Hardwearing windproof jackets - FOR WOMEN!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JoyR

Tenderfoot
Jan 31, 2009
North Devon
I've had a quick shufti at previous jacket threads, and have found them to be male oriented. No problem at all with that, except...I'm female, and while I have no problem with unisex kit, I'd quite like a slightly fitted jacket.

I'm having quite a big struggle finding anything that isn't a) pink or b) mens. I'm after a hard-wearing windproof jacket, preferably not too technical (as I'm pretty skint currently!) that can just go over my base layers. I've been looking at military surplus, as that's the kind of thing I'm after, but again it's 99% male clothing.

Anyone got any suggestions of where to look for decent quality, natural type colour, fitted windproof jackets?? Any suggestions VERY gratefully received!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Tamarack have a good selection of bushcrafty ladieswear.

No connection just a happy customer. There`s also a 15% discount for BCUK full members :D

EDIT:

I`d recommend the Fjallraven G-1000 fabric for durability

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Try lidls supermarkets. they had ladies wax jackets in a few weeks ago. I wear army surplus and forget about looking like a lady. My present coat cost £30 it has fallen apart now through my abuse of it, I am thinking I may replace it with a wool coat I will make my self, as a then it will suit the perpose.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Isn't 'fitted windproof jacket' a contradiction in terms?
Windproof items are windproof because they are looser (I know the materials are also relevant, but this is about the cut of the garment) - NOT 'fitted'.
Maybe that's why you're having problems finding one?
Just out of interest, how does a woman's jacket differ from a man's (besides colour)?

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
If you don't mind looking a bit dated you can get gorgeous Harris Tweed coats, warm windproof, hard wearing, natural, cheap.

Here is a big one size 16 but they come up regulrly on ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HARRIS-TWEED-HAND-STITCHED-LADIES-WOOL-COAT-UK-Size-16_W0QQitemZ310118804182QQcmdZViewItemQQptZWomen_s_Clothing?hash=item310118804182&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1685|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

xylaria

Isn't 'fitted windproof jacket' a contradiction in terms?
Windproof items are windproof because they are looser (I know the materials are also relevant, but this is about the cut of the garment) - NOT 'fitted'.
Maybe that's why you're having problems finding one?
Just out of interest, how does a woman's jacket differ from a man's (besides colour)?

Men's:extra room for the shoulders
women's; extra room for the bust
Mens get fatter around the tummy
women get fatter around the bum

Saying that the worst piece of kit I ever had was pink and purple chick kit from millets. It gave me the choice of sweaty hot with the inner on or cold without, it didn't cover my passed my hips so I lost body heat through it and it sprung a leak soaking my front to the skin and giving me hypothermia. Personally midway down the thigh should be as short as a womans coat should be, most female "walkers" jackets on sale are far shorter and aim for flattering the figure above function.

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
Fjällräven do quite a lot of jackets fit for women and as a light, hard wearing, windproof jacket I'd recommend the ones in a single layer of G1000. If you google for the jacket of your choice, you might find some interesting prices (looks like Fjällräven is sold as fashion clothing in the UK). I just got one myself at 50% :)

JoyR

Tenderfoot
Jan 31, 2009
North Devon
Thanks all for the input, and especially xylaria for saving me the explanation of male vs female fit :)

I'm really not that bothered about 'looking like a lady' (I never have been a 'lady', something I'm proud of lol), I was just interested in getting a slightly better fitting jacket than normal!

I've contemplated wool but discarded it for the moment, for monetary and weight reasons (I'm trying to keep my kit fairly light). I will be spending a little while looking at fjallraven jackets, thanks for the heads up.

One quick question, two of you suggested the G1000, is there any particular reasons why you consider it better than others? I'm purely interested, as I don't have that much technical knowledge with regards to material etc.

Thanks guys! You've got me on the right track :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I think G-1000 is a mostly cotton based material so is ideal for protecting against brambles etc where a more modern poly/nylon based fabric would probably snag and tear.
I have a couple of pairs of Fjallraven trousers in G-1000 and they stand up to hard knocks really well.

EDIT:

I stand corrected, it`s actually 65% poly and 35% cotton. Still good stuff IMHO

http://www.landmarkstores.com/Fjallraven-G1000.aspx

xylaria

The american fishtail parka looks really good to me (celt gingers link). You know the way if certain bit of your body like you hands or your feet get a cold, it chills the whole body, Well i don't know about other women but I find army parkas cover where more delux chick kit fails the reach and keeps me an awful lot warmer. They also make it nicer to answer the call of nature without flashing ma hone at world. My last coat was a german army parka, it was fit for perpose while it lasted.

JoyR

Tenderfoot
Jan 31, 2009
North Devon
I've just spent a good hour looking at various different suggestions, and agree that the fjallraven G1000 does look the whiskers.

I've been kind of leaning towards the womens greenland jacket (not the winter one), because of weight, durability, length etc. but the price is putting me off ever so slightly. While I've always bought the best I can afford, knowing it will last and do the best job, I admit to being a little stumped....

The absolutely cheapest I can find comes in at about £114, and on an Auxiliary nurse's wage, it's a bit steep. My question for you now is, those of you who have shelled out the extra cash: Was is worth it? Is the Fjallraven THAT much better than, say a decent army surplus jacket that can be got for about £45 - £60? I'm nearing the end of my search, but before leaning one way or the other, I have to convince myself that the Fjallraven is really worth £114!

Cheers for all the input guys

xylaria

My army surplus only fell apart because I handled hot things from the fire and the cuffs are now knackered. i have never heard anyone complain about fjallraven though, but the wearers tend to less abusive of kit than I am.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Army surplus or wax jackets. All available under £30 and tough as old boots. They survive my rambles and scrambles :D
Fit 'can' be a problem, to fit around my bust and hips sometimes the shoulders and waist are waaaay too big and the arms almost reach my knees :eek: , but have a try of as many different ones as possible, the Swedish ones are pretty tidy on, and years ago I got an Israeli army female officers winter parka and it was the bees knees :approve:
I do agree that too often women's cut jackets are too short to cover comfortably, if my situpon is warm, generally so am I :)
I often just make my own, my pure wool bushshirt (and hat from the scraps ) cost me about £10 and my wax jacket was £11.87.......and the biggest expense was the studs :rolleyes:

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE