Ey up from Yorkshire!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 4, 2012
Yorkshire
Hi all, Ive been into wild camping and bushcraft for around a year now, since ditching the regular conventional way of camping in a camp site etc I seem to be on my own, my mates just aint interested in getting to know the real outdoors! So anyway it would be great to know if there are any members close to where I live (south/west yorkshire) and to hear from anyone who can share their knowledge. At the moment Im still just trying different ways of camping, the Coleman one man tent which I was using is great but a little heavy for wild camping so then i went for a one man Gelert tent which was much lighter but not a lot of room inside to store gear, so I opted for a British Army issue Basha and DD hammock which I havn't reall put either to the test as yet, just went into the local woods yeasterday to hang it all up. Ive also finally got my hands on a gortex army bivvy bag which I would like to try soon as lightweight hiking set up, possibly when i walk the Cleveland way this year. There are all kinds of skills which I'm hoping to learn from this new interest such as fishing, foraging, hunting, making fire the old school way, using natures materials to build shelters, the list goes on.
From watching alot of you tube vids and reading a few Ray Mears books ive managed to learn how to tie a few usefull knots, erect a basha, and catch cray fish that's about it for the moment! Ive got plenty of gear now(gerber knife,laplander saw,firesteel,swedish trangia stove,winter sleeping bag) I just need to get out there a bit more and practice and hopefully meet someone with whom I can share knowledge with in the field. A bushcaft course would be useful but they are way too expensive for me and to be honest I believe that this knowledge should be free to everyone and even compulsary in schools just like learning English and Maths!

I must say though as much as love camping outdoors in front of a blazing fire, the solitude deos kind of get to me a little after a night or so alone, i much prefer having a bit of company, mabe I'll check out some of the groups on here.

laters

Aidy

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Hey Aidy, welcome to the forum. Im not too far away if you fancy meeting up sometime :D

May 4, 2012
Yorkshire
Thanks guys, hey Tinkerer Im only 20 mins away from Cas, Im at Royston, and yeah Copper Head would love to, cheers, I was just under the Humber at Hessle a couple of months back TRYING to catch fish, however im not that good at it just like most of my survival skills!lol so anyone been getting out in nature lately?

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE