Has anyone set up a tarp on an open beach

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Moodyforager

Mar 22, 2010
Herts
I wondering if anyone has done this I was thinking for shelter from wind and rain and asuming there is no structure present to aid pitching (other than any suipporting poles brought along) I was thinking of a lean to or pyramid type set up and useing plastic bags full of sand or shingle for ancorage. Do you think this will work.

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
I have bivvied in the sand dunes by the beach at Morar near Malaig on the west coast .
The same beach as in the film local hero.
I dug a shallow trench in the sand then put my basha over the top and weighed the sides down with sand .
very cosy but the sand was so soft that it kept filling in, spent 2 nights there cooking on a peat and driftwood fire .
was finding sand for months after, it gets everywhere!!

Craig............

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I have tied cord round a couple of sticks, about 12" long, and buried these as anchors. I found the pole needed something flat and wide under it to stop it slowly sinking into the sand.

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
i did this in Cornwall this summer,..

but we had a windbreak set up,.......i tied the tarp guys on the poles at the base of the windbreak (on the outside) and adjusted the them to slightly overlap the "wall",..

then on extendable 6-7 foot bivvi pole out in front gave a proper shelter for the girlies to natter under out of the rain while we played in the surf,..

waaay better than the one man halfords beach shelter we had,....

just a thought mate,..

12 of us spent nearly a month touring a different beach everyday and staying on it until the sun set,...and learnt quite a lot from doing it,....

we became proper beach tramps,....out of the month we had i think i had shoes on for about an hour a day,..now thats the sign of a good time in my book,..

people passing never failed to coment on our set up,....

got some improvements for planned for next year too,....and it all packs into a day sack each ,....(not counting the beer coolbox and windbreak)

i hope your beach dwelling is as enjoyable as mine was,....

cheers

Stu,....

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
I have another solution , You could come up to Edinburgh and build a quinzie on the beach:)
there is enough snow to build a snow hotel on the beach:lmao:

Craig...............

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
Raikey, if you ever fancy a trip up here pm me,think we are up there not this weekend but the next should be fun if the weather continues.

thats very good of you Andy, Thank you,...

i will deffo be in touch regards joining in with the guys ,...but unfortunatly not until into the new year,...

my beach camp usually ends at sunset,...and i thought i was hardcore being the last off the beach,....

but looking at the thread you linked,....wow,....

ive never beach camped over night , unless falling asleep on a pile of sunbeds in Corfu as a 19 year old counts!??

please do a thread covering the week after next , i would love to see a snowy beach camp.....

Cheers

Stu

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
mine is the dpm tarp mate next to Andy's with red sleeping bag ...

that was the one i liked,...my mate sleeps on the ground and always uses that configuration,...

were there nasties in the sand when it got dark,...??

i walked on a little cove in the dark one time and it came alive when i shone the torch at it!!!,..

little hopping critters,...not sure what they were tho,...

gsfgaz

Jul 19, 2009
Hamilton... scotland
dont know mate too busy sleeping , what yi dont know cant harm u or u would never sleep , i had my boy with me and he slept like a log ...

Oarsnpaddle

Forager
May 24, 2010
Greater Copenhagen
No, but on stoney beaches you should have no problems as long as the pegs are long enough and sturdy enough. I use some easton tent pegs, but in a pinch I guess you could use some small stuff bags and fill them with stones.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE