Hawthorne walking stick

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Well if you dry it with the bark off, once its dry you don't get much choice whether the bark stays on :D

I quite like the look of hawthorn bark so i say leave it on. But thats just my opinion whether it is the best way to work with it, I have no idea.

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
d'ya know i found a good piece of hawthorne too the other day....its a tad short for me but i think i'll make a stick out of it anyway. i'll find someone to make use of it :rolleyes:

definitely keep the bark on tho it as a lovely deep colour once seasoned.

ps. where abouts in west yorks are you?

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
The stickmaking fraternity make sticks in many different combinations of wooden shank with handles in a contrasting wood, antler or horn (and also thumbsticks etc in single pieces). Part of the attraction is the varying shades and textures of the different barks and how well they combine with horn and antler spacers and different handles. Some people peel the bark, particularly with holly, and then use different techniques to stain it or "flume" it with various preparations of ink or coffee or ammonia. Then, lightly sanded with steel wool and oiled, some wonderful effects are obtained as the markings of the grain are enhanced. Personally I have to say I've dabbled with this last technique without much success, but I have seen some wonderful creations by other people. Finally, it is possible to strip bark after the shank has seasoned for 12 months or so and some people prefer to do it this way in order to avoid splitting of the shank while it dries out. The seasoned shank needs to be thoroughly soaked first - my friend says just leave it outside on the lawn overnight in the rain but it's easier to use the bath ! Ultimately your desicion is about whether you like the bark pattern of your stick and is one of personal taste. Good luck.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
hang it somewhere out of the way with a block on the bottom.. by the time you old enough (and short) to need it it will be nice and straight :D

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Bark on
Slows down the drying so there's less tendancy to split and you always have the option of taking it off later anyway.

Cheers

Mark

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
bit late now but places like the Penistone Show (think its around first wknd in sept??) and other country shows always have walking stick whittlers. there's usually a competition and for many differerent walking stick categories; crooks, plain, ones with antler etc etc. its always interesting to have a look at the different styles and techniques.

"hang it somewhere out of the way with a block on the bottom.. by the time you old enough (and short) to need it it will be nice and straight"

ha ha :D

"Shipley area"

i'm more Wakefield way but my missus is from Salts.

ps. Eds please check out http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?p=110929#post110929

Sep 11, 2005
leave bark on and put stick in rafters of shed for twelve months. you can easily bend it later using a paint heat gun by getting it hot. ps the best time to cut a stick is when you find it.

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
If you want to really reduce the risk of it twisting/splitting when it dries, then saw both ends flat, and then dip in melted wax, and dry with the bark on. That way it will dry out evenly, rather than drying more quickly at the open ends.

Alternatively, strip the bark, cut/carve to your ideal shape, then keep oiling with linseed oil or similar to replace the water lost as it dries.

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
Another trick is to seal both ends with some varnish to reduce the chance of splitting - the ends are usually removed when you cut it to your required size when dry and to fit the handle. In relation to shaping etc, the reason it is common practice to leave for 12 months ( or 1 year per inch) is that if you straighten a slightly bent shank, through steam or heat treatment, there is a possibility that it will spring back to its original shape again if it has not been thoroughly dried out. Also any carving could split when the wood dries. Finally, if you're sealing with a finished coat of varnish or oil etc, again moisture will be trapped in.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE