Hazel sticks and the like...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tomteifi

Nomad
Jan 22, 2016
Carmarthenshire, South Wales
Spotted a nice, growing hazel branch yesterday on a tree which had been coppiced many years ago. There are a dozen or more similar branches sprouting from around the stump, some coming from the stump and some from underground. The one I am interested in has a most marvellous ivy branch twisted around it along most of its length(about 6ft.). It really is gripping it tightly. I have permission from the landowner to remove it and keep it and I am wondering if anyone knows how best to do this to preserve its integrity without damaging the tree. This branch comes from under the ground and I cannot yet see where it spurs from the tree. Am I right in thinking that's where it should be parted from the tree? Or is there another way? Didn't have a camera with me but I will 'snap' it today and post if needed.

thanks

Tom:)

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Don't worry about finding where it spurs from the main trunk.

With Hazel it's perfectly ok to cut branches about 6" - 12" about the ground. This will then allow new growth to sprout without any harm. Essentially you'll be starting a new coppicing on the tree :)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
It's a good time to cut sticks just now, there's an old saying that the best time to cut a stick is when you see it but now in the dormant period is best. Cut the Hazel just above ground level and it'll fire away again from the site of the cut, maybe even this Spring. Sometimes really good and interesting handle/grip shapes can be had by tracing below the surface and cutting deeper down; sounds destructive but Hazel is especially hardy and will
grow away from almost any cut site.

Are you sure it's not Honeysuckle you can see winding up along the stick? if so you may want to leave it 'till next Winter and you'll possibly get a "twister" where the Honeysuckle costricts the width of the growing wood in a barley twist spiral pattern.

A phot would make things clearer, though. :)

Tomteifi

Nomad
Jan 22, 2016
Thanks for your replies. Great, you've got me there on the honeysuckle or ivy at the moment until I examine more closely! Could be h/s. However, I can definitely say its been growing like this for several years if not more. The 'twister' is quite thick, about an inch so I don't think leaving much longer will increase its appeal. The twister is as long as the stick. If it is h/s should I treat it any differently? Is it useable? etc.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Thanks for your replies. Great, you've got me there on the honeysuckle or ivy at the moment until I examine more closely! Could be h/s. However, I can definitely say its been growing like this for several years if not more. The 'twister' is quite thick, about an inch so I don't think leaving much longer will increase its appeal. The twister is as long as the stick. If it is h/s should I treat it any differently? Is it useable? etc.

No need to treat it differently if it's honeysuckle or ivy.

Ivy has shiny triangular leaves present all the year round whereas Honeysuckle sheds its leaves for the winter.

As for uses, both are great sources of materials for different firelighting methods :)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
The usual thing is to remove the climber after you've cut the stick so as to accentuate the effect, but you don't have to - just a matter of taste and custom. Whether it's H/s or Ivy you can treat it the same way.

Apart from the welfare of the plant you're cutting from and respect for it's environs, there are no rules; the only way to learn is to experiment after taking advice, as you have done, so good luck with it and post results!!!

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
From :- Post #27 http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53437
big%20stick%202_zpsgmre7aoh.jpg~original

:jacked: :sad6:

Tomteifi

Nomad
Jan 22, 2016
Thanks for posting that. I think now, that's what I've got, or at least, getting. Not quite as tight a grip on this one though, not as much compression on the wood but still good. Did you make yours? Any secrets to impart-process etc. e.g. how do you get the bark off the vine without touching the stick etc?

thanks

Tom.

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
No need to treat it differently if it's honeysuckle or ivy.

Ivy has shiny triangular leaves present all the year round whereas Honeysuckle sheds its leaves for the winter.

As for uses, both are great sources of materials for different firelighting methods :)

Just to add to this honeysuckle grows up clockwise as per the images of the walking sticks where ivy tends to just grow up with little twisting.
Ivy also has suckers along its length which it uses to attach itself to whatever it is climbing.

Tomteifi

Nomad
Jan 22, 2016
Well, here it is in all its glory. Its a good 6ft long at the moment and a bit weighty(I realise it will get somewhat lighter as it dries) There is also a fair old bend in it (a touch of peyrones perhaps lol) Do I seal the ends now? How can it be straightended and when should that be done? So many questions...and goddamnitall...photobucket is down for maintenance..stand by...its back on today so here goes.....

Last edited:

Tomteifi

Nomad
Jan 22, 2016
If it would help, I would e-mail them my tricky rocket whippet-now she would get rid of the little booger in very short measure- circa 1/2 a nano second.
Cat tartare at her gallop makes quite a mess.....:yikes: actually, its more like cat tarra than tartare.

Last edited:

Tomteifi

Nomad
Jan 22, 2016
The one and only time there will be any burning of this will be when they shove me out to sea in a Viking longboat to the haunting sounds of the horn.
Anyway, they'll have to put it there to keep the lid down on the coffin 'cos I don't like cold sea water...Brrrr.....

Tomteifi

Nomad
Jan 22, 2016
To take out the bends out it to something straight and rigid (I have used car roof bars) and - yes, I would seal it now:)
Sorry John couldn't possibly use :censored: It watches me tie me shoe laces these days when at one time it used to watch me brushing my teeth.
I knew I could rely already on you, thank you. Its lying in my garage looking like robin hood has just dropped it but all that will change within the hour(just hope they don't bury me on top of the wardrobe if it all goes horribly wrong!)

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Cheers, learning every day mate. Its definitely h/s.:)

Good one. Ivy doesn't strangle stems, it grows with them. The demise of a tree from Ivy comes from its leaves shading the trees leaves, or the sail effect leading to windblow.

Look out for horizontal growing Hazel that has thrown up long, straight stems. Cut either side leaving about 4-5" each side of the growth and season. When seasoned (year), cut back the supporting branch and shape. Cut to size. That's called a knobstick round this way. Really nice sticks.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Just to comment on the original question re cutting where it spurs off. Don't. When cutting a branch, cutting it flush with the trunk is not a good idea, and the tree doesn't like it. You want to cut a few inches off the main trunk, and at an angle so that any rain runs off the cut surface, and doesn't pool where it may cause rot/mould.

HTH

J

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE