Have women evolved so much?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Women ain't "lesser" than men - we all have our strengths and weaknesses and I could not do half as well as my wife in most of what she does!

Bloody well said that man!

made me laugh on the sewing front too as i'm the one that sews/repairs anything in our house, also i can iron and she can't. its just when i can be bothered or if her work tunics need pressing :D
here's a good one tho, she drives and i do not. she's a good driver too, but she's a bloody awful navigator so thats my job, good thing i can read maps ;)

relfy

Nomad
okay guys lets cut to the chase men are definatly the underdog in the race for the better sex

why well cos with out the most important woman in my life i wouldnt be the man i am today. cos yes i dont have a wife but mum is definatly not a woman to mess with as mary will testify being a mum herself and knowing what lads are like.
now lets move on to the girlfriend who well puts up with me and i am hyperactive u know and have an inability to not buy the next piece of shiny outdoor gear.

yes me and the girlfriend are equal and always will be and we help each other in anyway we can but please note we are also individual.

so my question is this and that even tho women do get tret like the underdogm, (by some men not me or anyone i know) is it in fact us men trying to hide the fact that they are actually better than we are, the reason i ask is cos my grandma had a saying and that was "behind every super great man there is a woman some were" and i agree cos with out the above two woman i wouldnt be the man i am cos they have either brought me up and help me with any problems or has been my solemate and bestfriend.

your opinions please

Drew, you are absolutely right :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Glad to see you bought that relfy

I have a lovely beach front property in Birmingham if you are interested?

:D

caliban

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 16, 2008
edinburgh
Pango said:
Caliban, have you been at the batter? You certainly seem to be desperate for someone to take your bait!

What are you talking about dude? How is pointing out that describing an aggressively defensive personality as a "Black girl thing" stereotyping, "bait"?

You need settle down and remember your manners mate.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
NO! it's the reason i enter the Gadget show comp every week.

Just entered it this week. Wow! If I won all that stuff I would have to get a paypal account and ebay account just to sell most of it. Would you actually want to keep it all? The outdoor stuff and the remote control helicopters I'd probably sell on as its not what I want. Cooking stuff I'd keep. Keep looking at breadmakers but then I see one at a fraction of the price, its called a bread tin and figure why do you actually need a breadmaker when you can do it all yourself then put it in the tin and bake it as its supposed to be baked. Then different makers are better at different types of breads (sweet or savoury). Does that mean you need two? An oven and bread tin makes them all. BTW does that make me a woman too? Growing up the only person to make our bread was me Dad, to me bread making is mans work. They both did the cooking too depending on who was home at meal time first. I'm the same I do all my own cooking apart from takeaways of course. But then I live alone (probably tell but work in progress, i.e. I'm being changed).

BTW all those eulogising their better half are you the same as when you met or have you been changed? Rhetorical question as I know which it will be. I once heard someone saying that in a room of men, if there are no women present are they still wrong? Kind of a tree falling in the oods sound question. Also something about being outnumbered if a woman enters the room too.

Anyway What is your enlightened view on equal prize money at Wimbledon for men playing up to 5 sets and women only playing up to 3 sets?

How did this thread start again?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Let me catch the Wimbledon question...

Its nothing to do with the effort involved...its to do with the money each sport attracts. If women's tennis attracted the same amount of sponsorship - which is in turn driven by advertising, which is in turn driven by viewing figures, then the rewards would be the same. They aren't so the aren't.

Prize money in sport is driven by economics, it is not a "gender issue". More "sport hours" are watched by men, who prefer to watch male sports in the main. This drives advertising revenue and prize money.

If women watched more (womens) sports, the prize money would increase

Its really that simple.

For me, I think, in many sports, there should be no "men's game" and "women's game" - just a sport. It completely escapes me why, for example, there is men's and women's shooting. Physical stature and strength have no part to play - so why have a women's event?

Last edited:

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I would keep every thing, I need all those Gadget in my garage, to build a monster. using my multi tool.
mcgyver-paperclip.jpg

M

Murph

I have to admit my woman is pretty dozy .Just the other day we where walking the dogs and she points to a small tree"oh hey what kind of tree is that I've never saw one of them before"
At that I pointed to the fully grown silver birch behind it and says "its a young one of them ,which is a silver birch"
"no"she says"thats too small".
She is a good cook though

[video=youtube;LS37SNYjg8w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS37SNYjg8w[/video]

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Let me catch the Wimbledon question...

Prize money in sport is driven by economics, it is not a "gender issue". More "sport hours" are watched by men, who prefer to watch male sports in the main. This drives advertising revenue and prize money.

If women watched more (womens) sports, the prize money would increase

Its really that simple.

Erm! Can I just say that I'd rather watch the women's tennis than the mens? I'm sure I'm not alone in that but in my case its because I think it is less about the power serve and more about what I consider tennis. I find it more interesting to see more of the longer rallies in womens tennis than there are in the men's tennis. I'm sure women's tennis has quite a large male following. BTW the women's tennis argument was something brought up as IIRC they started to get larger viewing audiences. It is unlike other gender sports like football in that the following is suficiently large to warrent advertising from large corporations. It does generate good revenues from tv advertising so why not making the differences in prize fund closer? It has happend but I just believe that they are more entertaining but shorter due to less sets so perhaps less bang for your buck so to speak. WOmen's footbale andcricket are not anywhere close to women's tennis for advertising revenue.

I agree with things like shooting. Why is there a difference. Perhaps archery is different due possible different draw weights that men can utilise but not guns.

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I wouldn't draw weight would even be a issue, accuracy is the goal isn't it? so if your shooting over a set distance with people of similar abilty, then you will all be on a level pegging.

telwebb

Settler
Aug 10, 2010
Somerset, UK
Just to clarify, in 'normal' archery tournaments it is more common for there to be a ladies competition at one set of distances and a gents at another (longer) set although both held at the same time. There are crossovers but not that many. The 'everybody shoots at one and the same distance' format was developed especially for the television-viewing public who would otherwise drift off to sleep watching a traditional format.

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
What I ment(it didn't come across well) If you take the distance out of the equation, it's just a question of accuracy, so if a female is able to physicaly shoot out to say 30 meters accuratly, and a male can shoot out to 40 with the same degree of accuracy, then the distance no longer matters, as they are both shooting at there max range. I think thats what i mean.

I think we are now firmly out of bushcraft chatter though! YAY. it wends and weaves where does it end? you wouldn't belive.

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
How is pointing out that describing an aggressively defensive personality as a "Black girl thing" stereotyping, "bait"?

You need settle down and remember your manners mate.

The only one who has made that assumption so far is you. And that also applies to your feeble attempts at intimidation!

Last edited:

caliban

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 16, 2008
edinburgh
"The only one who has made that assumption so far is you"

It was raised by one poster and pretty clearly endorsed by another poster, you maybe want to start engaging with reality before you graduate to debating?

Intimidation? Have you got some kind of persecution mania?

For myself, I'll continue to regard the "don't **** with me, Black girl" stereotype as belonging to the same patronizing cliche box as the "magical negro" trope, denounced by Spike Lee.

Aug 24, 2010
North Wales
Whoa, there, Caliban and Pango! Easy, tigers! You'll be getting your handbags out next. In the words of Johnny Rambo, "Let it go. LET IT GO".

Thanks for the welcome, Wayland; but, good God, man, look what you've started ;). Ravenlore Bushcraft's a cracking website, by the way; as is Waylandscape (loved the photies - particularly Cwm Orthin: it's just down the road from me).

Last edited:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Pango is talking about GBS book, The Black Girl in Search of God.

Which is a nice dissertaion on philosophy and theology, and very funny too.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Whoa, there, Caliban and Pango! Easy, tigers! You'll be getting your handbags out next. In the words of Johnny Rambo, "Let it go. LET IT GO".

Thanks for the welcome, Wayland; but, good God, man, look what you've started ;). Ravenlore Bushcraft's a cracking website, by the way; as is Waylandscape (loved the photies - particularly Cwm Orthin: it's just down the road from me).

It's amazing what people find to argue about on a forum isn't it.

Someone posted up a very good cartoon about it a while ago but I can't find it now.

Glad you like the sites and I assure you it's not always like this.

caliban

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 16, 2008
edinburgh
Tengu said:
Pango is talking about GBS book, The Black Girl in Search of God

Thanks for the clarification, whatever the origin, it still seems to me that we are deploying a stereotype. It seems to me that the people who make the most noise about stereotypes just want to replace an old set of stereotypes with a new one in which all Black "girls" are feisty and dynamic, Americans from the Southern States are all racist religious fanatics waiting for the rapture to cleanse mankind, all Eastern (Central) Europeans are workaholics, and all Arabs are gentle, honest and mannerly. Sounds like as big an agenda driven load of tosh to me as the last lot of stereotypes. Just shows you that people with similar interests can have wildly different world views. Just to say I've nothing against Pango and enjoy his posts. He knows much more about bushcrafty things than I do anyway. I just don't share his political perspective, big deal, I've got five brothers and none of us agree about anything.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
It's amazing what people find to argue about on a forum isn't it.

Someone posted up a very good cartoon about it a while ago but I can't find it now.

Glad you like the sites and I assure you it's not always like this.

Amazing isn't it - but amusing to see how a thread can wander away from the original post and cause unrelated and heated "discussion" ...in a kind of wierd way I suppose :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE