Hammocks for tall folks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Docherty

Tenderfoot
May 11, 2010
Dorset
Hi all,

The Problem: I'm 6'6" which is your standard doorframe height and find that when I sleep in my 2 man tent diagonally there is just enough room for me and my kit.

The Theory: Because of my genetic massiveness I've been eyeing up the DD hamock and bivvy range thinking that it might make a better option, I don't have to sleep on my kit - I can sleep above it.

Your Help: Do you think I'll fit? Are there any other freakishly long bushcrafters here who can shed some light or could someone give me any good info on the hammocks re: realistic max length of occupant?

Cheers

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
Hi,

Sounds like you've got a rather short tent. I'm guessing it's not a tunnel tent? Something designed like the Hilleberg Kaitum is ideal for longer people.

About hammocks, I have the Tom Claytor Jungle Hammock and, being only 8cm shorter than you, it's very comfortable for me. According to the specs, it should fit people up to 7'5" so should be no problem for you.

Your length is not quite that freakish in my part of Europe btw ;)

Have fun hanging once you get one :)

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
I'm 6' 6'' as well (howdy brother) I have a Hennesay Explorer Asym and It works perfectly for me. I tried a DD once and it was way to short.

Firebringer

Jun 5, 2009
Scotland
Blackbird from Warbonnet. I'm heavy boned in a Cartman sense and Six two. I had more than ample room. Only used it one night. I found it comfortable to relax in albeit hard to sleep in but that might well have been the cold and not being used to sleeping like a squirrel. Probably also ignorance on my part as to the proper set up. I'm obviously more a bunny at heart than a squirrel, ie prefer ground to trees. I felt a bit like a sword of damocles but that was down to me as opposed to the quality of the hammock.

Have to say, I definitely think if you can try before you buy. Tarp from Warbonnet is seriously good quality and very very light. It alone is probably worth buying albeit not cheap.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE