Hammocks and the cold

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
K I know when your sleeping on the ground you need to raise yourself off slightly to stop your body heat being leeched out, but what about hammocks, do you add some insulation to the bottom of them? Just something I was thinking of last night, surely your body heat would get taken away by the air flow causing a drop in temperature???

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
From what I've read, folks seem to use mats in the same way when using hammocks. Air won't conduct body heat as fast as the ground will but your weight against the sleeping bag bottom will reduce it's insulation properties.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Ah okies, cheers. Was going to buy a thermarest mat soon for when I'm out in the tent when I started thinking about the hammocks :-?

giancarlo

Oct 5, 2003
Jersey, Channel Islands
Adi's right on what people say about using the sleeping mats in the hammock, not had a proper chance to test it out overnight myself though.
Something is definetly needed if it's a bit chilly, even more so when it's a bit windy. The winds will just blow in under your body and constantly takes the heat away. not nice :(

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
I wonder how long until we see a reflective Thermarest? :?:

ditchfield

Nomad
Nov 1, 2003
Somerset
At the lightweight backpacker, various ideas have been circulating. Some people make underquilts which actually go underneath the hammock so that the insulation isn't compressed. Some cut and stick pads so they are wider and thicker underneath the shoulders and torso, and some combine pads with reflective windscreen shields or space blankets.

Mar 2, 2004
couldnt you just get it all into a gortex bivvy bag.are they not windproof?and big enough to hold a thermarestand your bag?although id like to see some one attempt access to it in a hammock lol.

larry the spark

Forager
Dec 16, 2003
Belfast
I tried out my new hennessy (b'day present) at the weekend in the snow with just a closed cell foam mat and it was fine though there wasn't a great deal of wind. I also had a warmed rock from the fire in a woolen sock at the bottom of my sleeping bag for extra warmth which was great! Can't remember who suggested this on the forums, but what a great idea! Ta!

Think I might invest in a thermarest though as the mat was a little uncomfortabe and definitely more suited to ground conditions.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE