Has anybody,s dog had mange?

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
My Dog has developed a skin complaint on her back above the tail and also her belly area is quite red ,She has a light fawn coloured coat and in the areas affected the hair has a reddish colour to it .Also has a couple of small bald patches,anyone had any experience ?? Not sure if it is mange yet maybe an allergy!

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
Its always difficult to tell. I took a scraping of my spaniels sore patch and you could see the mites under a microscope, another dog had similar symptoms but it was a fungal infection.

Best off getting a doggy person to have a look.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
The skin and coat infections are notoriously difficult to diagnose in dogs; there are so many of them and this year's "mild'n'wet" has been a bonanza year for all the mites and the fungals. I would go ask the vet to have a quick look - I know they're outrageously expensive, but in my vets if you ask for an opinion from one of the practice nurse it often comes free, and their opinion reflects local conditions which is vital in an accurate diagnosis...................I hope this helps.

carabao

Forager
Oct 16, 2011
hove
My Ridgeback had what sounds like had the same skin problems, and it's cause was fox mite. Caught it in our garden. Diagnoses and treatment from vet, was simple, one jab, some tablets, and medicated shampoo.

Chilliphil

Forager
Nov 16, 2013
Hampshire
Quick diagnosis is important here. Our last dog (got from a rescue) had a tough life before us and came to us with terrible skin. We never did find out what it was. We ended up giving him weekly baths with strong medicated shampoo to give him some relief from the itching.

Get her to the vets for some peace of mind.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
Thanks lads yes i was taking her anyway ,i stripped all her coat out today and bathed her in medicated shampoo she seems a bit more settled.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Scratch her ear....if her back leg lifts.....it's mange....seriously.
Back in the day, we used to use some stuff from the chemist as a shampoo.always worked ......lot of years back , I've slept since then , but I'll see if I can recall what it was called . Used to come in a large chemist bottle about 3 litres .

Hope she's still feeling more settled Gill :thumbup:

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
033.jpg
She is a lurcher buddy,just scratched her ear Chis no leg movement haha.(this has cream, a weeks course of antibiotics and £60 quid written all over it!)I wish that b the case buddy the vet here is notoriously expensive £30 something for a consultation,then scrapings taken and checked in the lab etc ,Anti biotics and treatments and back once a week for a few .

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Might not be mange then buddy , an mange is usually more common in wharm months.....Did you try both ears ? If she does lift a leg ....then scrub your hands after.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE