Springer spaniel pup advice on winter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

davidpingu

Forager
Nov 3, 2012
Cwmbran
Hi all, I know this isn't really a dog advice forum as such but I couldn't really find the answer elsewhere online and I know there are others here with springers as companions. Provided her temperament develops into a dog that likes to stay close as opposed to one that's gone the moment she's off the lead I'm looking forward to taking her out on some woodland camping trips in the future. She's very faithful at the moment but am aware that this can quickly change!!

She's currently around 21 weeks old and a healthy weight. She's lean as she should be for this breed and her weight has been confirmed by our vet as correct.

But because she's lean and short haired breed I think she feels the cold much more than others. It's not particularly cold here in South Wales at around 9 degrees Celsius or so yesterday but I noticed that she does tend to shiver a lot during walks. She's still full of energy and bounds about but I notice it when she stops to smell things etc. Of course this doesn't help by the fact she's soaked through within 5 minutes of the walk. Typical spaniel really, looking as though she's been dunked in a river and dragged backwards through a hedge just by running across a field!

Obviously when she's wet like this she's going to feel colder but I just wondered what people suggested really as to weather to invest in a warm coat for her or not? Obviously being a working breed I am expecting that as she gets bigger she'll be better in colder temperatures when active but have any other owners found they've had to use coats on them at this age in winter months? Walks are typically 30 to 45 mins in duration.

Also as adult dogs, if you're camping out with them, What do you use to keep them warm for sleeping during the night?

Obviously I won't be looking to take her out camping with me until she's a little more mature but it would all be good info to know from people with first hand experience.

Thanks!

Dave

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
If car camping we take a wee separate dog crate and fill it with wool blankets. Otherwise just pack a single wool blanket and wrap our Springer collie cross up in it and she's warm and happy

A hot water bottle is also a lightweight and easy option

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I'm a Springer man, I've had a few in my time and have one now. I've never needed to put any kind of coat or jacket on any of them, except one that used to come on some of my more extreme trips and that was a neoprene wetsuit type jobby made to measure for her; she hated wearing it, smelt rancid for days afterwards and was far better off without it. They withstand really severe weather conditions as long as they're active and the best thing you can do is towel them off when it's time to rest for any longer than five minutes.

It'd be a mistake to think that a young bitch shivering is because of cold; it is much more likely to be excitement, tremors in growing joints and muscles, all perfectly normal; all mine have done it, and some grow out of it quicker than others, I think ten months or so is about the age most will grow into their own skins, so to speak.

Hamish has it right, above; the best thing for sleeping is a wool blanket, don't fold it in any way but bunch it up and let the dog scrat it about and get it how she wants, they're very good at arranging bedding to incorporate air and get it how it best suits the conditions. Be aware though that most Springers will be very active at night, they have a strong protective instinct and will respond to anything they perceive as a threat and it can become a bit tiresome until they mature.

I never had any trouble with wandering away, all mine have been readily called in. I think it's more entire dogs that tend to wander, one of the reasons I've always had bitches.......

Half to three quaters of an hour a few times a day is perfect for her age, make it a real pleasure each and every time she comes back to you and that will re-enforce the habit of not wandering. My girl can be a quarter mile from me in deep cover, and if I stop walking she'll be there within ten seconds to see if anything's wrong!

Enjoy your pup, they're a great breed and will bring you much pleasure, but try to not over-think things.......They're generally hard as nails, physically, and once you have their confidence they will make you aware when and if anything is wrong. Teach her to let you know if she gets anything in her paw, mine sits and holds up whichever one it is for me to sort out for her, and she now uses this as her signal to me that something is amiss.

Exercise will keep the dog warm in most situations , but a waterproof coat for driving rain is a good idea , for overnighters I use an old sleeping bag and a smallish dog's bed placed on a ground sheet .Do not hesitate to take the dog on overnighters at an early age, to make sure the dog can't wander use a wind in stake.
It is also a good idea to take an old towel with you, walking or camping so you can at least remove some of the water from their coat and wipe their paws clean

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have long hair. When it gets wet when I'm out it's thoroughly miserable. I feel sorry for sodden wet dogs in this climate.

Anyway, to the point…..go into one of the poundstores and they sell pull on mitt things meant to polish cars. They're made out of the same stuff that those lightweight towels are, but they're kind of covered in nubbly fingers of the stuff. Those mitts make absolutely brilliant things for drying off dogs :) and they wash and dry in no time too.
The tip came originally from next door's border collie owned neighbour, and as occasional entertainment for Son1's friend's mutt, who has yet to see a puddle he doesn't want to investigate :rolleyes: I can assure you that it works. Cheap too. I bought a couple of them :)

These are the things I mean.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-X-MICRO...527306?hash=item51d4527f4a:g:qJIAAOSwgQ9VpS9u

M

davidpingu

Forager
Nov 3, 2012
Cwmbran
Brilliant thanks everyone. Such helpful advice. I don't get on this forum as regularly as I should but the wealth of experience is excellent. I knew someone on here was bound to have springers and Macaroon your post was spot on. Great to hear from someone with that kind of first hand experience.

Glad to know I'm doing things right as she's my second dog in my adult life and I'm now very well aware that training mistakes made early on in a dogs life often have to be lived with for the rest of their days so I'm really keen to get this dog trained on the things I overlooked with my first.

To be fair to my first she has all the important stuff right. Shes a mongrel and going on 13. Heart of gold but a bit old to be taking out on camping trips. Great with the kids, exceptionally tolerant, never picked a fight with another dog in her life. Completely trusted off lead, even around sheep as she'll stay by my side but I know a spaniel can be capable of so much more.

We took both the dogs to the beach today. A new experience for the pup. It was very busy with a lot of other dogs but she was so good we had both dogs off lead for the whole time. I was worried with all the distractions of other dogs and people we'd struggle with obedience but her recall was excellent and I made sure she knew it every single time. She really has been a pleasure the past couple weeks as she's becoming much more aware of what the right behaviour is.

Thanks again everyone :)

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Friend of mine has a Cocker. John is a Munro bagger and he takes the dog. One day in wind and cold, the dog flagged badly and became hypothermic, resulting in a quick descent with the dog shoved up his Rab jacket. Since then he's coated the dog with a Ruffwear. His has a handle so he can carry the dog up some of the difficult rocky sections, but they do a fair range.

http://www.ruffwear.co.uk/dog-gear/dog-coats

My older Jack Russell is slowing down, so she has a waterproof fleece lined coat that's fine for south of England walking. Dogs do get cold, they burn loads of energy running miles while we stroll along in our cold weather gear.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE