Hammocking in this weather

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Norton

Tenderfoot
Jul 17, 2009
Glasgow
Does anyone have any tips in keeping warm at this time of year when in a hammock. Last week I was out in my DD travel Hammock in -8 and got a wee bit nippy, a mate of mine stayed on the ground and was fine in less clothing so it's to do with the air around me and mainly underneath me. I used a 2001 military arctic bag and a military issue roll mat, I also found that the sleeping bag was damp in the morning due to condensation and I was wondering if anyone had any tips for that? I haven't got an underquilt yet and to be honest don't have the pennies to buy one this winter so I'm looking for other suggestions, I've found that I push up against the side of the hammock above the roll mat so this has something to do with it.

tytek

Forager
Dec 25, 2009
Leeds
You could always light a fire under it as a last resort.

I wonder how many people actually have???

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Whereabouts did you notice the condensation and dampness ?

Sleep mats are okay but they don't provide enough coverage to keep out the cold from all angles. There are ways to fit a few mats together which give you more of a wrapped round system so maybe you could look into that for the time being. Have a look on www.hammockforums.net for some great ideas.
It sounds like you've already worked out that when you compress the sleeping bag underneath you and around the shoulders, the insulation becomes flat and doesn't work very well if at all. Underblankets are the mutts for winter camping as they always remain lofted as they hang on the outside.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Thinking aloud here ... how about putting an old single duvet into a water-resistant bag (bivvy bag, survival bag, whatever) and slinging that under the hammock, like an underblanket. Would be cheap and should provide that 'non-crushable' insulation layer. Just a thought ...

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Thats all OK with that bag you shuld be warm as toast if somewhat overloaded
What you need is a lightweght waterproof but breathable outer bag which will condensate on the outside no problem really
Stay in your bag arms as well
hang to dry in the morning if needed
light a fire will help as well

wedgie

Tenderfoot
Jun 30, 2008
gods own county of yorkshire
what about putting your sleeping bag inside a gortex type bivi bag then you get an extra layer that wicks the moisture away from your bag which will rase the temp a little as well by being wind proof?

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
I cant find the page at the moment, but there is a guide on a DIY cheap under blanket.

Basically get a large light weight trap and hang it underneath your hammock and then inflate some bin liners and put them in there (2 or 3 for a 7 foot ) hammock. This should stop the air getting so cold under you.

Now I admit this is not the best way to go about this, but if you are sking and wanna stay in the trees it should give you a couple of degrees of warmth.

EDIT:
Found it - its called the the Garlington Insulator
http://www.hammockcamping.com/Garlington Insulator/GIversion2.htm

Last edited:

fergus77

Tenderfoot
Mar 5, 2006
Portreath, Cornwall
i use a nanok bag, the summer one from mr mears site, thermarest on the inside and i'm usually wearing my wool thermals and a swanndri shirt. the key for condensation is to keep you nose and mouth on the outside of the bag by wearing a balaclava and tightening all your shoulder cords etc to isolate as much heat loss as possible.

If your head is in side your bag at low temps your breath condenses on the inside of the bag, i've had it happen many times, but by having your head outside with the hood up and all the baffles shut you stop your breath entering your bag and condensing.

I've slept using this system down to about -9 and never had a problem, cold nose but a nice warm brew in the morn sorts all that out.:)

unsponsored

Settler
Apr 6, 2009
North East England
A hammock sock can also help.

Knocked this one up on Friday night

Untreated breathable ripstop to hopefully minimise condensation.

Weight 10.88oz

pbpic4456686.jpg

With Iphone

pbpic4456677.jpg

pbpic4456695.jpg

pbpic4456699.jpg

After hanging it this morning I decided to add the taper to the foot end. This has reduced the weight to 9.22oz.

pbpic4457949.jpg

pbpic4457942.jpg

pbpic4457940.jpg

pbpic4457938.jpg

pbpic4457937.jpg

pbpic4457935.jpg

pbpic4457932.jpg

The bungee cord used to keep the sock rolled up is used to seal the foot end. This can be removed and will allow the sock to slide down slightly to vent.

pbpic4457931.jpg

Head end has a draw cord. This has been sewn so that it is on the inside.

pbpic4457927.jpg

JamieG

Jan 3, 2010
North Somerset
Hi,
I too have had trouble in the past keeping warm and went about slinging an old sleeping bag underneath. I used an eyelet kit to make a series of holes along each side with bungee cord threaded through and tied off to the tree. Problem I had was trying to keep the under bag close enough to the hammock yet staying just far enough away to avoid compression issues (difficult to assess on your own!).
I ended up with a large gap with no benefit. I also had too many bungee cords at all directions making it difficult to get in.
I was thinking about finding one of the very old fleece blankets (you remember the first thick ones) and using that underneath and on top to save using a sleeping bag but couldn't find any.
I saved up and bought the underquilt - WELL WORTH IT. Slept out at -5 no problems at all.
Cheers,
JamieG

I have the DD travel Hammock 2008 (The one with the entry zip on one side)
I use a Nato Issed Roll mat inbetween the 2 baser layers
I use a Softie 12, but have used a soft 6 with a snugpack silk liner.....

I also use an UK Issued Goretex Bivi Bag
Its breathable, Waterproof and Windproof, It stops the condensation being an issue.
It keeps the wind off you in all directions and adds another season to any bag.
The hood can be closed up real small to keep out the cold and help retain even more heat.
I have been very comy in temps as low as -12c although at -18c I did have to sleep with my Softie Jacket on.

on a seperate note using the above system of DD Travel Hammock, Softie 12, Goretex Bivi bag i slept realy good in a temp of 5c with only my fleece jacket under my chest area as insulation, no roll mat. it was very cofy

Hope this helps

PREPER

Settler
Dec 31, 2009
Notts
A cheap lightweight tip I heard was to put one of those 'foil type' car windowscreen covers underneath you. As an 'extra' layer of course.

PREPER...... :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
A cheap lightweight tip I heard was to put one of those 'foil type' car windowscreen covers underneath you. As an 'extra' layer of course.

PREPER...... :)

The problem with that is you get a lot of condensation building up underneath you. Saying that though I've been reading up about things called "vapour barriers" which the guys over the pond seem to like. They are non breathable skins which they use in between layers and for some reason they see it as a good thing :dunno:

Still not got my head round it yet

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE