Hand hatchets

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Bought a Gransfors Bruks Wildlife Hatchet only a few weeks ago.

I can't give you a full review, as I havn't had it long enough. But so far it has done what I want and is of the expected good quality.
It doesn't weigh much and will even fit in a day pack. I quite like the shape of the handle in particular. It's only marginally different from a more traditional hatchet shape, but feels much nicer to use, to me at least.

I think they are priced well for what they are and am happy with the buy.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
I like these:

http://www.toolandfix.com/estwing-e24a-sportsmans-axe-leather-grip-3-14-82mm.html

Don't know the company - was the cheapest on the first page of a Google shopping search is all.

The hatchet though, is great. Both easy to sharpen and holds a good edge and can be made wickedly sharp. I've heard they're not as good for carving as some and it's true, a Swedish Carving axe from GB is better... but that's a £100 axe and the difference for occasional carving isn't really that great.

For me the biggest plus is the all forged steel construction - you can batter this thing through some really knotty stuff without worrying about opening out the eye that it doesn't have, Leylandii? No problem and that stuff is positively nasty to chop.

They are small and light, so many light blows instead of one almighty one is the order of the day - mind you, that's not a bad thing with a short axe as they do bite when miss-hit.

Hedgecrafter

Nomad
Feb 23, 2014
Suffolk
Best to get a cheap old one from the bootfare or even evil bay.
Then spend the cash on a sharpening stone.
I would always advice people to learn to sharpen before they learn to cut as it teaches you to respect the edge. Not just for its danger, but the time you put in to it.

You will use an axe far more sensibly if it just took you 3 hours to re profile and sharpen it.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
If you want a good hatchet have a look at the bahco, on amazon for around £15 due to the curved cutting edge makes it a good carving axe

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
I like these:

http://www.toolandfix.com/estwing-e24a-sportsmans-axe-leather-grip-3-14-82mm.html

Don't know the company - was the cheapest on the first page of a Google shopping search is all.

The hatchet though, is great. Both easy to sharpen and holds a good edge and can be made wickedly sharp. I've heard they're not as good for carving as some and it's true, a Swedish Carving axe from GB is better... but that's a £100 axe and the difference for occasional carving isn't really that great.

For me the biggest plus is the all forged steel construction - you can batter this thing through some really knotty stuff without worrying about opening out the eye that it doesn't have, Leylandii? No problem and that stuff is positively nasty to chop.

They are small and light, so many light blows instead of one almighty one is the order of the day - mind you, that's not a bad thing with a short axe as they do bite when miss-hit.

+ 1 to the Estwing, most carpenters and builders will have one in their kit. Another good one is this. http://www.sealantsandtoolsdirect.c..._P26820.html?gclid=CP6HiZDn0r0CFQEXwwodHF8Amw

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Thanks all,
I've had the gb outdoor but moved that on as i have the husqvarna hatchet.
My main considerations are now the hultafors or gb hand tools, think it may come down to how they work in the hand.
I'm just after a small one for day walks to accompany my puukko,if i don't take the laplander saw,i have the saw on my workchamp.

So, anyone found a difference in handling of the hult or gb?
thanks again,
tom

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
I've got an old hatchet head if ye want to get a shaft for it Tam. Found it one of the barns a couple of years ago. Certainly got some age to it.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I rate the GB outdoor axe Tam very highly.
robust enouth to fell trees with a bit of calorific output,sorts most firewood needs until you start wanting to split winter sized logs,used mine to make a bow,blanked out spoons etc.

worth a nose

+1 brilliant axe! The splitting collar is a great feature too! :)

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Really want one but which?

Opinions please if you can.

I owned a GB Wildlife hatchet, I liked it but it never came out to play, I always took my SFA instead. I sold it and on a whim bought a Mini instead. The Mini doesn't get out much either but it is very cute.

For comparison, a Mini, SFA and Scandinavian laid side by side.

DSC_0015-017.JPG

:)

leon-1

I like these:

The estwings are a good little hatchet, that's why they were in the RAF survival packs up until recently.

My main considerations are now the hultafors or gb hand tools, think it may come down to how they work in the hand.
I'm just after a small one for day walks to accompany my puukko,if i don't take the laplander saw,i have the saw on my workchamp.

So, anyone found a difference in handling of the hult or gb?
thanks again,
tom

Tom the Hultafors are very nice, but be aware they are a different beast to the GB's. The trekking axe has a 17.5" handle and can be fitted with either a 800g or 900g head, the head shape is different to the GB's. They are a bit of a beast in the hand, they are not designed really for carving, but they are designed for splitting and doing camp tasks. They are powerful cutting tools (weight and lever length).

The Classic Trekking Axe has a 15" handle and a 500g head, it's very close to the GB's in size and weight (it's slightly longer and very slightly heavier), it actually looks similar to a miniature SFA rather than a miniature hunters axe (like the wildlife hatchet), easier to control than the other two for carving, but not really designed for it.

If you want the tool to carve with get a carving axe, if you want a tool as a camp tool then I would go with Hultafors. Now here's the funny thing, the trekking axes, the two heavier ones with the longer handles are actually cheaper than the lighter of the three models. The Classic trekking axe is nearly double the price of the Trekking Axe.

All of the Hultafors are cheaper than buying a GB of any type or size.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE