Handline fishing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Madriverrob

Native
Feb 4, 2008
Whitby , North Yorkshire
Just been on holiday and thought to replicate the fishing scenes from alone series two . I wondered if I could catch a sustainable supply of fish using limited gear and without expending too much time and effort . I managed to catch a least three fish in an hour or so from the rocks using my hobo hand line and fake bread as bait ( the fish seem to just tease real bread off the hook without taking a solid bite !) .

I was out of the UK and all fish were returned unharmed.

Here's a couple of pictures .

301428723d32d65277baa48ba76a0618.jpg

03b6e5383ce6a20729f54d75b8757a98.jpg

f4dad3849caaf1d43b3eb1b4dcdcbaa2.jpg

bc8ed04206983e2c19a82a0e4ff347a6.jpg

04a63686c1202ec5951c8f5aa1b5c667.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Nice going, always struck me that the fishing technique was 'overkill' in alone, by that I mean gill nets, a lot of work to get them out, i would have taken rod and line personally.

my handlines look a bit different ( google " cuban yoyo" or "handcaster" for images), but they're great for backpacking and very efficient!
i spent two month with Aborigines on dampier peninsula and we used handlines both from boat and shore to catch our diner; the locals around Dili (and the rest of East Timor i presume) were using old cans, pieces of plastic pipe or sticks as "reels" and a rock as a sinker and it was amazing to see how successful they were.....

what type of fish is that in the first two pics?!

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I have the same hand line Rob. No idea what those species you caught were though. Hows the fly fishing going?

Madriverrob

Native
Feb 4, 2008
Whitby , North Yorkshire
I have the same hand line Rob. No idea what those species you caught were though. Hows the fly fishing going?

The brown one seemed to be some kind of Wrasse , not sure about the other but it had teeth .....
Not had much time to " fly" , done some practice in the garden and was planning a couple of hours this week on the River Esk at Sleights ( its a short free stretch local to me) .

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
The brown one seemed to be some kind of Wrasse , not sure about the other but it had teeth .....
Not had much time to " fly" , done some practice in the garden and was planning a couple of hours this week on the River Esk at Sleights ( its a short free stretch local to me) .

Now that sounds like a meet lol, I'll have to buy myself new kit, sold mine in '91 :(

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Try a slight modification of the wooden holder:
1: for storage of the line, in the middle of the wooden spool,( so it stays on it securely) shape it exactly like the end is now.
2: for casting, shape the end with a slight taper and no indents. Make it as smmoth as you can ( varnish or oil just like you have done)
The line will spool off easier, resulting in longer casts, better range and larger catch!

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
There are two different casting techniques you can use .
One is to unspool the line, then throw it out using a pendulum motion. Your design works well with this.
The other one is to have the line spooled, you have only the end bit with the hook-weight-float loose. Hold the spool in your hand, holding on the loose line end with a finger. Then you "throw" the line, releasing the line just as you would using a normal rod/reel combo. Point the end of the spool in the direction of the line so it unspools nicely.
Remember to keep holding the spool or you loose everything.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
When I was a kid we used to have such fishing gear everywhere with us, even to school. We used to sometimes take "time out" for a bit of relaxation.
I remember that the nylon lines I used in those days got a memory and liked to stay looped. The only remedy was to stretch the line.

I remember that the nylon lines I used in those days got a memory and liked to stay looped. The only remedy was to stretch the line.

I encountered similiar issues in my younger days.....
two of my four lines are set up for bottom fishing and have mono line on them, the other two are used with floats and have what i think is called "spiderwire" ( i untangled stuff i salvaged) with 5ft. of mono leader on them....

can anyone tell me what "fake bread" is?! i daresay its not the stuff sold in supermarkets as "toast".....:p?!

Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
The fake Bread is an artificial hook bait which surprisingly looks like bread flake and is normally aimed at Carp Anglers it is available from most tackle shops here but I believe most of it is probably made in Asia so should be readily available....there is some available on eBay if you simply wanted to see what it looks like. As a side note it is one of the artificial Baits that does work surprisingly well.....I have even caught Mullet on it and they are notoriously picky.

D.B.

Madriverrob

Native
Feb 4, 2008
Whitby , North Yorkshire
The fake Bread is an artificial hook bait which surprisingly looks like bread flake and is normally aimed at Carp Anglers it is available from most tackle shops here but I believe most of it is probably made in Asia so should be readily available....there is some available on eBay if you simply wanted to see what it looks like. As a side note it is one of the artificial Baits that does work surprisingly well.....I have even caught Mullet on it and they are notoriously picky.

D.B.

Indeed , when watching the fish with " real " bread , they managed to suck it off the hook without actually taking the bite , with the "fake " it seemed that they had to take a more positive hit resulting in hooking ......
The other successful bait seemed to be little pieces of mussel .

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
Try a slight modification of the wooden holder:
1: for storage of the line, in the middle of the wooden spool,( so it stays on it securely) shape it exactly like the end is now.
2: for casting, shape the end with a slight taper and no indents. Make it as smmoth as you can ( varnish or oil just like you have done)
The line will spool off easier, resulting in longer casts, better range and larger catch!

You would´t by any chance have a photo to illustrate? :)

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
All photos I have from that era is me outside Eiffel tower, me outside the leaning tower of Pisa.
Taken in mid 1960's by dad.

But if you tell me how to post a pic from an Iphone, I will do an accurate drawing!

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
i'm still too dumb to attach photos to my posts :puppy_dog , but i hope this link works (and explains it): look at the blue handline-- the left side faces outwards (==away from you) when casting

www.hookline-fishing.com/fishing/fishing-accessories/handcaster.html

Haha, that should be an easy one to mend :D You can upload your photos to f.ex Flickr or an image host site, and grab/copy the link from the site that you uploaded your photo to and then paste it to your post here. There are many (!) image hosting sites out there, so you will just have to find your own favorite.
Just google "image hosting" or something like that, and there should pop up all sorts of options for you.
If you figure it out, be sure to post something from Lofoten as well!

Thank you for the link by the way! Now I get it :)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE