"Handy Hammock" - Hammock, no trees

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Check this out
http://www.handyhammocks.co.uk/

I saw them for sale and in a camping mag ages ago and now I have a hammock and am interested I can't track them down

Some dyneema, some tentpegs and some aircraft grade aluminium make a portable hammocking solution that doesn't need trees. But like I said - I think the guys gone bust because I can't seem to get hold of him. I just want to purchase the stands really

There's a youtube vid showing one in use:
http://www.handyhammocks.co.uk/

Anyone know anything?

Cheers

Mike

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I saw a guy in France setup a hammock with two lengths of scaff bar and some huge pegs.

Excuse the naff drawing but something like this .....
hammockstand.jpg

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Just read this bit...2 model types, sand or grass?
so what one would you opt for?

I think the only difference is in the pegging - I'm guessing the sand one uses the longs pins (as per the vid) and the grass ones will have summut a bit more ordinary. By my reckoning the dyneema is rigged in a way to transfer the forces straight down the strut where it's strongest- thus preventing it bending.

M

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I've seen a few no-tree systems, but the dyneema reinforced struts are clever. Im thinking that walking poles could be reinforced like this quite easily.

nitrambur

Settler
Jan 14, 2010
Nottingham
But surely it would only prevent bending if you're trying to bend opposite, or nearly opposite, one of the strands, if you were to bend it with one of the strands facing you there's nothing to pull against

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
But surely it would only prevent bending if you're trying to bend opposite, or nearly opposite, one of the strands, if you were to bend it with one of the strands facing you there's nothing to pull against

If I have this right one of the other variations I've seen over on hammockforums (the bamboo one) has in effect, a ridgeline pole that ran between the two supports and the hammock suspension was hung from that which meant the force was applied evenly and directly downwards onto the supports

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
To get 2 of those struts pre-made would be awesome. Mountain top hangs now seem much closer to being practical.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE