Hardangervidda - Norway.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PropThePolecat

Tenderfoot
Mar 29, 2009
Mainland Europe
I went to Norway a couple of weeks ago, to spend a couple of days hiking alone in an area known as Hardangervidda.

Abit of background info on the area:

Its a national park consisting of a mountain plateau with an average height of about 1200 meters. It is the largest such plateau in Europe, a massive 2500 square miles (!), with a cold year-round alpine climate and is the site of one of Norway's largest glaciers. Much of the plateau is protected as part of Hardangervidda National Park.

The whole area is above the treeline making it very exposed to the elements.

On the drive up you could tell that fall has hit the region. The trees were a beautiful yellow and red.

6207533472_2235dbf1b5_b.jpg

The whole way up consisted of roads like this...I drove from a city called Kristiansand located about 265 km away. It took almost 3.45 hours to cover the distance, as the roads were windy and narrow. And that was under favourable weather conditions. I can imagine what a nightmare it would be with snow and fog.

6207025545_17ca9d8a92_b.jpg

I had set out a bit late, so halfways there i could see that i wouldnt be able to make it before nightfall. I considered pushing on and hiking the first few km in the dark, but i opted against it as it was totally unfamiliar terrain. Half an hour before nightfall i parked the car, and headed about 100 meters away to a nice secluded spot near a lake, where i set up camp.

Next morning i woke up and found the weather had changed completely. Its was foggy and the temps had dropped considerably. I packed up and drove the remaining hour to the Haukeliseter mountain lodge, where the trail head starts.

6207541752_da91a209c0_b.jpg

The trail starts out with a very steep climb and after i couple of 100 meters i immediately knew that i wasnt as fit as i thought i was. I could feel my thigh-muscles burning under the heavy weight of the pack.

The norwegians have a mountain code, which is directed toward hikers safety in the mountains. The first point describes how you should be fit and ready before undertaking a trip. My lack of physical prep would ultimately cause me to cut my trip short. The list can be read here for those who are interested: http://www.visitnorway.com/en/Articles/Theme/The-Mountains/Mountain-guide/The-Norwegian-Mountain-Code/

After a couple of hours hiking i stopped by a lake for lunch. I had brought a taste of India and Greece in the form of Naan bread and stuffed grape-leaves. Good eating at 1125 meters altitude :thumbup:

6207564872_89e262beec_b.jpg

6207058001_03577d3533_b.jpg

Conditions were windy so i pulled out my hardshell to shield me from the cold. The area is totally barren from trees, making it very exposed with almost no shelter from the elements. I had brought an extra set of thermal underwear, a balaclava, hardshell pants and a down jacket for camp. You need to be prepared when heading out in the mountains as the weather can change in a heartbeat.

Only thing id forgotten were my gaiters. In my hurry to hit the trail, id left them in the car :eek:.

6207735507_a504083c43_b.jpg

After a couple of hours hiking i could feel my left knee starting to ache from the many descents and ascents. The terrain was very rocky with numerous streams and bogs that had to be crossed. I recognized my knee-pain from another strenous hike in sweden about 6 months earlier. I decided it would be stupid to push on, so i found a nice level spot where i set up tent and i could rest my knee.

6207059633_15b878337b_b.jpg

The view from inside the tent:

6207581206_b5813f48fd_b.jpg

It was pretty windy and i was worried the wind might pick up throughout the night, so i made sure the tent was staked and guyed out tight and the i placed some rocks on the stakes so they wouldnt wiggle out during the night. I placed the tent so the opening was towards east, where i could catch the suns morning rays and also so the tent-opening was opposite the prevailing western wind.

6207609940_835b34f786_b.jpg

I saw a helicopter buzzing around in the area several times. It was probably flying supplies to the few manned huts deep in the mountains.

6207073297_5539a7a272_b.jpg

I had set up camp near one of the many thousands of small streams running down the mountain sides. I always try to be close to a water-supply when setting up camp.

6207100163_c883fc96fa_b.jpg

All of a sudden the overcast cleared and the sun came out. The temps immediately rised and put my pants and socks out to dry. With the sun out and the fog clearing the view was amazing!

6207619460_52b58f894b_b.jpg

My tent for size in right side of the pic

6207116771_298de11ed0_b.jpg

I think being stranded here in a survival situation would be a real bitch. Its cold, wet and windy. There are no trees to make a shelter or firewood to make a fire. The landscape is wide open allowing the winds to accelerate to frightening speeds and when it rains the streams become raging rivers in a short time. Snow is common even during the short summer.

Sneaking up on wildlife with a spear or sling is almost impossible. The area houses Europes largest wild reindeer herds, but in the time i was there i didnt spot a single one. Saw loads of scat and tracks but no reindeer. I saw some gamebirds and caught a glimpse of a red fox. That was it.

My knife choice for the trip was the BM Presidio. I opted for a folder as i didnt need a fixed blade for such a barren landscape. All it did was open bags of food. To be honest it didnt do anything my SAK couldnt have done just as well. I had first decided to take the ZT0200, but decided it was overkill. I considered the F1, BK14 and the other fixed blades in my collection, but i felt like trying something new. The Presidio made the cut that day.

There were these blue berries ALL over the place. At first i thought it was blueberries but when i opened them, they didnt look right. Any one know what they are? Arctic flora isnt my strong side.

EDIT: I later found out that theyre Black Crowberries.

Along the BM Presidio for size:

6208110766_b4cf7fa474_b.jpg

6207587837_7fa21bbfbc_b.jpg

6207591759_b0b6c1f576_b.jpg

Next morning after a quiet night i decided to make apple pancakes. Making good food is important to the morale when in the wild, especially when hiking alone. They tasted great with jam on them. :thumbup:

6207703198_0b71dc2a45_b.jpg

These spiders were all over the place too...What the hell were they doing there in such a barren place? What did they eat? And how did they survive the harsh alpine winter? I spend a good 30 mins thinking about them...:D

6207201121_394f343bfc_b.jpg

I also found the remains of what appeared to be a lemming or mole on a rock. It must have been a bird of prey that had eaten it and then regurgitated the bones and fur as only birds of prey do. You can make out the claws on the pic.

6207725784_878cb2c228_b.jpg

To be continued...

PropThePolecat

Tenderfoot
Mar 29, 2009
Mainland Europe
The next morning i decided to cut through the mountains to a lake i had found on the map. Navigating in the area was surprisingly difficult. It was a combination of the many rolling mountains with almost the same heights and a map that wasnt detailed enough
(1:100000). At one point i made an error that placed me 1 km off my real postition. The key to succesful navigation in such an area, is ALWAYS knowing where you are.

After a couple of hours hiking where my knee got progressively worse i topped a crest and spotted the cabin.

6207576535_3acfa27aa6_b.jpg

It was a cabin used by the reindeer herders during the winter. It was boarded up and locked during the summer. I made my way down to cabin and short time after i was there. It was situated right beside a idyllic lake that was teeming with mountain trout. Too bad i hadnt brought my fishing rod.

6208139272_9f6960a525_b.jpg

6207612903_1636e18306_b.jpg

A reindeer track in the gravel.

6208115180_1e2afcecb1_z.jpg

I continued onwards and followed the trail out of the area. At one point i looked up and thought "This dosent match what i can see the map?" It turned out that i must have veered of the trail and continued along a reindeer trail. I was temporarily lost. No big deal though, as i quickly found out where i was again with some compass work and a little help from the GPS.

6208171952_55c94fe037_b.jpg

The only downside was, the i know had to climb down a steep ravine cross a stream and up back the ravine again to get to my destination. Or i could backtrack, which i didnt really feel like. Beind the adventorous polecat that i am, i opted for the adventourous route :D

6208175680_261173c326_b.jpg

By now my knee was killing me. I promised myself that id take some painkilliers once i had reached the top. As i sweating and grunting had reached the top, i reached for my FAK only to find that the painkillers were gone! I remembered that we had run out of them at home, and i had taken them out cause my girlfriend needed some at the time. Dammit!

After a short rest i decided to head back to the car as the pain was getting bad. If i recalled correctly i had some painkilers in the glover department. I was really mad at myself for being in such bad shape, more so because im usually take good care in keeping fit. Ive had a longrunning knee injury which had kept me from training too hard, and therefore i hadnt prepared properly by training with a heavy pack before the trip.

I had brought a a book along on the trip to kill some time, written by a danish spec-ops soldier about his time in Iraq and Afghanistan. The danish Jaeger unit had received the US Presidential Unit Citation which is an award granted to military units which have performed an extremely meritorious or heroic act, usually in the face of an armed enemy.

They had gotten the citation for humping around the near vertical afghan mountains carrying 145 pound (!) backpacks in an altitude of 3000-4000 meters deep in enemy country for up to 2 weeks at a time. One of the danish spec-ops operators said in the book that he had never been so afraid of dying, as when he was balancing precariously on the afghan mountain ledges wearing his ginormous backpack :eek: And here i was with my 35 pound bag at an altitude of 1200 meters :D

And here it is, my Osprey Aether :D

6208132538_1dde7e5d0e_b.jpg

I eventually made it back to the car, but not before my OTHER old knee injury had started to ache again. During the long steep descent to the trailhead i had made use of a stick i had found. It took so much strain off my knee, that i am seriously considering getting a pair of hiking poles for my next trip.

The Haukeliseter mountain lodge/trail head:

6207678999_912e6dc8ff_b.jpg

And the scenic shot:

6208194352_56cd52cb38_b.jpg

I was irritated at myself that i hadnt taken good care of my legs as i should. I have since made a decision, that im going to alter the way i train from now on. Im going back to basics and focusing on the fundamental strength exercises, the big 3: benchpress, squats and deadlift.

Hope you enjoyed my trip report. :thumbup:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Great Stuff. Nice to see another part of the world.

Your tent Ruck mat, and stove are all lighter than mine, yet you are carrying about the same weight as I would. Were you carrying water?

PropThePolecat

Tenderfoot
Mar 29, 2009
Mainland Europe
You I have to take my weight estimate with a grain of salt. I believe it was heavier than 35 pounds. I was carrying a lot of food with me, and not everything was freeze dried. Also had a gps, head torch, extra batteries, my half a kilogram water filter, and so forth with me.

Nevertheless it wasn't particularly heavy, it was just me that was a wimp. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE