Hardwood for turning.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

5teep

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2017
Scotland
So I've taken up wood turning because why not? and now I'm looking for sources for wood to turn.

I've bought a fair bit off eBay, some very nice pieces and I can wander around in the local woods looking for deadfall etc. but does anyone know of/use an online supplier? eBay is fine but you can't always guarantee to get that nice piece of wood or that there will be any when you happen to be looking.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Make friends with your local tree surgeons, also talk to the local parks dept at the council. Unless they resell the wood they cut, you will get wood for just the transport costs of going to pick it up, as they will otherwise have to chip it or take it away themselves. . It would probably help if you’re reasonably specific about what you are after when you chat with them.

Reactions: 5teep

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Flea markets, car boots and charity shops are a surprisingly good source, Beech in abundance from rolling pins for example. I've had some truly great timber from old furniture that nobody wants as furniture, and old staircases are often Mahogony and Teak of a quality almost impossible to get now if they're from an old building. Nobody wants the old brown furniture any longer and some of that can be very high-grade stuff.

If, by the above means, you only score small dimension bits you can laminate woods to very nice effect, as well.

Reactions: Robson Valley

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Macaroon is the hunter = excellent ideas.
Really junk furniture in estate sales. The real junk, no matter how many coats of paint.
Glue ups of contrasting woods always look good.

5teep

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2017
Scotland
This is great guys, thanks :) good tips for finding local stuff and an actual supplier online!

I have some very nice sequoia that I think would look great as a mosaic with some darker wood Robson Valley so I've been on the look out for some walnut or similar to do just as you suggest.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Sequoia is a softwood, a sort of conifer. What's the ring count per inch?
Less than 15 rings per inch will be a chore to turn, really soft/punky like balsa, no matter how sharp your tools are.
Same applies to wood carving = I'd be looking for 20-40 rings/inch.

Walnut and beech might be a nice combination.

I mentioned the junk furniture. I know a couple of guys who resaw old desks, etc., and build musical instruments.

5teep

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2017
Scotland
I've worked with a couple of sequoia blocks and you're right it tends to tear out quite easily but it also takes a really nice finish. The wood is mostly pink with black and lighter markings through it, the pink can darken down almost to purple when I apply any kind of oil/wax.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I did a days wood turning course at the start of the year. The guy I did it with got off cuts from a guy in a high end kitchen/interior joinery. Walnut, teak etc

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE