Hands

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RobertRogers

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 12, 2006
USA
Bag Balm. Used on cow udders. This is great stuff, used on more people than cows (though I know a few people who are cows).

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Basically anything that will moisturise the skin without leaving it slippy or sticky will work.
Lanolin is good, if you can tolerate it, an oil and wax mixture is excellent, and one that incorporates a wax similar to the sebum is superb. Jojoba for instance.
Easy obtainable counts for a lot too, neutragena is widely available but I prefer Camilosan ( intended originally to prevent cracked nipples in breast feeding mothers I believe) if I don't make my own stuff. I suppose it's like the udder cream, really :eek: but since it's intended not to cause any grief for human infants it's as safe as you're going to get for us.

Hacks can be effectively treated using lipsyl of one kind or another, it's meant to stay on in moist conditions and heal the skin. :cool: Most of them are made with petroleum jelly.

cheers,
Toddy

akabu

Tenderfoot
Apr 23, 2006
USA
Bag Balm and a Pair of gloves/socks on your hands over night does the trick,showed the Ms. and she took my supply:)

Chester`C

Sep 6, 2007
Hull
I Think the latin term for this strange affliction is called

( Officeus Handus ) meaning Office Hands

The best cure for this is to continue in your ways and don't be scared of the mighty calus your hands will eventually develope a natural barrier to the affliction notably the term for this is ( Handus Shoveless ) or shovel hands

if you wish to avoid handus shoveless then you need to try and obtain a pot from the atrixo tree found in the jungle of concrete, wash hands thouroughly dry then apply the mighty lotion :)

but on a serious note if you use these remedies on a regular basis then dependancy can cause quite an issue like lip balm for instance

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I notice a lot of talk about gloves, well, yes they certainly have their place but in actual fact, you shouldn't be wearing gloves when using swinging tool's such as axes or billhooks etc.

It's part of B.T.C.V. insurance criteria as far as I understand it, when ever we are coppicing for example, we have to brief our volunteers not to wear the gloves we issue to them, if or when they are using billhooks, slashers or axes.

everything else, fine and dandy. It's something I've never thought much about to be honest, preferring not to use gloves except when handling hot, thorny or potentially dangerous materials like glass or whatever. obviously nice when it's cold as well!

Cheers
R.B.

In Wood

Nomad
Oct 15, 2006
Leyland, Lancashire.
I dont want to offend, so please dont read if you are easily offended or eating your tea, but...:eek:

When i started martial arts many moons ago, my hands and feet suffered with blisters and cracked skin etc, etc, my Japanese instructor told me to pee on them. :eek: Yep. Urinate on them.:umbrella:

I know it sounds a bit :yuck: but it does work, this was also something we were told in the forces.

It helps prevent any infections and it does harden your skin. Also if your hands are freezing and damp warm them with your own body temp first before (not that you should) go sticking them over a fire.

sorry if I put anyone off their tea. But it's a damn sight cheaper than buying stuff.:p

LazySod

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 18, 2007
Oldham
I dont want to offend, so please dont read if you are easily offended or eating your tea, but...:eek:

When i started martial arts many moons ago, my hands and feet suffered with blisters and cracked skin etc, etc, my Japanese instructor told me to pee on them. :eek: Yep. Urinate on them.:umbrella:

I know it sounds a bit :yuck: but it does work, this was also something we were told in the forces.

It helps prevent any infections and it does harden your skin. Also if your hands are freezing and damp warm them with your own body temp first before (not that you should) go sticking them over a fire.

sorry if I put anyone off their tea. But it's a damn sight cheaper than buying stuff.:p

I've heard of this too (not tried it mesen like), navvies used to pee on their hands to help prevent blisters.

Another old cure i heard was to pee on your feet to cure atheletes foot?

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
When I worked as a gardener a old fella who had been there for years told me the same thing, never tried it out as I thought he was having a laugh, dont know if it works, but its one of them I suppose if you do try it you aint going to tell anyone you have.

Simon.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
hehehe while reading this I had an image of thousands of long since past away mountainmen and the like shaking their heads in disbelief, wondering what men have become ......

... then secretly wishing they had something a little better in their time.. :D

Cheers , Nag.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire

I was told the same thing by a coach in thailand. On an other note, my granddad was a sailor for the greater part of his life, and he told me about when he was a young boy, the used to get really cold hands when they were aloft fixing with the sails in the winter, and the usual remedy was to rush to the gunwhales as they came down and urinate on their hands, got them warm and helped against blisters and cold cracks. As for long term effects, well he had severe artiritis as he got old, that's probably more due to the working cold, wet rope and canvas rather than pee.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE