Heads Up - Small gas stove

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
How does it perform, any better than the £10 stoves?

I can't really compare too much with the other stoves mentioned as I don't have them. All I can say is that I've had it for 8 years, it lives in my mountaineering bag in winter and summer and I have used it to brew up many times. It has never failed, even in cold conditions, and I love the fact that there is a piezo starter on it so I don't need to worry about matches/lighter. Coupled with a titanium pot and a Primus windshield, it's a great little combination. Don't have to worry about meths/liquid fuel, it has it's own small hard carry case and folds up very small. It has been reliable and cost effective.

I'll find some pictures...

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Here we go:

a3za6s.jpg

This one shows the stove folded in its little plastic container. Not that much bigger than a box of matches. It fits in the pot with the gas canister and the windshield goes around the bottom of the pot. Whole lot fits in mesh bag.

118owue.jpg

OK, here you see the piezo starter button, the windshield clipped round the neck of the gas canister, and the stove unfolded and arms opened out. The little wire handle adjusts the gas and it is, actually, quite 'adjustable' for cooking.

I also used this set-up in the LAMM race and it worked well and also in the Alps at over 4000m - the stove was OK (spluttered a bit) but this is more to do with the fuel than the stove itself (you have to warm and insulate the canister to get best results). On extended alpine routes where I need to melt a lot of snow, I would switch to my either my MSR XGK (which rules at altitude!) or my Jetboil and hanging kit (best for steep routes and hanging bivis).

I think I got it from Cotswolds in a rock-bottom sale for about £15 but you only seem to be able to get them from eBay now. I have no doubt that other stoves work but, in my experience, this stove has been excellent.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I managed it when I had a clone muti-fuel running on paraffin in my 27. Still I should know better :vio:

Si

Tut tut, you were over doing it, doubt Ian would, he's too long in the tooth lol. I used a Nova in a 27 OK but to be honest only really use a 25 these days as I don't solo camp anymore. I've got several 27's and I'm bored...I might try a destruction test when I'm alone tomorrow; give me a chance to try out my new camera...pictures to follow :)

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
Tut tut, you were over doing it, doubt Ian would, he's too long in the tooth lol. I used a Nova in a 27 OK but to be honest only really use a 25 these days as I don't solo camp anymore. I've got several 27's and I'm bored...I might try a destruction test when I'm alone tomorrow; give me a chance to try out my new camera...pictures to follow :)

I asked Trangia about this, indeed their reply is posted here somewhere (or it might be CCS). They advised against using the multifuel in the Smaller 27' because of the way the flame spread. They also suggested, that in practice they thought it highly unlikely that this would really be a problem, but it "could" be a problem so this was their official line.

They took a similar approach to adapting non-trangia burners to the 25, that without knowing the heat output or flame pattern they couldn't officially endorse using any Burner other than a Trangia one, but again took a pretty pragmatic approach and said that in practice they didn't think it would be a problem.

The impression I was left with was that it probably wasn't a good idea to use any multifuel in a 27, but you could get away with pretty well anything in a 25.

I haven't looked for the email, but this is how I remember my interpretation if it.

Graham

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
One of those from China, I brought it about five years ago, I can see I'm going to have to get the camera out soon:p

Si

Ah yes, I know the ones you mean, I can certainly generate a tremdous amount of heat fom my omnifuel plus omnidawg inside a 25, which was why I asked Trangia about running a multifuel in a 27. Plus the fact their web site says that the multifuel isn't compatible with the 28.

Graham

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
Your making me now go and see if any of my gas burners will fit into a trangia !

I think the official one has a slight folded heat reflector/deflector.

Yes it does, and much as I dislike using gas, the. Trangia gas burner inside a 28 is pretty impressive, last week in chilly but not cold conditions, but with very strong winds, it took about 2.5 minutes to boil 500mls of water. This was in the standard pot and using the frying pan as a lid. Except it kept on getting blown off!

Having abandoned them 30 years ago, recently I have been using them more and more, and they never fail to impress.

It's well worth the effort to sort out a gas burner for your trangia.

Graham

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
Myotis,

At school we have trangia sets but it would be good to have a couple of gas burners that fit, for faster cooking in some weathers.

Yes, there are times when a gas burner makes sense, and at £22.00 for the go-system burner, it would seem a really useful facility to add. I really only use a multi-fuel with the trangia, but there are still occasions when the ease of using gas just seems appropriate, and of course both approaches are faster and more controllable than Meths.

Having said, that most of the time, when actually camping, I rather like relaxing and "watching my kettle boil" . I feel a bit cheated if it boils almost immediately after putting it on.

Graham

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE