Has anybody put a woodburner in their shed ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jack Bounder

Nomad
Dec 7, 2014
Dorset
I've fitted a wood burning stove in my house. It has a twin wall flue which must be kept at least 50mm from anything flammable. For the stove itself, the manufacturer provided various specs which needed to be met. You need to account for the possibility of stove being super-heated so that even when it is red hot, materials around the stove won't catch fire. There are also regulations which cover the hearth upon which the stove stands and how far it needs to extend around the stove.

In a domestic setting, you only need to provide ventilation for stoves over 5kW so my (Clear View Pioneer) stove does not require dedicated ventilation. Once the stove is up to temperature, the vents on the stove are more or less closed and it uses barely a breath of air. Of course, this also makes it very fuel efficient.

For several years the only heating in my house was from my burner. On a single occasion, early one morning, I filled it with wood, set it alight and then when about my normal morning routine of getting ready for work, getting the kids out of bed, etc, etc, etc. Anyway, I forgot to turn down the stove and when I finally remembered the stove had become completely red hot and was raging out of control. I managed to close the vents and, after some considerable time, the whole thing cooled down. It's at times like these that you are glad you followed the regulations. You need to get this stuff right if you want to avoid being burnt alive!

Previously, I lived in a caravan (in the woods) for over a year. I fitted a solid fuel stove and, because I was unaware of them, I didn't follow the regulations at all. I didn't have any trouble but, then again, I might have just been lucky....although there was the odd occasion where I had to sponge down the walls next to the burner with cold water because I was worried the caravan was going to catch alight :)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Select a wood stove ( you call them burners). Find the installation building code for your region and do accordingly.
Don't blink at the expense.
I heat my home ( 2 x 1200 sqft) with a Harman PP38+ compressed wood pellet stove. Maybe burn 5 tons/10,000lbs
per winter. Cost me more than $3K before I lit the first match. When compared with central heating = oil/propane/electric,
it paid for itself in less than 3 winters in fuel cost savings. The next 2 winter's savings paid for the whole solar system
as we can have power failures from none to several per day.

To go off grid at -35C and stay warm and make coffee in the morning, whatever you spend pays for itself,
psychologically, the very first time you turn on a light and start the coffee pot. It's been maybe 10 years.
Our frequent power failures have many causes.

What I'd really like, really, is some sort of heater that I could use in a 9' x 12' canvas tent.
To Hello with the inefficiency of heat loss. I want to be (barely) comfortable when the temp
sinks to freezing. Dang near cosy.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Thanks for the replies folks, we will be using a plate, then industrial fireblanket and topped with a lead tile for the moment. Cheers 👍

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Toasty.....cooked our tea on it last night ...mmmm
8d665a94eba325e060c70f32b45c6165.jpg

54dbb6c53bb7e5ede2f023550757d6cf.jpg

d6256b396c91737f205f3b6b66bb360c.jpg

7abf30da0ebdd62b8581e3e6b252695a.jpg

Used backer board then filled the void with industrial fire blanket, topped with a board of 10mm material that is used for making toilet cubicles.....
Left that unsealed so I can check for Charing before re-lining with added fire foam.
We will eventually top it with silicone flashing ....

spader

Native
Dec 19, 2009
Scotland
I have been using a paraffin heater in the shed, because it is quick and easy to start and shut the heating. I also use a wood burning stove just outside of the shed to sit around in the evenings, or to fend off the midges when gardening, carving or chilling out etc.

But thinking of installing the wood stove in the shed for this winter. Or maybe will just keep them as they are. Will see.

Last edited:

spader

Native
Dec 19, 2009
Scotland
After thinking about it, I decided just to keep the wood burning stove outside in the wee shelter with just rain cover roof at the other end of the corner garden. With paraffin and petrol cans for mowers and hedge trimmers kept in the shed, idea of wood burning stove running in there was uneasy.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Chiseller shows the right set-up. Out from the walls with distance according to code, insulated surfaces including the floor. Insulated pipe thru the roof.
The deal is that if you don't follow the building code, you risk voiding your insurance. My pellet stove (#22) sits on a concrete floor.
I still had to buy a $75.00 foot pad to meet the dang code.

Sheds, to my thinking, can be sort of smallish so big heat and you work with the door open = wasted money unless you have a huge supply of free round wood.

The good thing is that wood stoves hold their value here. Trade up or down, the incremental cost isn't too bad.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE