Hands

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pang

Forager
Sep 8, 2007
london
A bit embarassing but here goes.... I dont know if anyone else has this problem, but whenever i go outdoors for a few days my hands become raw and dry. I'm guessing proberly from doing the washing in ice cold streams and exposing them to extreme heat over the fire???

anyway, i know the girls in this forum would most defintly have this problem. I dont know about the men here though?

Sooo any natural remedies??? or any tips and advice on how to keep your hands in a nice condition, since they are proberlly Number ONE in any survival situation as well as a bushman's first tool.

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
An easily available remedy is Neutragena (sp?). You can find it in most chemists or supermarkets in the hand cream section. They even do an unscented version.
But the best thing I've come across is Climb On Bar. It was suggested to me by a rock climbing buddy. It's a mix of beeswax and essential oils and it works really well. It'll take care of dryspots and it'll relieve those hotspots that develop from long tool use when your not used to it (and alot of us don't get out there enough to have leathery hands). Most importantly it doesn't soften up those hard earned callouses you do develop. It's also good for shaving rash and "tissue nose." You can also pack it into snall nicks and cuts and it really speeds up the healing process.
I know I'm sounding like a snake oil salesman but I've no connection to the company, just a satisfied customer. You can get it in alot of climbing shops, or Google for an online supplier.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
I found that my fingertips suffer if I'm doing a lot of cord/rope work in very cold wet weather, neutragena norwegian formula helps. Will have to try Snufkin's recommendation sometime.

Pang

Forager
Sep 8, 2007
london
well goes to show even men need hand cream lol, Snufkins that bees wa "climb on Bar" sounds like magic, gonna go try and find me some of that.

But do you know any wild plants that might be benificail in this aspect?? i.e. duck leaf ect...

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I hear that a good sized piece of wool from a sheep will do wonders for chapped hands due to the lanolin content. Can't say if it is true or not, but it can only be worth a go. You basically have a piece and manipulate it in your hands, rubbing it etc. and the lanolin will adhere to your hands. After a few minutes, put the wool away and rub your hands together all over, this should get the lanolin in all the cracks and creases.

If anyone knows for sure if this works, maybe somebody who sheared sheep in the past, then let us know!

Lostdreamer

Tenderfoot
Jul 6, 2007
Wmids
Err, I am surprised noone has mentioned this before but, well, are you wearing gloves?

If you ain't, you should be. I have an old pair of welding gauntlets that travel in the car for messing with fire, a pair of leather 'work' gloves & a pair of silk 'contact' gloves that live in my coat pockets.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Err, I am surprised noone has mentioned this before but, well, are you wearing gloves?

If you ain't, you should be. I have an old pair of welding gauntlets that travel in the car for messing with fire, a pair of leather 'work' gloves & a pair of silk 'contact' gloves that live in my coat pockets.

LOL! Yes, I do. but sometimes I find I can't tie knots or do other fine work as well with them on.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk

Do you carry a spare fur lined cod piece as well?:lmao: Just kidding.
I use hand tools, axes knifes saw's etc every day, and rarely bother with gloves unless its raining and then I like showa kevlar/rubber one's or thick leather for handling heavy log's. I have thick calous's and never get blister's BUT I do get cracks as appear in the exact same places on my left hand if I get too much wet/dry/wet/dry extremes, or bleach paint or caustic soda turp's type stuff on them, its happened since I worked in a pub when I was 18 and got that fungal nail infection :rolleyes: . I only get the cracks if the skin dries out, I use nuetragena (if I bother to remember), barrier cream also when I was in the factorie's. If the cracks open up (the one on the end of my left thumb is the worst) I rub in neurtagena and wrap band aid plaster roll round it with kitchen paper or something it heals up after a day or so. Its a bluddy niusance actually, like I got permanent fault lines in my skin:lmao:

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Must echo the work gloves response. If you practice there isn't a problem to do knots or fine work IMHO. I still get calous's (mainly from the gym though), but never cracks or dry skin. I have had a lot of sh1tty jobs (and some real good ones, although they were rather underpaid) which involved a lot of heavy manual work (tending livestock and farm machinery, contruction work, forestry work), and I tell you, I swear by the working glove! Welding gauntlets are the hardest wearing, and if you rip out the cheesy cotton flanell liner and get em a size to small, the are rather good for fine work to.

A natural remedy would may be suet, vegetable oil or pine resin. Or why not rub those mitts with some good ol' braintanning mixture? :D

Lostdreamer

Tenderfoot
Jul 6, 2007
Wmids
Do you carry a spare fur lined cod piece as well?
I dare say there are entire websites dedicated to that sort of thing. The thought of me in a fur cod piece? (shudders). There are probably people out there who think the idea of fellating Anne Widdicome is less frightening. Thank you for the idea and if I ever find myself burning my nads when moving burning logs about, I will give it some serious consideration!

My other response to your post is 'Exactly'. Most of us are weekenders who, after a few nights in the countryside retire to our houses & desk jobs to begin planning the next one. We don't have hands made of cast iron. It's a lesson I learned when helping a friend fix his car one weekend - he insisted I wear gloves and at the end of the weekend I understood why. Before I start ranting too much, standard disclaimers apply - ie: My opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it & no two people are alike so what works for one may not work for someone else.

So then, reasons everyone should have a decent pair of gloves:

1) The gloves get dirty, rather than your hands. This saves you getting grubby paw prints all over your map/kit/girlfriend. There are many indications that you have had a good weekend out, and some would say having to jetwash your own body parts is one of them. This is quite tricky to do in the field before you make dinner however.

2) Helps keep your hands warm. Depending on the gloves & the job, they may not keep your hands dry, but they do help keep them warm. There is no point having your torso wrapped up like the Michelin man if the rest of you is exposed. Yes, your head is the prime culprit for this, but your hands are the only other part of your skin that people tend to leave uninsulated. Getting cold hands is a vicious circle, because if your hands are too cold then your body will actually restrict blood flow to them in an attempt to reduce heat loss which means they are more prone to damage. Best case scenario, your hands get slightly numb, you loose a bit of dexterity due to the lost feeling and swear like a trooper when they warm up.

3) Your daddy did tell you about the importance of using protection, yes? We have all picked up what should be the cool end of a log from the fire only to yelp as we discover there was some resin boiling out of it we hadn't noticed. We have all picked up our fair share of bramble scratches, nettle stings and irritating splinters that you can't quite find to pull out. Unsurprisingly, gloves will cut down on these quite considerably. All of that is without mentioning the potential for pain lurking in sharp knives, boiling water & tree root trip wires.

4) Better grip. Honestly. You apply more force when you are wearing gloves, because you are less afraid of injuring yourself. So, for everything from being able to just pick up your cooking pot without needing some folding handle thing to hacking bits of wood apart with your hands, gloves give you an edge.

TTFN

ETA: However, that 'climb on bar' sounds very good. Gonna have to get me one of them.

ditto all/most said before...

Long time ago while on a survival course in Queensland (Oz), first thing mentioned in your priorities list, not water, fire but protection from the elements...starting with your skin, then your clothes, then shelter from water/wind... all subjected to the situation naturally...

So... when in the bush... wear gloves.

Australia having there share of poisonous critters and spiny plants helped too ;-)

Another " of course" ...., since I am only human... I not always followed the advice... most times without harm being done... sometimes... ouch: burns, splinters, cold (and staying cold)....

Grtz Johan

hiraeth

Settler
Jan 16, 2007
Port Talbot
The best thing I have found is Snowfire, i get it from Boots costs about £2 and lasts ages. Im a plasterer and my fingers always split in the winter due to using lime, but the snowfire heals them up in no time.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
I usually take a couple of pairs of gloves with me, a pair of water-proof ones and an old pair of leather ones for handling rough stuff and hot things. I'm afraid my hands are girlie-boy soft these days from having a deskjob. :D

The last time I had a problem was having to set and reset my tarp in very high winds, it took me about 5 or 6 attempts to find an acceptable spot to pitch as every time I thought I had it, the wind changed direction. The combination of bitter cold, wet rope and re-tying knots under tension (to stop the tarp disappearing over the hills) meant that my finger-tips got scuffed up a bit, and a little cracked. Not enough to be debilitating but an annoyance all the same. Given the set of circumstances, I'm sure more/better practice would improve both my technique and skill at spotting the ideal site - but we live and learn :D

crazyclimber

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2007
UK / Qatar
I've got a pack of builders gloves left over from when I used to do manual work; think they're about £2 a pair on ebay if you get a few and they last forever.
I find I can do most things with them. They still need to come off to tie knots and use a camera but apart from that I find my hands are OK bushcrafting.
Climbing's another story, or using a camera for longer periods in very cold weather; my hands get very dry and start to crack pretty quickly. I sometimes use thin liner gloves or VBL gloves under mitts when it's very cold. If my hands have got dry cheap Boots' moisturiser does the trick; same with my lips - cheap Boots lip balm.
Might not be the most 'manly' thing to do, but I can live with that :)
Thinking about it they reckon the male skin care industry is booming at the moment... wonder if it's linked to the surge in Bushcraft that seems to have happened the last few years?!

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
The best thing I have found is Snowfire, i get it from Boots costs about £2 and lasts ages. Im a plasterer and my fingers always split in the winter due to using lime, but the snowfire heals them up in no time.

Yep, snowfire is good, but not at all boots chemists, I had to get mine from a small pharmacy. It is great for healing up those tiny splits you get from your skin drying out.
I have used most products and most moisturisers will work ok. I have even used cows udder cream, which a farmer swore by. I have used barrier creams too. I now tend to wear brickies, scaffolders gloves which I find are great as you still have good use of your hands in (I can tie my laces with them on).. I have never heard of the hands on bar though, interesting...

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I use Neutragena when I'm working offshore. pretty much every engineer on the boat has some in his kit. working in cold salt water for 12hrs at a time is hell on the hands. gloves don't help at all in that enviroment.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE