happy times in hungary

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

boland magyar

Tenderfoot
Sep 16, 2006
west midlands
what is wrong in this country
in hungary when the weekend starts we go in to the country side and light a wild fire, put a pot over it and cook a good goulash on it.
all the family are there and for 4 hours while it cooks we talk and have fun and just relax.
it seems to be the norm there, in the open or in the woods no body has a issue it is part of our culture.
what i find a problem here is that this is a no no.
maybe if the laws in this country was a bit more relaxed in there attitude to wild fires then they would see more families doing what families should do and getting together and enjoying each others company instead of watching television.
oh happy times in hungary
boland magyar

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
Not just a British thing. Most woodland here seems to ban fires and I don't speak enough of the language to find anywhere else. The vast majority of forests here are state owned to. this means free access to all but a couple of areas but restrictive rules.

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Sounds great Boland. Where are some good places to visit in Hungary with nice woodland that would be suitable for a Bushcraft holiday?

Simca

Nov 6, 2004
Hungary
www.survival.hu
dommyracer said:
Sounds great Boland. Where are some good places to visit in Hungary with nice woodland that would be suitable for a Bushcraft holiday?

Mostly the hills and mountains (they aren't good for agriculture, so they left as a forest (thank God)).

Just a couple of links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bakony
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mátra
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geography_of_Hungary

If you plan to visit Hungary for a bushcraft holiday, then drop me a mail if you want, we have a bunch of bushcrafters at www.survival.hu (hungarian only site so far, sorry) too, so we can organise a meeting or something so you don't have to be on your own in a strange country :)
And we can teach you how to make a good goulash or something :)

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Simca said:
Mostly the hills and mountains (they aren't good for agriculture, so they left as a forest (thank God)).

Just a couple of links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bakony
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mátra
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geography_of_Hungary

If you plan to visit Hungary for a bushcraft holiday, then drop me a mail if you want, we have a bunch of bushcrafters at www.survival.hu (hungarian only site so far, sorry) too, so we can organise a meeting or something so you don't have to be on your own in a strange country :)
And we can teach you how to make a good goulash or something :)

Wish I'd seen your post last week. just got an e-mail from my nephew last night. He got leave from Iraq and was e-mailing from Frankfurt, his last night before returning. They'd been in Hungary for the last two weeks.

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
Most woodlands I've been to here have big no fires signs. I'm not sure on the small print as to be honest my Polih isn't good enough. In general wild camping is not something which is easy to do here.

Simca

Nov 6, 2004
Hungary
www.survival.hu
The Hungarian laws are similar to the Swedish laws in this question.. It's allowed to wild camp almost anywhere in a public forest (except the highly protected areas, where endangered or rare species live, but they are signed) for a maximum of 24 hours in one place. I've never been in trouble because of being in one place for a weekend.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
boland magyar said:

I've spent the past six months living in Hungary with my girlfriend (Hungarian). Great country, good people, fantastic food, I'm sold, I'm selling up and moving out there for good :)

retrohiker

Jul 2, 2005
Ohio, USA
Simca,

Since you've teased us about your access to the "wild country" and family life that many on this site long for but can't have without some significant effort or travel, can you at least share what you can with the group.....namely your goulash recipe???
Here in the USA some places are pretty restrictive (mainly to manage the large numbers of hikers in the more popular areas). We still have many places though where the only rules pretty much get down to "don't do anything stupid!" I'd love to take all my sons and their friends out for a big feast and I've been looking for something different than our usual fare to keep it interesting.

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
How do the rules treat foreigners? Hungarian has a reputation as the most difficult language to learn as a non-native due to the myriad of cases (i've read about 20+) are the rules for all or only hungarian speakers?

Simca

Nov 6, 2004
Hungary
www.survival.hu
I think rules are rules, it doesn't matter what language you talk. Be prepared that not too much Hungarian peope understand any foreign language (especially forest "rangers", policemen and this is a shame, and i hope it changes fast). As you can see, my English isn't too good either.

Boland_magyar: the Swedish laws aren't _that_ permissive as they seem to be :)
(ps. szia, te ki vagy? :))

Bushman_Brett

Oct 18, 2006
cannock chase
boland magyar said:
what is wrong in this country
in hungary when the weekend starts we go in to the country side and light a wild fire, put a pot over it and cook a good goulash on it.
all the family are there and for 4 hours while it cooks we talk and have fun and just relax.
it seems to be the norm there, in the open or in the woods no body has a issue it is part of our culture.
what i find a problem here is that this is a no no.
maybe if the laws in this country was a bit more relaxed in there attitude to wild fires then they would see more families doing what families should do and getting together and enjoying each others company instead of watching television.
boland magyar

Sounds like a Dream, Hungary is on my list of places that i must visit, only problem is fitting them all in :p

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE