Hardwood Vs Micarta ???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dunelm

Forager
May 24, 2005
County Durham
At the beginning of 2007 I placed an order with JS Nielsen of Mountain Hollow Knives for one of his scandi-bushcraft models, estimated delivery December 2007.

http://www.mountainhollow.net/scandi-bushcraft.htm

At the time I ordered the knife with a desert ironwood handle but I'm having a crisis of confidence regards showy exotic hardwood handles and wonder if a functional micarta handle is a better option. It's just that desert ironwood looks so nice...

I intend this to be my main working knife and not a draw queen that is only handled with gloves.

Any opinions as to the suitability of hardwood versus micarta greatfully received.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I've been having this discussion a lot recently. I'm having my concept convex made by Stuart Mitchell.

I have a scandi and I put Yew on it, but this I intend to use for messy stuff and hard stuff - I hope if I'm lucky next year to gralloch a little, I know I'm going to gut fish and pheasant and it is going to be used to baton and featherstick.

Stuart Mitchell told me Bob Loveless wrote 'I use micarta for my knife handles because it is the best handle for knives'.

Mick Wardell does some Tufnol linen which I put on a knife recently - by alla ccounts it works a treat and it certainly looked good. As a result, it's going on my concept.

For my nice looking scandi I put a hardwood, for my main knife that I know will take abuse; it's getting micarta.

Hope this helps.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Wood every time!
Purely for the look of the thing and the "feel"!
Micarta handles and Kydex sheaths are fine if the law says you need to be able to sterilize you food prep knives but if it is just for your own use - or not for game prep - wood and leather are the only options!

IMHO anyway.....
John

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'm with John,

Wood all the way. Except for game prep when I want plastic. Not Micarta (which can still contain porous material and won't pass muster for sterilisation IMO). Ditto plastic for the sheath (Kydex is just thermal plastic really).

Wood. leather, steel. thats all you need!

Red

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
I like wood but when it comes to users i usually end up with micarta.
A stabalised wood should be almost as good but kydex can give better grip especially if you have a bead blast finish

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
You will be fine with desert ironwood. Its a tough wood, dont worry just get on and use it!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE