Oil Lamps (Pics please)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
When I moved from the UK to Canada a long while back now, I brought with me a big box of oil lamps/lanterns of various ages and states of repair. Mainly Feuerhands, but others too. Over time the number has gradually dwindled to, as of last week, none.

I need some replacements, but here a Feuerhand new can cost between 80 and 130 dollars. They are 35 Euros new direct, which is a little over $45.

But, before I take that possible plunge, I wondered what other types of oil lamp there were out there. I did notice that if I typed 'naval brass oil lamp' into a search, the results got a lot more interesting (also considerably larger in some cases :lol:)

Does anyone have any pictures they might like to share of oil lamps they have known and loved? Wicky models preferred, but Tilleys, Vapalux, Petromax etc. models welcome, too

Last edited:

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
I’ve a few, some Tilleys a Coleman that loves to whistle (annoyingly!) and a feurhand baby. Try Googling miners lamps though if you don’t know those, they’re lovely bits of brass. I’m on the lookout for one but they fetch some change!

Reactions: Billy-o

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I've got a variety of hurricane lanterns, probably 20 or so, mainly Feuerhand but some Chalwyns, a couple baby Kwang Ha's which I really rate and a large old Dietz. I keep looking for various other models and different manufacturers like Meva that I've not got as well just to have extra variety.

Other special lamps I have are a couple Uco's that I'm planning on building trench candles for, a couple French pigeon lamps which are lovely to use, a couple miners lamps awaiting new wicks and several small table paraffin lanterns.

You asked about what miners lamps are like in wind and I can tell you they operate extremely well and aren't fazed at all by strong winds.

If I get a chance I'll take some pics and post them on here for you.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
There seems to be a lack of photos on this thread :) - so I'll kick off. I only have a few; nothing like Steve's collection and he's to blame for some of mine! (I know, they could all do with a good cleaning)

First, my miner's lamps - I doubt if any of them have ever been down a mine!

lamps - miners.jpg

A couple of table lamps - no names. The smaller one is a favourite: it gives off plenty of light, it's sturdy and stable - we use it whenever there's a power cut.

lamps - table.jpg

A hanging lamp; again no name. We've used it a few times. It has a small brass 'cap' that hangs from a chain to stop the smoke going straight onto the ceiling.

Lamp - hanging.jpg

A small collection of Pigeon lamps (pronounced pee-jon, with a soft j as in the French name Jean). I bought these after seeing Steve's collection at a camp.

Lamps - Pigeon.jpg

And, lastly, a little cheap bedside lamp that I love. It's very stable and can be carried around.

lamp - bedside.jpg

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
See they all the time at the local car boot sales (often for little money) - anything similar where you are?

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
There seems to be a lack of photos on this thread :) - so I'll kick off. I only have a few; nothing like Steve's collection and he's to blame for some of mine! (I know, they could all do with a good cleaning)

First, my miner's lamps - I doubt if any of them have ever been down a mine!

View attachment 75793

A couple of table lamps - no names. The smaller one is a favourite: it gives off plenty of light, it's sturdy and stable - we use it whenever there's a power cut.

View attachment 75794

A hanging lamp; again no name. We've used it a few times. It has a small brass 'cap' that hangs from a chain to stop the smoke going straight onto the ceiling.

View attachment 75795

A small collection of Pigeon lamps (pronounced pee-jon, with a soft j as in the French name Jean). I bought these after seeing Steve's collection at a camp.

View attachment 75796

And, lastly, a little cheap bedside lamp that I love. It's very stable and can be carried around.

View attachment 75797
That is a lovely little collection you've built up there, Broch. I really like that small, brass, table-top one. :) I have just recently moved to Calgary, and there is something romantically Western about the place that makes me feel I should have some indoor oil lamps too. You can still see them old style saloons when you get just outside of the city.

What do you run them on? I keep seeing references to using oilve oil for lamps, but I suspect not for these particular kinds

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Billy-o: Try Home Hardware and Home Depot. They both stock what's called "lamp oil". I don't think it's kerosene or Jet B helicopter fuel. Fairly volatile. Any time the living room at the lake got up to 40C or more, all the lamps would sweat and smell. The thermometer on the floor would say 25C.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Two more power failures of a couple of hours each in the pitch dark and I have bought a pair of glass oil lamps from Home Hardware
#4360-907 12" oil lamp pair $21.99
Recommended lamp oil fuel
#4360-383 710ml clear lamp fuel $12.99
They sell replacement wicks and chimneys, too.

Their appearance reminds me strongly of several oil lamps that we had in the lakeside resort family cottage.

Two more power failures last night. My bedside digital clock was having a fit but I don't know the durations. I was already in bed for the night so was not about to get up to fool with the lamps. I reset the clock and woke again later with the damn thing flashing again. The projector clock is a much more durable timekeeper so the failures must have been flickers at most.

Decacraft

Jul 28, 2021
South Wales
I only use the feuerhand baby lanterns myself, and purely because when I bought them a while back I think they were the better priced at around £30 each. Looking at them now they have gone up somewhat, but not sure what the availability is like in Canada.

@Billy-o also from the valleys, and can remember having the miners lamps at home and in the grandparents growing up, ill have to find out where they went, im sure one or 2 of them were used in the mines as well

subzeer0

Tenderfoot
Apr 30, 2014
East of Durham
just a note on your Miners lamps...they dont throw a lot of light..as just a gas tester in reality... but easy to strip down and clean...but for ease an officials lamp, ie the one with the striker will be best...the ones with the copper or brass tops were sold by the lamp company for a momento, still complete in every detail, except with the magnet missing on the lock and purchased from the lamp cabin direct... originally

with over 22 years in the industry ha

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE