Heads Up - Folding Firebox Stove - Free Delivery From USA

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Ive been tossing up whether to get a honey stove and last night stumbled across the folding firebox stove. After seeing how many people and how much faffing it took to rebuild a honey at my last meet i thought id go for this as its hinged. Im sure it does pretty much the same thing but at the moment they have free delivery from the USA to Blighty. worked out to £33 delivered but i may pick up customs etc.

Im hoping to make a conversion to burn biomass pellets so will let you know if its any good

Anyhow, ive never used one and have no connection etc etc

http://foldingfirebox.com/shop/

Muddy Boots

Settler
May 27, 2009
warwickshire
Hey it would be great if you could do a review on this when it lands.

I've got a honey stove but reckon this might be the way forward.

Any chance of letting us know the weight on one of these as I couldn't see it listed on the website at first glance.

Cheers,

David

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Ok. the doubting Thomas' have been proved right, well partially. I received a very nice email explaining that their checkout screwed up and shouldnt have applied free shipping. They have however asked for only $10 for international priority which i think is fair. worked out to £6.42

ill be sure to review when it lands

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Sounds very fair... The Bark River I'm oogling is $30 P&P :rolleyes:

looking forwards to your review as my quest for a firebox is still not complete!

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Sounds very fair... The Bark River I'm oogling is $30 P&P :rolleyes:

looking forwards to your review as my quest for a firebox is still not complete!

Not knowing exactly what you want to use one for it's difficult to recommend anything but for a small firebox which is light, easy to assemble, stainless, will hold a pan or a kettle, cook a meal or boil a brew, I can recommend the Emberlit. It's not a wood gas stove but it burns wood and it does the job.

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76978

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Cheers buddy... Seen that one :)

Wont divert off the thread too much, but along the lines of the Yukon. Its not high on the list at the mo to be honest though!

Podcast Bob

A very interesting addition to the wide range of wood burning stove creeping onto the market.

Elegantly designed and a neat looking package. Naturally if I say anything negative about it, people will think it is sour grapes on my behalf and my Honey Stove, however I am flattered now by the fact that since the original 2007 Honey, all subsequent wood stoves now mention adjustable cooking heights, flexibility with other heat sources and 'multi-adapability' as a selling feature :)

I think they may have seen the videos LOL!!

There's certainly more than enough plates, pegs, grills, holes and grill plates to play with in this set up.

Fun for all the family.

But really, who 'sprays' a steak before cooking it and eating?

If that spray jet had got near the flames the gas would have exploded or at least become a flame thrower!!!

I don't think he's in Jamie's class :)

looks complex , heavy and easy to bend out of shape like a lot of these systems
still prefer my ASDA drainer Hobo as it requires virtually no difficult assembly and takes up no real pack space fitting the outside of the billy snugly

oh and it can take a Gas or liquid fuel burner head to ;)

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Absolutely love the Honey stove!!!
For me its the versatility of it that sells it!!
I missed the boat really cause my favorite was the 2011 model!!
As soon as finances allow Im gonna buy treating myself to one!!
Plus its British, and that for me is mega important when I look at things like this!!
Looking forward to seeing your review though Bear!!
Cheers
Steve

forestwalker

I missed the boat really cause my favorite was the 2011 model!!
What is the difference between the 2011 and current models?

I've only ever used the Tentipi and recently the Honey. The honey is stainless (yay!) and less then half the weight and will work with a trangia burner or esbit tabs. But the tentipi is manegable with mittens, much less fiddly, can burn real size firewood and is trivially supportable on snow. If I had some more metal-working skills I'd make a tentipi "copy" in stainless (using real hinges since there is no way I'd manage the fancy interlock system). The honey will be a light weight solo spring-early autumn stove (and trangia replacement when there is a fire ban and I'm solo), the tentipi will be used the rest of the year, or with groups (2-3 pots!).

Since I'm 300 km from the nearest IKEA I can't try that one, and rusting tins do not appeal.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
What is the difference between the 2011 and current models?

I've only ever used the Tentipi and recently the Honey. The honey is stainless (yay!) and less then half the weight and will work with a trangia burner or esbit tabs. But the tentipi is manegable with mittens, much less fiddly, can burn real size firewood and is trivially supportable on snow. If I had some more metal-working skills I'd make a tentipi "copy" in stainless (using real hinges since there is no way I'd manage the fancy interlock system). The honey will be a light weight solo spring-early autumn stove (and trangia replacement when there is a fire ban and I'm solo), the tentipi will be used the rest of the year, or with groups (2-3 pots!).

Since I'm 300 km from the nearest IKEA I can't try that one, and rusting tins do not appeal.

I think, but not 100% the difference between 2011 and 2012 Honey is that the 2011 has a top plate very similar to the bottom plate, the 2012 has the wire grill!! Also I think the Trangia plate is different between the 2 versions of the Honey stove too

forestwalker

I think, but not 100% the difference between 2011 and 2012 Honey is that the 2011 has a top plate very similar to the bottom plate, the 2012 has the wire grill!! Also I think the Trangia plate is different between the 2 versions of the Honey stove too
My brandish new one has a grill. Where one can carbonize sausages quickly... For meths I've only used my old army meths burner, and just put the plate one further notch up (third) and sat it on top of the plate. For the insane crowd I noticed someone makes a Ti "trangia" burner...

I am kinda with you on this one, in that I have always been a hobo stove kinda guy. made mine out of a stainless steel tin with a hole cut out with the dremmel to feed wood into it. However, I now own one of these Folding Firebox stoves and I can tell you it is leagues ahead of anything else in terms of build quality and robustness!! Its also easy to open with big thick gloves on, and one handed! major plusses in my book. If you are someone looking to change from a hobo stove to a commercial stove, you have to entertain the Folding Firebox, significantly cheaper for a product that WILL NOT WARP, is made of thicker guage steel and allows for one handed operation! No brainer for me!

still prefer my ASDA drainer Hobo as it requires virtually no difficult assembly and takes up no real pack space fitting the outside of the billy snugly

keith alan

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 4, 2011
midlands
In the past i have tried every type of camping stove , paraffin ,gas cartridge,petrol and the best was the meths trangia if you you camp with children as it is so safe but of coarse you have to carry the fuel.

Personalty i prefer an open fire

I have tried the Honey stove and thought it a bit to flimsy and it fits together in a complicated way to get it right , i also had to take to much time in filling it up with very small twigs so it was a pain to keep going and of coarse it is limited by its size,so I moved on to the Folding fire box .

Now the folding fire box is so simple is very strong and can take anything you want to throw at it ,it burns very very hot due to its box type construction and configuration and extreme heat it heats a large kettle of water very quickly and cooks a meal in a large fry pan without any trouble .by the way it did not warp.

compare this to an open fire having to gather the large stones dig a pit or gather large logs then start the fire is so time consuming ,
the firebox is in a class of its own i will be trying out a much larger firebox at a later date and will give an evaluation on it soon

treetop57

Forager
Sep 1, 2012
dumfrieshire

i'm with you on this i got mine one from tesco one from ikea for less than £5 each don't know why one would spend on a honey stove just thay look good but so do's the money left in my pocket

Elen Sentier

i'm with you on this i got mine one from tesco one from ikea for less than £5 each don't know why one would spend on a honey stove just thay look good but so do's the money left in my pocket

Mmmm - just been to look, not seen before :)newbie:). Like the look and will fit my billy too. You said Tesco's have them?

Ah, went to look at http://www.bushcraftliving.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8041 so think I understand - you build it yourself, right? Can't do that.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE