noo

Forager
Aug 16, 2005
Dunoon, Argyll
I will need to wait until I get home from work to do this for same reasons. I might also have to edit it a little. Will cut and paste tonight and edit so that it is bkuk friendly.

Cheers

Jamie

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
2blackcat said:
Hawkeye, is that review too large to cut and paste?

Only this work 'puter blocks that site. Says something about weapons!
It's the only reason I can't get to look at BB site either

Anyone would think I'm here to work :eek:

Here (or should it be hear :rolleyes: ) ya go mate...

New Tactical Ear III W-C by Walker's Game Ear. Let Your Ears Go Bionic.
Once you have a pair of these babies on, Colonel Steve Austin, the Six Million Dollar Man, wouldn't have much on ya'. Compact and lightweight, Walker's Tactical Ear III W-C, by Walker's Game Ear, gives military special operators, LE tactical operators, and serious shooters two-way communications ability, a noise reduction rating of 29 decibals against loud bangs, and ambient sound amplification to nine times normal levels.
It goes without saying that if a military special operator is on a dangerous mission in some God-forsaken country, or a SWAT tactical operator is on a stakeout or conducting raid, it's advantageous if they can...

hear the bad guys before the bad guys can hear them, and simultaneously have adequate hearing protection immediately, just in case a firefight happens to breaks out.

What separates Walker's Tactical Ear III W-C from the other Tactical Ear products is it's two-way communications feature. It can receive signals from a transmit wire that is worn around the neck and connected to the operator's walkie-talkie. The Tactical Ear III W-C grabs the signal coming from the neck loop right out of the air.

Another neat feature of Walker's Tactical Ear III W-C, and that is shared by Walker's Tactical Ear II, is it's AFT(Adjustable Frequency Tuning) circuit, which allows the user to customize the frequency response to their individual need, depending on their specific combat environment. For instance, a military Spec-Ops operator is much more likely to wind up in a higher decible environment involving sustained automatic weapons fire than an LE tactical operator, dignitary protection team member, or government agent, all of whom are much more likely to be on some kind of low to medium decibal-level urban operation.

The Tactical Ear III W-C is lightweight and compact, and no special fitting is required. It's only 1.06 inches high by .34 inches wide, and weighs less than 1/4 ounce. Constructed of rugged, non-reflective plasic, it incorporates a large number volume control, along with an integrated on-off switch. The unit operates on a 1.4v cell battery, which is included. It also comes with one ear plug and a carrying case.

Personally, if I were going to use a Walker's Tactical Ear, I would wear a Walker's Tactical Ear II in each ear alongside New Eagle's excellent Special Operations "bone mic" headset, or one of their Enforcer Series Headets, either their Enforcer I or Enforcer II, both of which also operate using "bone mics" a.k.a. "bone vibrators". Since the New Eagle headset would cover all my two-way comm needs, the Tactical Ear III W-C's built-in two-way comm circuitry would be unnecessary. The Walker's Tactical Ear II/New Eagle headset combo would give me one hell of a tactical hearing/communications package. It's certainly not the least expensive way to go, but why quibble over money when your life is on the line?

2blackcat

Nomad
Nov 30, 2004
bromley
Many thanks for that, my friend

You're another step up that distinguished path :D

Sounds like an intresting bit of kit but way too hi-tech for what I'd be using it for

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
Thats for that info, that exactly the sort of feedback I was hopeing for.

I think i`m going to settle for the Walker Game II at the minute from everything I have read.

Its a shame a certain someone is still continuing to give me negtive reputation and trying to argue a point rather than being grown up enough to talk about it and engage in the debate rather than make comments in secret and immature ones at that.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE