Hand made Pump Drill

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PatrickM

Nomad
Sep 7, 2005
Glasgow
www.backwoodsurvival.co.uk
This was made from odds and ends that I had lying around. Although it's not exactly
the kind of thing you would carry in your kit bag, it's a fun way to demonstrate fire by
friction to young people and it does produce wonderful coals.

The drill can also bore through many materials if you switch to a flint or other hard tip.

pumpdrill003.jpg

ditchfield

Nomad
Nov 1, 2003
Somerset
Very nice indeed!

Mine uses a 12" squared off piece of wood about 1" x 1" instead of a rounded fly-wheel. Easier to make, you just have to watch out for the spinning ends touching the ground.

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
MBM
I'm sure someone can give a fuller explanation but basically you twist the horizontal crosspiece so the cords twist round the vertical spindle. Then as you push down on the crosspiece the cords are forced to untwist, spinning the vertical spindle around and around and around... :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Beautiful work Patrick :notworthy :)
Just had a thought, it's really a drop spindle (if kind of muckle :rolleyes: ) with a handle, isn't it? Somewhere I've got a whorl that weighs in at 300 grammes...

Nice explanation Match, :D

Cheers,
Toddy

Porcupine

Forager
Aug 24, 2005
Leek,The Netherlands
i asume you can exchange the drilltip,but how you get it loose enough to exchange and firm enough to stop it from slipping?

only thin g i can think of at the moment is making a square hole to take the tip.....now how you make square holes is beyond me :confused:

Porc

PatrickM

Nomad
Sep 7, 2005
Glasgow
www.backwoodsurvival.co.uk
Thanks folks for describing how this works.

Porcupine, the drill bits are tapered and have a small groove cut into the side. The socket on the spindle is also tapered. When pressure is applied to the bit by the spinning action of the pump, the bit tightens in.
To remove the drill tip, you place the back of a knife blade into the groove and lever it out. It's all quite simple really.

Square holes can be achieved using the tip of a sharp knife.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE