Heads up on large tarps at Lidl

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
I see Lidl have their big (5x7 metre I think) tarps on sale next week. They have eyelets and come with rope of some sort (type & quantity unknown). They come in green or black and are around the 8 quid mark.

Anyway: I bought one of these a year or two ago to rig up as a large roof over a family-sized camp - in fact anyone who saw our set-up at Bushmoot this year (site at beginning of car park) will have seen one in action. Did the job admirably I'd say and came home undamaged, having protected us all week.

Maybe a bit big for solo hammocking though!

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I think youve been misled DarkHorse Dave..........

After going to two Lidl stores this morning, and a couple of conversations with the lasses in Scotland, they may have their thin plastic BBQ type covers on offer, and they also sell cotton frost protection covers, [without eyelets] but no tarps are on sale.........

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
The tarps were certainly on display outside the New Malden (SW London) branch last week.

What material were they made out of?

Same as these?

UK_45568_01_b_20100322164950.jpg

Last edited:

Ian S

On a new journey
Nov 21, 2010
Edinburgh
My local Lidl had the tarps and saws in (two of each purchased), but didn't have the axes, at least not on display.

Cheers

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
I got a pack of two 3m by 2m with rope they are "weather proof polyethylene" but they have hard plastic reinforcements on the corner eyelets I think I only paid £6.99 for the two.
At that price they will come in useful. I have been getting into ground dwelling and am experimenting with natural material/Tarp combo shelters using an IPK tarp
These ones will make for a luxury apartment style shelter.
Completely OT but i must admit I like the extra space and convenience of this type of shelter
I don't like dismantling the shelter when I head off though so the bigger tarp should mean less dismantling

Savagewolfrm

Nomad
Oct 29, 2008
North Devon
got me a tarp and a saw and well happy with it th saw is pretty good and does what its says on the box, cut wood etc. the tarp is pretty good too will have to wait for the weather to change down here as its piddling down, but the tarp looks all ok all this for just over 11 quid

M

mountain arctic warrior

Just a tip with these types of Tarps. Fold them in a different way now and then, they do perish and leak on folds and corners. I know they are cheap enough, but no need to spend if it can be avoided.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE