Hard work

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

VANDEEN

Nomad
Sep 1, 2011
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Sorry to thread hijack but I did a few pheasant last weekend too. I usually just go in though the front and remove the breast meat and leg meat. I while back i saw a youtube clip where the guy stands on the wings, pulls the legs and voila he is left with just breasts n wings. This is the third time i tried this with disasterous results :(, anyone else had this work ?
I now use the stand and pull method on all my pheasants, as long as the wing isnt shattered it works pretty well, you do need to get your feet in nice and tight to the breast though and straighten slowly.
It makes it so quick I now do the legs for caseroles etc rather than just slinging them.

For real breasting speed though you need one of these http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUJ5PIytnIE&feature=related

Or for out in the field something like "The Bird Hitch" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_3UDLSu_YU

Just to bring it back on track......... I've never done a deer though.

Last edited:

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Sorry to thread hijack but I did a few pheasant last weekend too. I usually just go in though the front and remove the breast meat and leg meat. I while back i saw a youtube clip where the guy stands on the wings, pulls the legs and voila he is left with just breasts n wings. This is the third time i tried this with disasterous results :(, anyone else had this work ?
I now use the stand and pull method on all my pheasants, as long as the wing isnt shattered it works pretty well, you do need to get your feet in nice and tight to the breast though and straighten slowly.
It makes it so quick I now do the legs for caseroles etc rather than just slinging them.

For real breasting speed though you need one of these http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUJ5PIytnIE&feature=related

Or for out in the field something like "The Bird Hitch" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_3UDLSu_YU

Just to bring it back on track......... I've never done a deer though.

The machine is brilliant!
I wonder if i have just been unlucky. The first time it tried the step and pull the bird had been dead only a few hours but it was about 2 deg c out so i wonder if it was too cold? The other birds were also left outside in winter too.
I did try and get my feet right close upto the bird but again it didnt happen.

Probably just me or all the birds had shattered wings...

Thread hijack over.

Jan 6, 2011
bristol
you need the pheasant to be very fresh for the pull method to work properly , if you've let them hang at all you've no chance . also pull slowly

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
We got Muntjac around here in SE Leicestershire, Bodhi- roadkill goes kwik as a flash when someone comes into the pub and says 'hey, I just hit a....' *poof!* vanished :)

How you getting on with yer hide, mate? I presume you're buckskinning it as you've salted? I've got a freind deershooting at the end of the month and he's letting me have dibs on the hides, tho I'd like to do 'em furry so I'm trailing the forum for advice and a bit of advance knowledge :)

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I do quite a lot of deer, even the ones I don't shoot, I wouldn't advise doing them on the ground. Cut a slot between the tendon and bone of the black leg (not through either) and hang them up head down. Big bucket underneath and work down.

Anyone nearby is welcome to come and see how I do it all, I won't put up vids but I may get Stuey to video me if I get anything this weekend and keep it for those who ask.

I don't like to keep the skin hairy, the hair, being hollow, snaps and lodges everywhere. Being time poor I don't do anything with the hide either, so they normally go into the bucket with the rest for disposal.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE