Hammocks and the cold

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

borka26

May 22, 2008
Derby
Took eleven scouts away camping for the weekend. They slept in tents - the leaders slept in hammocks. We all have DD camping hammocks and DD Tarp setups, fairly simple, no underblankets, just roll mats stuffed in between the two layers. We all had decent sleeping bags - I bought a mountain hardwear lamina cause I knew it was gonna be cold. The first night was cold, about -5, but the second night as colder at -11. All of us were fine in our bags with roll mats. A couple of cold spots around the shoulders and lower back but that was expected! The worst thing was the frozen boots - they had got wet with all the snow the previous day and even though I stored them in side a stuff bag inside a dry bag inside my rucksack, they were stillf rozen the next morning. To be fair, pretty much everything was frozen on Sunday morning! Am going to refine my7 setup slightly for next time I go out. Am making my own underblanket and am going to use one of those reflective blankets on top of the roll mat. Also thinking about a new way of suspending the tarp. Anyhow, great fun and by far the coldest night I have ever slept in my hammock!

Loenja

Settler
Apr 27, 2008
forest row
somewhere on here ther is a tutorial for using the tarp as a sort of cocoon.
toggle the end loops together and peg out the loops second from the end.
makes a great sort of semi tent.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE