Handling a borneo parang

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bandel4

Forager
Nov 19, 2008
Malaysia
www.sepuh-crafts.com
Hi everyone.
Not sure if I am posting this at the right place. Would just to share my latest project.
Got the blade from a blade smith in Sarawak. I liked the shape and weight, so decided to give it a go. The maker was making 4 pieces, an order he says was made by an Iban. I paid him and left :)
Note the tip of the parang has a chip...me was clumsy enough to drop it, tip down first on the concrete floor :(

The blade in comparison to my Mora. The piece of guava wood used. The only piece of wood I have laying around.
parang-4-1.jpg

The done up blade. Now I have to figure out the sheath.
parang-2-2.jpg

parang-1.jpg

The steel pin I used to keep the blade from flying off while using. Though I sealed the hole with epoxy, its extra protection. The other two holes are my initial 'drill holes' to look for the tang. Missed the first two times. Got it on the 3rd drill (the metal pin). So, I had to plug the holes with bamboo pieces. Kind of like that actually...maybe I can use it as my 'signature' :p

parang-3-1.jpg

Comments...suggestions appreciated.

Last edited:

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
Guava wood as in the fruit tree? it looks soft, or is it me,..

it looks very rustic,...

how did you form the handle?, what tools have you access to?

What is going to be its main use?

bandel4

Forager
Nov 19, 2008
Malaysia
www.sepuh-crafts.com
Guava wood as in the fruit tree? it looks soft, or is it me,..

it looks very rustic,...

how did you form the handle?, what tools have you access to?

What is going to be its main use?

Hi Raikey...guava wood is not the hardest you are right. But I have been told to avoid totally hard wood because when using for chopping in our jungle, they tend to crack. The one in the pic looks soft especially because I have applied a coating of linseed oil.
I will be using it as a general purpose blade. When walking in the jungle. Not too heavy this one. I find the weight just nice. Now it is on to the sheath!

bandel4

Forager
Nov 19, 2008
Malaysia
www.sepuh-crafts.com
dumb question: how are the natives handling their parangs?- i've a small parang from "valiant knives" with a buffalo horn handle and i cannot see any pins holding the handle in place...

An important question actually. From what I have gathered, due to the lack of tools (unlike these days, we have access to electric drills etc), the natives would actually re-heat the tang of the blade to glowing red. They will then use this to 'burn' by stabbing the block of wood they want to use as handle. They repeat this process until the tang is all the way in. Hence the shape of the tang.

And remarkable, many do not use pins. They use some sort of tree sap/ glue to fill the hole in the wooden handle and then with one final re-heat (after retemper), they push the tang in.

One parang maker, a Penan in Miri told me the end of the tang on the parangs they make are 'twisted' and that helps it to hold on to the handle.

Well...that's what I gathered so far :)

I will be using it as a general purpose blade. When walking in the jungle. Not too heavy this one. I find the weight just nice. Now it is on to the sheath![/QUOTE]

some pictures of that one would be nice!!! the original sheath of my parang does not allow belt/baldric wear(only on the outside of my backpack) and i'm planning to make a better one...

also: how do the natives prevent their blades from geting rusty- just a few drops of oil every now and then or is there another trick?

bandel4

Forager
Nov 19, 2008
Malaysia
www.sepuh-crafts.com
The usual parangs I have seen used by the natives here do not have belt loop/ attachment as well. They normally come with cordage or a string (about 4-6mm diameter) that is attached to the parang sheath. They then tie this cordage around their waist.

I have been wondering about the same (how do they keep the blades from being rusted) and I have not truly gotten an answer except from my own observation. As for the natives in Borneo, I noticed that they use their blades almost everyday and I have a feeling that helps to reduce rust.

Some of the natives I have seen also uses the same blade to prepare food! Yeah, rust or not, it is used to prep game, slice cooked pork and all sorts. Doing so indirectly transfers 'oil' to the surface.

And then there is Patina which forms sort of like a natural protection over the blade. This is just a guess I make having observed them using the blades almost constantly on plants etc.

I am going back to Borneo in Jan 2010. Maybe I should make it a point to find out this time around :)

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
To prevent excessive rusting I wonder if there's some sort of case hardening going on, perhaps carbiding. That's used in the west for iron door and window furniture for example. Cast iron is about 5% carbon and it doesn't rust anything like so quickly as mild steel (<0.5% carbon).

Do the bladesmiths put the blades in a furnace with a lot of wood or charcoal packed closely around the blades?

Last edited:

Trackerman

Forager
Apr 3, 2008
Sweden
Nice rehandling! The parang have a nice rustic look. The shape of the blade reminds of Bear Grylls new serielmade Parang.
31-000698_Gerber_Bear_Grylls_Parang_Machete.jpg

Is it from your type Bear got the idea of the Parang?

Hedgehog

Nomad
Jun 10, 2005
East Sussex
Really nice looking Parang there.

Not keen on th BG one, though not much a bit of paint stripper & a new handle couldn't sort out.

There is a rather tasty one over in Makers Sales on BB at the moment too...

3.jpg

1.jpg

4.jpg

The horn handled Valiantco's are held together with powdered ants, heat & friction.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE