Hawthorn Blossom

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
CIMG0736_sm.jpg

I haven't seen much mention of hawthorn [strike: whatever this is] blossom. I gave it a go. t's a tad bitter at first, but chew it a while and this wonderful almond flavour comes in.

Can anything tasty be done with it? Is it actually good to eat?!

Butchd

Forager
Feb 20, 2007
Surrey
I hate to say this, but that doesn't look like hawthorn blossom to me, if the picture is what you were eating. Hawthorn produces leaves before flowers as does apple, blackthorn and cherry produce flowers and then leaves.

Steve R

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
Lincolnshire UK
Its Blackthorn

piccy

The Almond flavour will be the cyanide.

Constituents:
The flowers contain traces of flavonoid and cyanogenic glycosides, such as kaempferol and amygdaline (although amygdaline is lost on drying), sugar, tannins and vitamin C (in fresh material).
The fruits contain tannins, organic acids, pectins, sugar, vitamin C and a gum.

source

P

Philr

Reading this thread cracked me up,
Ive eaten all sorts only to find out you shouldn't but im still here!!!
Dont want to be rude SteveR but your pic is that a floating turd?? LOL :lmao:

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
dragging us back to hawthorn - i've eaten hawthorn leaf buds before and think they are quite nice (and this had nothing to do with there was nowt else to eat in the wood other than the odd nettle:lmao: )

Steve R

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
Lincolnshire UK
Philr said:
Dont want to be rude SteveR but your pic is that a floating turd?? LOL :lmao:

Dayum, you sussed me !!! :D

Its a sea otter.

I recognised the flowers and knew about the cyanide because I saw them on RM Wild Food, Ray ate some in a wild salad, so I guess a few is ok.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Biddlesby said:
Cyanide tastes nice!

I've heard the death cap is tasty too. Might see if I can find one of those.

Hi Biddlesby,if you plan on eating death caps then i would say that it won't be Sloe flowers you'll have to worry about,it'll be the Daises that your pushing up. :D

xylaria

Death cap are tasteless. There is alot of seriously poisonious stuff out there that is completely tasteless, odourless, or sweet and juicy. And there is also alot of edible plants that taste or smell pretty disgusting.

Blackthorn flowers are prefectly edible. The website that was quoted by Steve R also as well as saying they have TRACE amounts cyangenic glycosides goes on tell you how to make tea out them later.

I far as I know no native member of the prunus group causes poisoning. The problem species are cherry laurel, chokecherry and american wild cherry. Most of the serious problems occur in ruminants not humans. We have a stong acid stomach and the liver of an omnivore and we are actualy really good at breaking down poisons. We are not sheep or cows, the acid in our stomachs pretty much stops the hydrogen-cyanide from coming out of the plant. Humans are evovled to eat plants that contian small amounts of amygdalin.

All I do is trust my liver, eat wild foods, smoke, drink beer, look up whether a plant has ever poisoned anyone ever, and remember that nutmeg is 2% benzene.:nana:

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Biddlesby said:
Cyanide tastes nice!

I've heard the death cap is tasty too. Might see if I can find one of those.
If you are going to eat Death Caps can I suggest you post your gear up here first!! :lmao: :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE