Oak dugout hearth tinder box

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Back in the 17th C nails were surprisingly expensive, being hand made, and it's assumed the dug out sort were used by the very lowest rung of society. Given time you could make a dug out one from any lump of suitable wood, a knife and a fire to burn out most of the waste. The ones I have seen are never decorated and very crudely made. Plank constructs would need certain tools and skills and probably buying sawn wood. I don't think the discolouring iron nails causes in oak would have bothered them.

I've plans for several styles of the later plank construction hearth tinder boxes, both nailed and jointed but so far attempts at getting quarter sawn oak thin enough has come to nought. The one time I found a guy who seemed to be selling it for a affordable price he proved impossible to deal with so we gave up after numerous phone calls and emails.

atb

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE