Giant hobo stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

njc110381

Forager
Jun 17, 2008
Gloucester, UK
Hey guys. I thought I'd post a picture of my latest hobo stove creation. It's a bit on the large side, but once a year I have a get together with a group of friends that requires a larger cooking system. Rather than hanging a pot over the fire, I made this...

I just did a forum search thinking that I'd posted the start of this earlier in the year, but it looks like I didn't. It's a 23 litre pan to give you an idea of scale.

It's been changed a number of times and could well still be changed more because the air flow isn't right. On the camping trip in May I had to do some fancy cutting of three beer cans to hold the pan above the stove. It's such a tight fit that the smoke didn't have enough room to escape, and it wouldn't burn.

The idea is that the pot slides fully into the bottle to make it as compact as possible. It all holds together with a buckle strap, very similar to a Trangia. I've drilled three holes about an inch from the top that I push six inch nails through to act as pot supports The pot stands on them perfectly, again a stolen idea from the Trangia stoves.

This is the third adjustment I think - I've now got twelve 16mm chimney holes just under the pot stands, and for a flat out burn I've added some 22mm copper pipe stands that hold the pot well above the top of the stove. That should mean that the fire can really rage until I bring whatever I'm doing to the boil, at which point it should be able to sit down on the nails and restrict the fire so the food doesn't burn. It's got a sliding vent on one large hole at the front for control so I need to get the little vent holes numbered to just allow it to burn when that's closed. I'm hoping to be able to simmer stuff gently, so I'm drilling a few holes then lighting it, shutting it down and then repeating the process until it's right. This could take a while!

What do you think? It's far too heavy to pack around but for a static camp it's pretty functional. It acted as the tea urn at the last meet, so we could just dunk a cup whenever we fancied a brew. Hopefully next year I can get it controlled enough to do a venison stew - one of the guys brought half a pig last year, and we had a roe deer the year before that. As you can well imagine, we don't go hungry!

njc110381

Forager
Jun 17, 2008
Gloucester, UK
Something like that would have saved me a lot of drilling and cutting! Nice work. I love doing the diy thing. I've enjoyed making it as much as I will enjoy using it.

It seems that the holes I've drilled are about right now. I just gave it a test run with some fairly damp roofing baton from the builders rubbish pile and managed to get 16 litres of water to a rolling boil in 36 minutes. I reckon I could manage low 20's if I built a good base of decent wood in it before putting the pan on. I wasn't going to use dry logs from my log store though because I thought that wouldn't really reflect what we have to work with on an average weekend in the woods

Sent from my GT-S7710 using Tapatalk

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
... I just gave it a test run with some fairly damp roofing baton from the builders rubbish pile ...

Watch out for the smoke when you use stuff like that, some of the preservatives can give off pretty toxic fumes. You're not really supposed to burn it.

njc110381

Forager
Jun 17, 2008
Gloucester, UK
Good point. I figured it would be ok as I wasn't cooking anything, but the smoke didn't smell at all pleasant!

I'm going to shot blast it all now it's running right and paint it with stove paint.

Sent from my GT-S7710 using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE