The best head torch (for country life)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
i'm happy with my fenix hl23 since 5years: runs on a single AA battery and -- thanks to a well-sealing O-ring -- absolutely waterproof (VERY important in a rainforest) i'm only using the lowest setting which is plenty for normal use
i used a petzl for 12 years as well -- ants ate the cover of the switch about 4years ago and in the end i had to take out the batteries as the switch gave up in the end... sadly it disappeared last year when i moved to a different place... :-(the

edit: forgot to mention another imho clever feature of the fenix: unlike all other head torches i encountered you have to hold the switch for about three seconds to turn on/off -- less likely to accidentally turn it on in your pocket. also (most likely) the reason i didn't loose it when i got robbed last year as thus scumbags were too dumb to figure it out... (and too dumb to know what a compass is...

Last edited:

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Sofirn's SP40 18650/18350 head lamp is on sale. £16 without battery, £18 with. Sofirn ships good batteries (usually Samsung 30Q) so get the battery.

Arrived today. I hadn’t thought through the size for that style but it makes sense now that I think on what batteries it takes. Certainly not a headlight for running but will do nicely for other tasks.

No more torches now!!

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Arrived today. I hadn’t thought through the size for that style but it makes sense now that I think on what batteries it takes. Certainly not a headlight for running but will do nicely for other tasks.

No more torches now!!

Did it not come with the shorter battery tube, so can run it off a 18350?

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
It did.

It being large isn’t really a problem though - I have an olight H1, alpkit gamma, petzl tikka(of some variety) and a chest light for running.

Large and high capacity is handy!

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex

No more torches now!!

Yeah right! ;)

I’m sure you said somewhere, but what colour temp did you opt for Stew?

I see they also produce them in desert tan or green, but only the cool white led unfortunately. I’d have gone for one in green at 4000k.

Last edited:

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Yeah right! ;)

I’m sure you said somewhere, but what colour temp did you opt for Stew?

I see they also produce them in desert tan or green, but only the cool white led unfortunately. I’d have gone for one in green at 4000k.

4000k. It’s a warm white, though haven’t actually used it more than a quick check it works then put away.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
4000k. It’s a warm white, though haven’t actually used it more than a quick check it works then put away.

Probably a good choice for a long runtime head torch. I’m tempted by the cooler tint green version. Though like you, I’ve sworn off buying any more torches. :D

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Must admit that one of my pet hates with many modern torches/headlights is the single button to control it and it scrolls through several settings (including the B€@$!~# flashing mode) and by the time I've done it I just want to bray the torch with a hammer.
Different settings? Yeah, fine but either have it so it starts back on the setting you used last or have a different control that I hardly bother moving anyway.

Reactions: Minotaur

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
Must admit that one of my pet hates with many modern torches/headlights is the single button to control it and it scrolls through several settings (including the B€@$!~# flashing mode) and by the time I've done it I just want to bray the torch with a hammer.
Different settings? Yeah, fine but either have it so it starts back on the setting you used last or have a different control that I hardly bother moving anyway.
I’m the same, give me a button to turn it on/off and a dial or similar for the settings if you insist.

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I don’t mind it too much (apart from the high strobe function - very annoying!) but prefer it when the torch starts low brightness and goes higher.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
That is what I like about the Coast Torches they have a separate button for the Red LED. The white does have that annoying scroll thing however no flash mode. It would be nice to be able to choose between turning on starting with brightest or lowest.

Reactions: demographic

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I have to admit that I like the Silva MR350 that I've been using these past few months. It tilts, has orange and red l.e.d. options as well as three levels of white light from blinding to reading. It is also water-resistant, a facility that is useful when out and about, certainly in the U.K.. It's also pretty compact and runs on 3AAA batteries that are easy to replace and actually last a long time.

Having tried a range of torches over the years, I have to admit to being very impressed with the simplicity and durability of this one.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I’m mostly commenting just to follow the discussion as it’s been interesting and informative so far.

That said I guess I’m luckier with the map issue. All of our aviation charts and military grade maps are “red light readable.” Basically meaning they don’t have any colors that would disappear in red light (really a simple matter of replacing red ink with magenta)

Reactions: demographic

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE