Hardwearing windproof jackets - FOR WOMEN!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
It is quite easy to buy "Waxed Cotton" with all the messy work done for you.
It is a bit yeuchy to sew though and realy clarts up your sewing machine!;)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I can buy waxed cotton for under £4 a metre just now. I just made myself a jacket that I liked :) I lined mine with fine wool since I find the normal cotton linings either cold or damp.
I think the only thing I'd change next time would be to make pouch pockets that keep the rain out and maybe knit a kind of inner band collar and cuffs from merino wool to stop the draughts a wee touch more efficiently.
The jacket is pretty much indestructable though, it's been through fire and flood, blood and gore, trees and gorse, and it still cleans up pretty well :D
I can source samples for you if you'd like ?

cheers,
M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It is quite easy to buy "Waxed Cotton" with all the messy work done for you.
It is a bit yeuchy to sew though and realy clarts up your sewing machine!;)

Meths cleans it up no bother at all.
Needles aren't expensive, when it's blunt, dump it. It will cause more frustration than the cost of replacement is worth.
When I started making my own, cheap wax jackets weren't available and my budget with two growing teenagers wouldn't stretch to Barbour's. So I worked out a pattern that suited me.

cheers,
Toddy

JoyR

Tenderfoot
Jan 31, 2009
North Devon
Ray Mears's shop sells Fjallraven products. That do you?

(PS that's an in joke)

You, young sir, had better watch your back ;) Or I'll be coming for you in the night...head to toe in green! What d'ya think of THEM apples! :D

(PS in joke continued, sorry guys!)

JoyR

Tenderfoot
Jan 31, 2009
North Devon
Army surplus or wax jackets. All available under £30 and tough as old boots. They survive my rambles and scrambles :D
Fit 'can' be a problem, to fit around my bust and hips sometimes the shoulders and waist are waaaay too big and the arms almost reach my knees :eek: , but have a try of as many different ones as possible, the Swedish ones are pretty tidy on, and years ago I got an Israeli army female officers winter parka and it was the bees knees

I'm leaning back your way again :) I still can't justify the money for a fjallraven when army surplus really do seem to be just as durable etc. I shall keep looking!

Cheers, Joy

JoyR

Tenderfoot
Jan 31, 2009
North Devon
My price range seems to be the biggest problem Im facing currently. Ive found a good quality tailored army surplus jacket on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Surplus-Vinta...photoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1713.m153.l1262

Some of your suggestions are also really good, I think I'm going to have to wait for my next payday before getting a jacket though. Things are even tighter on the money front than expected this month! All your suggestions and input has been greatly appreciated :) Thanks guys!

Joy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE