Hammock?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

climberslacker

Forager
Jan 14, 2008
USA
Herro all!

This summer I will be going on a week long trip, and was thinking about maybe using a hammock on the trip, but am not sure if it will be right for me. I will be going on a 2 day trip, in the same area, just to get everything sorted out and I will be able to see if there will be trees or not. I know that most of the people going (its with Boy Scouts) will be on the ground, and I, always trying to show up my scoutmaster (im senior patrol leader, do you guys "across the pond" have this?), want to have more comfort. But I have never used hamocks or even thought about it untill jsut now, and was wondering what I should look for, and how much I will probably spend. Also what I need wouldnt hurt either.

Thanks much

PS I forgot to say, Im from the US

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The going rate for a "decent" hammock over here is about £25-40.

Materials vary from lightweight ripstop nylon to what's called parachute silk, but I don't know how accurate that actually is.

The most comfortable I've ever used is the silk Nomads Land XXL which is huge and really really comfie. I've tried the nylon ones but found them a bit too small and I'm only 5` 10" of medium build.

Most folks first night in a hammock is a bit daunting because they're convinced they're going to fall out in the middle of the night. You won't, and I don't know anybody who has.
It can take a bit of time to get over the floaty feeling and what happens if the cords break etc, but after a few hours you get used to it and soon doze off. Try and get a couple of nights out before you go on the week long trip just to make sure it's for you, some don't get on with them at all so it's worth trying one first.
I always used to be a ground dweller but ever since trying a hammock about six years ago I've not gone back.

As you're going in summer I wouldn't worry too much about insulation underneath you either. A foam mat will do just fine but I prefer a Snugpak underblanket for colder weather.

The good thing about the dual layer nylon hammocks is you can put a mat between the layers and it will usually stop there instead of sliding out from under you and you waking up with a cold back and ****/bottom :)

Hope this helps

climberslacker

Forager
Jan 14, 2008
USA
it most definatly does :)

I have a hammock at my house but its one of those net ones, and I have slept so the fear of falling out is not problem with me :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
it most definatly does :)

I have a hammock at my house but its one of those net ones, and I have slept so the fear of falling out is not problem with me :)

The problem with the net ones is you wake up looking like Pinhead off Hellraiser

pinhead.jpg

They're good for storing kit in under a proper hammock though :)

Bravo4

Nomad
Apr 14, 2009
New Mexico, USA
Hi climberslacker, there seem to be no shortage of hammocks to choose from these days, price-wise about $50 and up. A few links,,,
http://www.rei.com/gear/feature/sea...eferralID=NA&gclid=CLbAlbHaqpoCFRMUagodQkEI0w

hammock camping 101 and reviews from sgt rock
http://hikinghq.net/hammock/hammock.html

I've got an HH expedition among others, very comfy. not perfect but I think a good value
http://hennessyhammock.com/

us army jungle hammock history
http://www.olive-drab.com/od_soldiers_gear_jungle_hammock.php

Feb 27, 2008
Cambridge
Hennessy hammock or de hammocks are highly rated from Reading the forums. I will get a by hammock when I can afford it as backpacking with and extra 4kg of tent weight isn't fun at all

Bravo4

Nomad
Apr 14, 2009
New Mexico, USA
Hennessy hammock or de hammocks are highly rated from Reading the forums. I will get a by hammock when I can afford it as backpacking with and extra 4kg of tent weight isn't fun at all

There's just something about hammock camping,,,:D

Hey climberslacker, there's an REI 2 blocks from me and I'm heading over in a few minutes. I want to have a look at the Eno Single Nest, Byer Moskito Traveller, and the Byer Easy Traveller. If any of these appeal to you let me know and for what it's worth I can offer a little review.

climberslacker

Forager
Jan 14, 2008
USA
Thanks Bravo, anyone with a fly would be cool... :)

-CS who is constanly amazed by people who i will probably never meet

I have a net type mini Hammock, and its great. Very comfortable.

One tip though place a rollmat on top of the hammock to insulate you from underneath, the mat molds to your body and provides more comfort.

Ant if like me you have large buttons on your trousers, tape them up, they have a nasty habit of getting tangled up in the netting...

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
What happens in a hamock if you want to sleep on your front or side? Isn't it rather uncomfortable?

Jim

I sleep on my side no problem Jim.

I find I can't get off unless I'm on my back but I always wake up on my side, much as I do at home I suppose. Lying diagonally helps to flatten the arc aswell.

Bravo4

Nomad
Apr 14, 2009
New Mexico, USA
OK CS, I picked up one of these, was 20% off:cool:
http://www.rei.com/product/754769

I was looking for a lightweight hammock without a fly and the ENO Single Nest looked to be the best of the lot. Triple stitched at the seams; seaming is one thing I look at VERY closely when I purchase soft gear. I don't sew much myself but I know a fair bit about it and I think the quality of a seam is a good indicator of overall quality or lack there of. More to follow on this model if it's not been done 10,000 times before.
Funny, mine's Olive/Khaki not Khaki/Olive as shown. Yes, I was seduced in part by the color. I never want a blue anything ever again after years of every tent, sleeping bag, and packs coming in only blue. Even the stoves were blue.

I'm planning to field test it a little over the next couple of days and we'll see how it does. Yes, it's a hard life, hammock testing.

I was hoping it would be the Byer Moskito Traveller but it looked a little flimsy and I think would wear out rather quickly. Too fragile for me, thumbs down. Too bad cause the hammock can be used upside down without the netting.

I do think the HH expedition is a good value and the BEST night's sleep of any hammock I have tried but,,,the standard fly is too small, the hook-side of the velcro opening can be terrible if you are wearing shorts, I wish the bug netting opened up as it often stifles any cooling breeze when bugs are no prob but it is god-awful hot,,,,,,you must realise I'm a little like Mrs. Skinner,
"I want it all to fit in one bag and I don't want the bag to be heavy"
"uh, I don't think that's possible"
"What are you, the possibility police? just do it"
Thumbs up for the HH Exp but probably get it with the larger fly and you do get what you pay for(in more ways than one) with stuff that is made you know where..

CS you mention scouting, seems like you could make em' . Not the kind with a bunch of little strings. If you can lay hands on an HH or similar where there is just one main rope at each end, you'll see there isn't that much to it. He says never having made one. All that my new ENO is, is a section of parachute basically, tied off at the ends. A separate tarp can be used which you may already own. Bug netting can also be a separate piece easily improvised. This is how I'll be using the ENO if overnighting but really this one is small enough that it'll go alot of times(day trips) when the HH would be way too much.

Hammock time, see ya:D
Come to think of it, let's get the BSA to make an inexpensive hammock, Built by Scouts, for Scouts.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Wow, I think I may get to post a link before anyone else:D

This site is very good for hammock info, they are US based, very creative, and have taken the ideas of hammock camping way beyond what we have over here.

http://www.hammockforums.net/

There is also this site, another good one!
http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCamping.html

From my own experience, and from what I have read, in the right environment a hammock can give you a really good, light weight, shelter system. In the wrong environment it can be all but useless, and the additions necessary to make it work mean that it may no longer be so light weight. :banghead: :rolleyes: :lmao:

If you do not know what terrain you might find yourself on, be sure to get a hammock that comes with or works with a tarp that you can rig as a ground shelter using poles. This goes for being camped with ground dwellers. Tent campers tend to look for different things in a camp site and its a pain if you have to choose between a night on the ground or a night a couple of hundred yards or more from the rest of the group.

The standard Hennessy diamond can be just a little small on the hammock if there is wind blown rain, but it is nearly useless as a tarp for sleeping on the ground. The Hex fly is much better. Tarps need to be about 3 metres long in order to cover a hammock reliably. This is longer than some tarps sold for sleeping on the ground.

Roll mats in closed cell foam work better than Thermarests as hammock insulation. Wide roll mats are better than standard width. Something like the Large Ridgerest by Cascade Design will work in the hammock, and on the ground if need be, and can be cut to a coffin shape to fit a hammock without wrecking its use on hard surfaces.

climberslacker

Forager
Jan 14, 2008
USA
thanks for all of the help! I think I am going to ask for the hennessy "scout" model for my upcoming birthday in june, and my parents seem pretty ok with it :) I cant wait!

climberslacker

Forager
Jan 14, 2008
USA
Ok so I know its been a while, but i was securing funds ;) I just ordered one yesterday, and I guess if anyone wants, I can put up a brief little review of it. FWIW I ordered the expedition asym model

Thijzzz

Nomad
Jan 8, 2007
The Netherlands
Take your time in finding the right heigth and slack/sag for your personal comfort. It takes some time and testing, but then you know how you have to setup to have a comfy night.

It is not always necessarry to string up the hammock as tight as possible, just a tip.

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
Climberslacker,

(Couldn't be bothered to read the rest of the thread)

DD Hammocks is your answer - You want the Travel Hammock.

Travel Hammock comes with a bivi style base, room for a foam mat or thermarest, built in mossie net.

And "YES" we do have senior patrol leaders here, I was one myself many moons ago....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE