Have women evolved so much?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
From where I stand you sound like the kind of men who would buy her a food processor or new washing machine for her birthday :rolleyes: Toddy

Toddy, Nothing so grand, although I did buy my 1st wife an ironing board and a pair of Marigolds for her Christmas but, in my defence, it was a parting shot!

It's handbags that are the bane of my life now. Not long ago I was dragged by the ear to Oxford Street to look at handbags. It's the only time in my life I've ever suggested Tiso's with a view to saving myself some cash!

Caliban, I see from your previous post that you have more to contribute than that.

Besides, my Baby is crap at camping and still holds me personally responsible for the midgie bites she got on her butt in a shower block on Arran, even though I had made the sacrifice of taking her to a posh campsite!

She's so Precious that she's made of sugar and is likely to dissolve if exposed to the rain, and associates Bushcraft with the people who 'walk with the heels of their shoes crushed down' where her father comes from in the Guyanese Interior!

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
Ha, ha, you never know EdS. The Great Outdoors has a myriad of less pleasant things that can happen to a man!

Last edited:

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Pango - Have you ever walked around Ulpha in the Lakes? Bottom end of the Duddon valley. There is a general store and post office that has an outbuilding on the side which has been converted into an information centre. I kid you not but it sells leather handbags. Its miles from anywhere built up, the nearest place to use one would be Barrow or Ulverston yet it has handbags on sale!! I was there with a group and one of the lasses went in. Luckily I spotted them before she did and managed to manipulate her into getting out on the grounds we had to move on in the walk. Boy! Was that a near miss! She was the type to be into shopping too.

Obviously it was a crafty businessman (more likely business woman as man can not be so crafty and wouldn't be so cruel to fellow man). A devious mind.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
When I'm out and about wildcamping and the like I prefer to carry kit with multiple uses as much as possible. Reading some of the recent posts I am starting to like the idea of the piece of kit called "wife". It seems to me to have plenty of multiple uses from carrying gear, cooking, cleaning and a bit of the other. Only trouble is, it would seem it is hard to find a lightweight version!! :D

<Should I run and hide now?>

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
Paul_B, you should be made aware that "Toddy Is Watching You!"

In the meantime, Southey, I'm legging it in yet another direction as I'd prefer not to be skinned alive for Aiding and Abetting! :hammock:

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Pango - thanks for the heads up. I hope that doesn't count as helping a fugitive evade justice. :D

Toddy - My one and only dodgy post I think you'll find and besides I'm easily led by others. It was true about the handbag though. Still can't believe they would have them in an information point like that.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I got a handbag at the car boot, a nice tooled leather one.

Do i pass it onto one of you to turn into a man bag, or do I do it myself?

I love the Black Girl too, Pango.

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
Caliban, have you been at the batter? You certainly seem to be desperate for someone to take your bait!
The "stereotyping" you speak of is a defence of those ignorant, small-minded individuals with a pathological need for someone to feel superior to.

I defy anyone to split more than a couple of alleles between me, a 6' hairy-ersed Scotsman, and the people of the Kalahari who may well be the direct descendants of our common ancestors. I feel confident in saying that the vast majority here would agree that theirs should be a place of honour... unfortunately, there's no monetary value in it!

I was sacked from a job in Egypt once by a bigoted religious maniac from Alabama, who took exception to the fact that the Egyptians called me "Bill Khabir" and finally got his chance when he caught me sitting drinking hot sweet coffee with them behind an anchor winch. I knew he would catch me and I knew he would sack me, but I'd rather have lost my job than be discourteous and have them associate me with him!

The same bigoted religious maniac from Alabama came into my room once and asked me who was on the wall-poster with the beard and the crazy hair. He went away ecstatic when I told him it was Groucho's brother, Karl.

I can assure you, it would be difficult to feel superior to a man like my Father in Law, whose first words to me were, "So Boy, what kinda Ras Fool we got here then?"
It was unfortunate that I asked him to repeat the question.

Last edited:

Lordyosch

Forager
Aug 19, 2007
Bradford, UK
It always amuses me to see the looks on my female colleagues faces when I tell them that 'In my house ironing and washing are women's work' -What I don't tell them is that hoovering and cleaning the kitchen is my work!

I've done well with the Mrs I reckon, she's indulging of my hobbies and interests and even lets me disappear for the occasional weekend!

We share the chores and things seem to flow nicely.

Jay

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
It always amuses me to see the looks on my female colleagues faces when I tell them that 'In my house ironing and washing are women's work' -What I don't tell them is that hoovering and cleaning the kitchen is my work!

I've done well with the Mrs I reckon, she's indulging of my hobbies and interests and even lets me disappear for the occasional weekend!

We share the chores and things seem to flow nicely.

Jay

I can understand that - sewing is my responsibility but the only time I willingly pick up an iron is when I am pressing open seams on my latest sewing project.
Neither of us like hoovering or dusting - so it rately gets done - but I am in sole charge of keeping the "library" - an alcove where most of our books and my collection of knives and souvineers live as I am the only one with patience enough to reorganise the dispays in an artistic manner :)

I am not as good cook as my wife but I have more of an interest in making wine/flavoured spirits and my nettle beer and elder cordial are great favourites - so I get to make these.

As far as gardening goes...I am good at killing things rather than getting them to grow - so she grows the veg and flowers, I look after the firewood (I grow some trees in the hedge just for supplying some of the wood we burn) and fight for the life of my nettle patches (weeds in her eyes, wine, beer and cordage in mine!) and harvest the nasturtium seeds (great pickled) and do the more "brute force" jobs as I am still (despite my various injuries) more heavily muscled than my better half!

A division of labour (fair or unfair depending on viewpoint :) ) according to ability and interest seems the way forward and although it may look like I get away with doing less (OK so that is probably true...) the arrangement works and we have kept together for over 35 years now!

Women ain't "lesser" than men - we all have our strengths and weaknesses and I could not do half as well as my wife in most of what she does!

Vive la difference!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE