Hares

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
Great pictures Nomad; I'd be very pleased if I was getting that quality out of my trailcam - I think the daylight one is excellent and would have been happy if I'd caught that on my DSLR :)

Thanks he did sit up nicely for the camera. I got some video of him (or possibly her) standing up on hind legs and having a good look around but minus the head! :(

Possible proof that hares are mystical creatures - this one appears to be a visitor from the future? Either that or the date stamp on my camera is a month out! ;)

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I have a healthy population of hares in my general area, the nearby munro which is a gentle plateau reputedly has loads up there. I was on Hoy recently and walked up to see the Old Man of Hoy, we came across over a dozen hare still white from the winter. The pics weren't much but I'll post some later.

Reactions: Toddy and Nomad64

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
Another trail cam pic from yesterday evening of our resident hare - again demonstrating their magical ability to bend space and time or maybe just my inability to set the year right on the camera! :)

IMAG0029.JPG

Reactions: Toddy

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
We've currently got a leveret living in our garden, often visiting the veg patch at dusk. Thankfully it seems to mostly be eating all the weeds.

Reactions: Nomad64

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
We've currently got a leveret living in our garden, often visiting the veg patch at dusk. Thankfully it seems to mostly be eating all the weeds.

They do seem to like dandelions but I am going to get around to putting the last few spirals on the trees I planted this winter - much as I love hares, there are limits. :)

Lou

Settler
Feb 16, 2011
the French Alps
twitter.com
I saw my first hare close up the other day at dusk. I managed get to within about 15 yards of it and at one point I didn't think it was real as it had not moved one whisker. Then it ran away. Saw it later up on the hill just sitting watching me again.

I always loved this little ditty and I thought about it when I saw her:

In the black furrow of a field
I saw an old witch-hare this night;
And she cocked her lissome ear,
And she eyed the moon so bright,
And she nibbled o' the green;
And I whispered 'Whsst! witch-hare,'
Away like a ghostie o'er the field
She fled, and left the moonlight there.

Source: THE HARE by Walter de la Mare - poem for children https://www.poems4free.com/THEHARE.html

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I have yet to see any sort of rabbit in the village. Rare tracks, yes, but no bunny on the end of those.
At the same time, in the city of Edmonton,. Alberta (>500,000?), the tall Jack Rabbits are sprinting
up and down residential streets in all seasons of the year.

If you haven't, try this:
Don't ever show your arms. That makes you look like the front of a deer = no threat.
You might walk closer to game as a result of not showing your "front legs" in a threat display.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
They do seem to like dandelions but I am going to get around to putting the last few spirals on the trees I planted this winter - much as I love hares, there are limits. :)

I've watched our littleun eating our plentiful dandelions and it also likes lurking in our new orchard. I've had to protect the trees due to nibbling in previous years.

Yesterday the leveret practised its "I'm too cute to be eaten" look rather that running off, i.e. laying its ears flat on its back and trying to stay still when I pass by.

Reactions: Toddy and Nomad64

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
Sadly I found a dead hare the other day, I didn't think to sex it it but a around 2kg (adults seem to range from 2.5-6kg), I'm guessing that it was a juvenile born in late winter/early spring.

Looked healthy and no obvious injuries apart from a few marks in the fur on one side.

Decided to use it as bait for my trail cam and left it out for a few nights with no takers but early this morning a badger came and took the carcass.

A bit sad but have seen other hares since so hopefully there are other leverets around.

IMAG0123.JPG

IMAG0154.JPG

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
Peekaboo!

4025E3EC-5BD9-4401-BEEE-6AA72AA8436E.jpeg

Despite losing one older leveret a few weeks ago, we have at least two younger ones which we see most days :)

Reactions: Toddy

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
Photobombing a hare!

Just checked my trailcam over lunch after doing a bit of work on the whips I planted last year and found a whole load of hare pictures including a video taken an hour ago (the clock on the picture which is a still from the vid is an hour out) with the lesser spotted Nomad in the background! ;)

D3506F80-FC26-46B2-BECD-6CE62D2FAD4A.jpeg

Also some from the night before with a pair of hares together.

6D28CB7C-C854-4766-9125-878B6FCD99C2.jpeg

Not great pix but always nice to see hares which we do most days.:)

Jan 6, 2019
West of Ireland
I'm concerned about ours, we have not seen them in months. While that's not unusual, they tend to move away from us during the summer months, but usually can be spotted during the winter months. This year I'm not getting up there as often as I typically did, so when I do get up I have a lot more jobs on, than spending time spotting our hares. However with no sightings in six months, I'm concerned that it 'might' be because of RHD2.
No evidence, just jumping to worst case scenario maybe, but it is in the county.

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
We are seeing our resident hares most days at the moment.

Also captured a nice vid of this one and his/her mate getting in some pre-March boxing practice.

GetAttachmentThumbnail

Reactions: Broch

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE