Hat repair help!

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
My hat has been squished and it seems to be terminal.

The brim has been all bent out of shape at the front (bloomin' would be there!) and no matter what tweaking I have tried, it wouldn't go back.

I made the assumption that the brim has a leather cord in the fold so tried a quick soak then flattening it between two lumps of granite.

No joy.

This is what it looks like at the moment:

IMG_1097.jpg

As I said - terminal!

I have searched the internet to look for some tips on repair but I couldn't find anything so I thought I may as well cut it open to see what I could find out.

I have only opened a little section so far and what do you know, it's not leather in there but a spring:

IMG_1096.jpg

The spring has obviously been over bent in a few places so it'll have to be removed.

Does anyone know of somewhere I can get a replacement spring or have suggestions for an alternative (ie a length of leather lace - I have no idea if it would work correctly!)

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
....a quick soak then flattening it between two lumps of granite.
The things we do!:lmao:

How about taking the spring out to see how it looks? Perhaps you could put a piece a wire inside the spring, or use some wire (coat hanger type) to replace the spring?

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Coat hanger wire would work but it would be totally inflexible. Better to go to a music shop and buy the thickest guitar string (for a base guitar) that you can find. That'll do it.

Eric

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Whatever way you decide to go, you will have to resort to some finicky un-picking of the rim bezel strip......insert your stiffener...and then sew it all up again.

You could still probably get hands on a proper cap "stiffener" from a uniform supplier; but these were spring steel strips and were inserted depthwise, which probably wouldnt give you much flexibility thereafter.

I made a couple of leather wide-brims, last year, and found that two full turns of strimmer flex was more than adequate.
Just measure off, a little oversize( for side tension) and then tack it to the brim edge with a continuous half hitching (or marl), then resew the bezel strip back on again.

Oh, and tape the joint of the strimmer flex to stop further movement, and position this joint at the stern of the hat brim...but if you dont tape it securely, then the whole thing will "spring" to a smaller circumference.

It really is much easier than it sounds.

Ceeg

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
The things we do!:lmao:

I know! :D

How about taking the spring out to see how it looks?

Yeah, I didn't want to go too far too soon. I want to mark a couple of holes to make sure I line up properly when restitching.

Coat hanger wire would work but it would be totally inflexible. Better to go to a music shop and buy the thickest guitar string (for a base guitar) that you can find. That'll do it.

Eric

Fantastic Eric! I had a suspicion you would come up with an idea....

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
"......insert your stiffener..."

Nice one Seagull

I would be a bit careful as the thickest string on a bass guitar is really quite a hefty beast it may be too heavy for the job maybe take the spring with you for comparison with the strings
sounds like a goer though
Hope it works

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
If you're careful, you would be able to thread the string around using the small hole you've already made. Make sure the tip of the string is blunt and smooth, maybe apply some solder to create a nice smooth end so that it doesn't catch on the way round.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Bass guitar strings are wrapped in brass, the core could well be steel though to activate the pickups. An acoustic bass may have all brass strings though, or a nickel content. This is to stop the natural acids in your oily hands from corroding your guitar strings. If I had some buckshee ones, I'd send you a few but I can't remember the last time I broke or changed strings. Watch me break one later now! :rolleyes:

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
The front without a wire in:

IMG_1184.jpg

IMG_1179.jpg

I thought it may need wet forming but thought I woud try the replacement wire first.

I had to pick holes in two other spots to get it through (I will resew the lot eventually)

Here's the front with the new wire:

IMG_1185.jpg

but now the back is a bit 'wangy':

IMG_1188.jpg

You can just sew the guitar string poking out. I suspect it's because it's not the same thickness all the way as the string is a fraction short to touch end to end. I may try combing a section of the old string at the back end in addition to the current wire.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE