Hawthorn berry leather

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Tried my hand at making Hawthorn berry leather today. Spent an hour harvesting berries as they were all 'red and shiny'. Knowing that it was my first attempt, didn't want to over do it, so I half filled a tescos carrier bag and returned home.
They were washed and de stalked, I then crushed them in my hands ala uncle Ray, and they were very dry so had to add water.
What I ended up with was about half a dozen tablespoons of gloop.
This promptly jellyfied, and as it was evening, the sliced leather was put in a low oven for a few hours.

The leather has now dried, but still warm.
It tastes quite sweet, but tastes more like the leaves.

I'm quite impressed with my first attempt, and will harvest more soon.

8asedehy.jpg

a9yqyvu5.jpg

u2azegyv.jpg

sent from my Jelly Bean'd galaxy nexus.

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
We tried this a couple years back. Was very tasty, added a little Cinnamon to it. Only trouble was the pips got in it and you could crack a tooth on them!

Jul 11, 2012
United Kingdom
I cannot believe it mate ive done the exact same thing today collected the berrieds crushed them and now they are drying out in the oven i cant beileve weve done the same thing, i added a bit of honey to mine just to sweeten it ive still got some from 2 years ago that still tastes fine

Last edited:

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
I cannot believe it mate ive done the exact same thing today collected the berried crushed them and now they are drying out in the oven i cant beileve weve done the same thing i added a bit of honey to mine just to sweeten it ive still got some from 3 years ago that still tastes fine

Have to try yours bud, see how they compare. Turns out Wynn covert is full of apple and pear trees, gooseberries and deer seen recently too!

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
I bumped into a couple of elderly guys who know the woods like their hands. They told me a little of its history.

Coincidence with the berries eh. You only mentioned it the other week.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE