Head Torch-Best for the Money

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I've been quite happy with my DIY energizer Head Torch ( £16.00 ) but today it went to the big rubbish bin in the sky.

So , Im after an new one , I dont mind spending a reasonable money on something good , but please no " Its German , Its a Trillion Lumens and runs off MOX Rods " , so what Headtorches are good for the money and what levels and functions are we talking about??

AA Or AAA ( or a Hand crank Dynamo one? )

Green Light Instead of Red

White light to Green/Red at touch of a button , not messing around with some minute fiddly filters.

Waterproof - ish

Not so Heavy and Cumbersome that you develop neck strain from wearing it.

All suggestions appreciated , What are most of you guys and Gals using currently?
Linkys appreciated.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
When/if my Tac Tikka packs up I'm going to give the Alpkit a go as they've always impressed me when I've seen them in use.

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Do you have one of those AJB? Good bit of kit from YOUR experience?

Both of those look Good to be honest , I'll give it a till tomorrow then order something .

Thanks Lads.

Anymore for anymore?

I've had one for two years - if I'd spent £50 I'd think it was pretty good - at £12.50 it's extraordinary. If you’re some sort of extreme sports, tactical, underwater ninja then there’s, without doubt, better kit on the market for you, but if you’re just someone who needs to see what you’re doing they’re fab!

I can guarantee you will get loads of people telling you how good they are! And that price includes the batteries – ridiculous value!

Snowfire

Forager
Jan 10, 2010
Cotswolds

Can I ask a few questions about these please.

Will rechargable batteries physically fit in the case?
Do they work ok with them?
How tough are they? (in other words next time other half pulls his jacket off without first removing torch and it flies off his head will it still be in one piece and working when he picks it up again).

I've had a few problems with Petzl torches on all three counts, although the latter is probably down to user error :)

Thanks

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I've had one for two years - if I'd spent £50 I'd think it was pretty good - at £12.50 it's extraordinary. If you’re some sort of extreme sports, tactical, underwater ninja then there’s, without doubt, better kit on the market for you, but if you’re just someone who needs to see what you’re doing they’re fab!

I can guarantee you will get loads of people telling you how good they are! And that price includes the batteries – ridiculous value!

Good enough for me Mate , Just Bought x 5 , ( Desert Storm if any one wants to mix-and-match )

I should be able to sell three of them onto the lads at Work.

Thanks for the help every one.:You_Rock_

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
. If you’re some sort of extreme sports, tactical, underwater ninja then there’s, without doubt, better kit on the market for you, but if you’re just someone who needs to see what you’re doing they’re fab!

Right. Who talked?!

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Good enough for me Mate , Just Bought x 5 , ( Desert Storm if any one wants to mix-and-match )

I should be able to sell three of them onto the lads at Work.

Thanks for the help every one.:You_Rock_

Yikes I feel very responsible now, x5, you don't do things by half do you, but I think mine is great!

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Can I ask a few questions about these please.

Will rechargable batteries physically fit in the case?
Do they work ok with them?
How tough are they? (in other words next time other half pulls his jacket off without first removing torch and it flies off his head will it still be in one piece and working when he picks it up again).

I've had a few problems with Petzl torches on all three counts, although the latter is probably down to user error :)

Thanks

Will rechargable batteries physically fit in the case? Never tried, still on the first set of free batteries

How tough are they? I tend to look after my kit, I've never dropped it, but it feels tough enough to me.

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
I've had a gamma for 2 years and its still going strong, i have a habit of putting it over the top of a wooly hat, then flingin the hat off on to the table when ive finished wearing it (forgetting the torch is still on top) and its not broke yet touch wood!!!

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Ive broken 3 energizers, 1 aldi, 1 tesco, 1 nightsun.
My tactikka plus's are leagues ahead.
They are waterproof, the batteries last much longer and you can change the batteries in the dark with no light. I have sat on them, bashed them into branches and rocks-they are still intact. The light spread is great.
Ive not seen the alpkit to comment.

Last edited:

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I have a Petzl Tikka, Petzl Tikka plus, Silva and the Alpkit Gamma

I rate the Gamma over all of the others for features, ruggedness, usability and price. In my opinion it's streets ahead of the competition :D

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
I quite like the Petzl e+Lite, which is ultralight, tiny and versatile.

I must like 'em as I've got six and have given two others to friends whom love 'em.

petzlelite.jpg
e+lite-case-belt.jpg

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I just checked the gamma out, it looks like a mobile rave!

I cant see the use for the multi colours, other than the red, but I want one!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE