Hatchet belt carry sheath.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Hi All,

Bit more elbow rehab in the form of leather work :) This will be the last for a bit as it might be time to get back on the wood tools :headbang:

So this old hatchet was in dire need of a new sheath. It had been clothed in hand-me-down sheath's from my other axes so it was time for some new.

As usual before making anything I usually look up the work of others on here for inspiration/cheating. This time it was Luckylee which is often the case. He came up with this design where the axe comes up out the top. Its a little rushed as I wanted it finished to try it out in the woods, the build is a bit tricky to get a snug fit so its a little tight but from experience that never lasts. Seems to work pretty well although I dont know how much time I will carry any axe on my belt but it is handy.
Few pics.

IMAG3750_zps41da7daa.jpg

IMAG3758_zps7d9e2008.jpg

IMAG3761_zps7f521dab.jpg

IMAG3765_zps02996989.jpg

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
That's a nice bit of leather work that. Like you I would only be wearing the axe on my belt around camp when setting up. Rest of the time these days it's in/attached to the sack. Used to have an underarm carry for my old snedding axe when I used one.

Lovely work though I really like it.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Thats a nice Mask for the Axe, I tend to use my belt loop for carrying my hand axes and have sperate masks, have thougth about a simular things, but always said na stay as you are, may well have to try it on the next mask I make :)

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Thanks all. Design is all LuckyLee mind.

It is very comfortable as its not right on the hip so you can sit down with it on. Found it handy when off looking for firewood, means you can use both hands to carry the wood back to camp. Plus there is less chance of putting the sheath down and forgetting where you left it! again,,

Only downside I can see is you have to be quite careful sheathing an unsheathing, just watching fingers is all. I decided this should go blade facing back on the left hip as the knife is usually right.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Ah fair enough, that sounds decent then! Is it quite awkward trying to get it in and out each time?

Its mainly because its on your belt and it has to come in high then down. Just takes a little more thought which isn't a bad thing.
Think it will need more use before judging but its different enough to give it a whirl.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE