Hammocks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jim_w

Tenderfoot
Jun 25, 2005
York
Anyone tried making one? I'm wondering what strength of cord to use to make sure I don't fall on my **** ;)

jim_w

Tenderfoot
Jun 25, 2005
York
Pffff. :rolleyes:

Heheheh just kidding :D that looks like a really easy way to do it.

Buuuuut ;) I'm doing it like a man - I'm netting one out of cord. It's easy and much more practical when you start thinking about making the raw materials too! :)

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
ur right there.

i've bin thinkin of making it myself for a while...but i think i could jus but a mini-hammock for less than a tenner.....way less cost than getting all those bits together i reckon :rolleyes:

please will u let me kno how u get on (picy's or guide maybe??)....i may follow suit with the netting idea

jim_w

Tenderfoot
Jun 25, 2005
York
Yeah, no problem. Making a hammock is no more difficult than making a simple net, so netting is a really useful skill to learn. :)

Scoops

May 17, 2005
essex
i made my own hammock using the thai hammock as a guide,and i used 25mm webbing tape to tie is up with. here are some photos of my hammock that i made.

pics

Wavey Davey

Jul 8, 2005
Suffolk
Just made my first hammock this afternoon from the suggestions at http://www.imrisk.com/cgi-bin/hwiki.pl?Building_A_Hammock
I looked for some Ripstop or something similar but my local material superstore only had curtain and furnishing materials.........Hmmmm.

After a bit of wandering around the store in a daze I suddenly came upon the section where they had rolls of 'Voile'. Now I'm not into interior decoration in any way so I'd never heard of it but it's apparently a modern version of net curtain material or something similar. It's a lightweight nylon mesh material and looked like it might work so I chose a nice dark blue with leaves on, in the absence of anything like dark green, or even green at all. 4 metres at 99p per metre I thought was going to be OK, for an experiment, even if it ripped straight away.

I tied the knots in the ends probably about 3m apart and made a loop in the ends of some rope out of the shed. I put the end of the rope through the loop and pulled it tight round the inside of the knot at each end of the hammock. Put some loops round some handy trees and bingo - one hammock. I put my thermarest inside to spread the weight a bit and climbed in pretty carefully expecting it to dump me on the ground immediately but it didn't. No creaks or groans, no stretching or settling, it just took my weight no problem (about 11st). Spent the next hour appreciating what everyone seems to say about the great feeling of being in a hammock!

This is a very, very easy way to make your first hammock and could hardly be less expensive as a way of trying it out to see if you like it. Fully recommended.

Pics may become available if anyone's interested.
Wavey.

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
Scoops said:
i made my own hammock using the thai hammock as a guide,and i used 25mm webbing tape to tie is up with. here are some photos of my hammock that i made.

pics

That looks the dogs! But where did you get the fabric? I can't seem to find anything suitable (colour, width, material etc..)

jim_w

Tenderfoot
Jun 25, 2005
York
Has anyone slept in both a fabric and a net hammock? I'm sure net ones are more comfy, but I couldn't swear to it - the only type I've slept in was netting.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Wavey Davey said:
Just made my first hammock this afternoon from the suggestions at http://www.imrisk.com/cgi-bin/hwiki.pl?Building_A_Hammock
I looked for some Ripstop or something similar but my local material superstore only had curtain and furnishing materials.........Hmmmm.

After a bit of wandering around the store in a daze I suddenly came upon the section where they had rolls of 'Voile'. Now I'm not into interior decoration in any way so I'd never heard of it but it's apparently a modern version of net curtain material or something similar. It's a lightweight nylon mesh material and looked like it might work so I chose a nice dark blue with leaves on, in the absence of anything like dark green, or even green at all. 4 metres at 99p per metre I thought was going to be OK, for an experiment, even if it ripped straight away.

I tied the knots in the ends probably about 3m apart and made a loop in the ends of some rope out of the shed. I put the end of the rope through the loop and pulled it tight round the inside of the knot at each end of the hammock. Put some loops round some handy trees and bingo - one hammock. I put my thermarest inside to spread the weight a bit and climbed in pretty carefully expecting it to dump me on the ground immediately but it didn't. No creaks or groans, no stretching or settling, it just took my weight no problem (about 11st). Spent the next hour appreciating what everyone seems to say about the great feeling of being in a hammock!

This is a very, very easy way to make your first hammock and could hardly be less expensive as a way of trying it out to see if you like it. Fully recommended.

Pics may become available if anyone's interested.
Wavey.

Pics would be good!

leon-1

weekend_warrior, try point north for fabric you should be able to get pretty much what you need.

jim_w, I have slept on fabric and net (net mini hammock) and I much prefer fabric, plus I don't trust the net ones after hearing a whiplash crack in the middle of the night followed by a thud and a lot of cursing when one of the sashes on a mate of mines snapped :)

I must admit though it did cause a few chuckles when it happened, my mate however was not happy :D

Wavey Davey

Jul 8, 2005
Suffolk
Here you go moduser and Pignut and anyone else interested.....

For details see my earlier post in this thread.

Some pics of my mate James enjoying the hammock experience.

Hammock1.jpg

Hammock2.jpg

Hammock3.jpg

Cheers.

Wavey

Wavey Davey

Jul 8, 2005
Suffolk
Ogri the trog said:
Wavey Davey,
Looks like you're sticking to the KISS principle well and truely.
Cheers Ogri, you're right. It remains to be seen how it sleeps but as I said in my earlier post it really is an easy way to get started to see how you like it.
Wavey.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Cheers for the encouragement Wavey.
I've been considering a hammock project for a while now and have come up with some ideas to try.
First is to tear up a canopy from an old garden gazebo - material looks strong enough but it has a fair amount of stitching on (what will be) a diagonal to the length of the "hammock".
Next would be the sides out of some powder bags that we get in work, though these would be a child size hammock due to shorter length of available material (washed of course).
I'm going to need some pretty strong material as I'm a bit of a lardy so-and-so :rolleyes: But it'll be a good learning curve no matter what the turn out.

ATB

Ogri the trog

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE