Has anybody put a woodburner in their shed ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
I have been meening to do this for a while ,especially with the winter we just had and its expected to be the same this year,the only problem i can see is how to exit the flue pipe through the roof/wall ,any ideas or pictures ,what did u use ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Sounds like a recipe for disaster Gill :)

Saying that though, the allotment over the back is full of sheds with smoke billowing out of the chimneys

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
No not at all Rich, if you can put them in a nylon or canvas tipi or tent then it should be good.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I only guessing here, but how about a 45o bend near the top of the wall to a metaled flandge, then out and another 45o bend to straight and extend a few feet above the roof , with the chimney housed inside a protective shroud to isolate it from the wall where it goes through.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
You can get insulated flues, even ones with bends in them, and they can go through the wall with little more effort than cutting the right shaped hole. They're pricey but it's better than burning your shed down. I think the building regulations are a bit stricter about flammable materials and flue pipes though, so "don't do this at home..." :)

Stuart69

On a new journey
Jul 7, 2008
Glasgow
Don't be wimp and work harder :p

Seriously though mate, I'm guessing it'll be too hot with the burner you've got. My wee firebox can heat the whole garage.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
I know what yer sayin bud but you dont need to have the stove roarin i,m talking about in the worst weather like we had past, if its good for the tipi .
Picture1963-1.jpg

tinkerer

Forager
Mar 11, 2010
bournemouth
you could use something like THIS or THIS or you could get twin wall solid flue (alot more money) im a heating engineer so we use this stuff for gas fires and the solid stuff for big boilers you can seal up any gaps at joints with fire cement. if your putting any type of burner in a shed you need to provide adequate ventilation, generally 100cm2 vent to allow for the air being burnt to feed the flame or youll end up with a headache :) theres some useful info HERE for you to read.

Last edited:

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
The only bit is trying to get hold of some sort of watertight heatproof collar/jack ,i already have the flue just need the fitting to put it through.

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
Get a dektite, made of aluminium and Silicone rubber.

Cut a hole two inches bigger than your flue pipe and fix the dektite to the roof with silicone sealant and screws, then push your flue through the dektite and about 600mm above the apex of the roof, can do it with single wall enamelled pipe.

http://www.workshopstoves.co.uk/flashings.asp

Wings.

HI, i just put a wood stove in my portacabin, steel walls and wood and vinal roof.

IMGP0005.jpg

this is the wood stove, a small 5Kw

IMGP0003.jpg

you must use an insulated chimney for going through the roof or any flammable material.

IMGP0006.jpg

The hole is cut 2 inches larger than the pipe and is sealed with a silicone boot, this is a dectight flashing. all this stuff can be bought from http://www.stovesonline.co.uk

The panel behind the stove is a 20mm thick fire shield with a 4 hour rated burn time, this is fixed onto a 25mm fireproof frame and is the packed with vermiculite, the board is very expensive about 130 for an 8X4 sheet but is used for shielding kilns. figure on paying aprox 1.5 times the cost of the stove for the flue system and dont forget to put a rain cowl on the outside, if you are going shorter than the 600mm outside then do fit a spark guard, the site i gave has a page for building regs so have a read of these.

do fit an air vent, you would be surprised how quickly a wood stove can eat up the air in a room and co alarms are now so cheap you may as well get one.

have fun, they are great and i now have 3 and no central heating. and of course you can cook on them too :)

Dave

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
Get a dektite, made of aluminium and Silicone rubber.

Cut a hole two inches bigger than your flue pipe and fix the dektite to the roof with silicone sealant and screws, then push your flue through the dektite and about 600mm above the apex of the roof, can do it with single wall enamelled pipe.

http://www.workshopstoves.co.uk/flashings.asp

Wings.

That is the very thing Wingstoo ,cheers buddy.i did,nt know what they were called to google it.

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
That's a useful link, thanks, I remember putting a gas bottle stove in a shelter (Shown on another thread started by drewdunsespect), it had a piece of spiral duct for the flue pipe and the hole through the wall was made with two sheets of ply and stuffed with fiberglass insulation.

Good job we didn't use it very often.

Wings

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Help Please !
Been looking all over ...We're about to fit a stove in our RV. Single flue at the moment. Has anyone come across a flashing kit that replaces caravan type roof vent/lights ....eg the flue needs to go in this space ....
e6bb409edbb275dd676ddf61eeb11651.jpg

I was going to use one of the mentioned dek kits, but they are all small base size.

We were thinking if we line the cavity with cement board , then a sheet+silicone kit would do. Ideally we need a larger based silicone jobby than what I've seen . We would like something like this
3ebb24a9aa083ae910e9b6c1a63b3723.jpg

As opposed to this
4f6ea7d7137281467b8874f132b2fe38.jpg

Cheers

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
Chis, get yerself down to a builders merchant and ask to see a "lead tile", they are used to seal flues going through things like corrugated plastic / asbestos / tin roofs, could be just what you need.

wandering1

Nomad
Aug 21, 2014
Staffordshire
I actually cheated. The last time I needed to vent a flue through a roof vent.
I made my own fittings

I removed the actually vent but left the casement in tact.
Screwed a piece of plywood on top of the casement. (obviously with some rubber membrane on.top AMD attached the cowling to that (but I was being cheap so I made my.own silicone cowling from some.1200degree heat resistant /fire retardant silicone

Btw "Lakeland" ( the kitchen.utensil ppl). Do silicone.baking.trays and bowls. With a little.modification they make great cowlings

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE