Hammock questions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I think I've nearly managed to convince myself to get a hammock rather than but a new tent. I'm leaning heavily toward a Hennessy Explorer Asym as I bought a cheapo hammock in Thailand a few years ago that was badly out of square and it was amazingly comfortable being able to sleep diagonally. The getting in and out seems to be a pain, though and I wondered it these ones from Mosquito Hammocks, which have side-access would allow for the diagonal sleeping position.

http://www.mosquitohammock.com/

They also have a 13 foot long tarp which is an improvement on the Hennessy. I would want the Hennessy with a 70D Hex tarp rather than the stock option. Do they allow for customisation like this? Otherwise I'll have an extra tarp I don't use, plus the expense of the hex one.

All views and opinions gratefully recieved.

For me personally, I prefer the Hennessy Hammock over all others. These ease of setup is remarkable as well as the construction etc. I have literally gotten a amazing night's sleep in the middle of the jungle in a torrential downpour. And yes you can upgrade the tarp.

Cyb

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
Hennessy Explorer Asym i have it and love it I've tried several other designs including army versions "DD" etc and IMHO they don't come close.

Hennessy is really comfy far easier to get into that any other hammock I've tried, (and safer) because of the area your weight is spread you physically can't fall out when asleep.
the other thing is compared to other hammocks that squeeze from the sides there is loads of space, and to me it feels more like being in a tent than a hammock.
if you have good insulation lying in the hennessey, feels like lying back in a huge sofa! but you really can lie on your side or front.

I've used it loads of times including a stormy winters night and I've never got wet in it.

I don't use the origional tarp that came with it, If put up quickly sometimes It wouldn't quite cover the hammock, you can use pretty much any tarp with it, as long as you cover the same area.

I've found:
Aussie camo type tarp works well (if you attach it diagonaly)
the british issue tarp works even better (a huge area covered )
ponchos are a bit small but still should work.

Your money is safe with hennessey!

I did consider Mosquito hammocks, they are good I like the way you can use them as a free standing "tent", but they still have the standard lying position the back in a long "U" shape.

one last thing getting into a hessesey dosen't require any balance! you literally go from standingto seated to lying, none of the standing on one leg and leaning over buisness which often ends up with a painfull tumble!!

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Good call for Hennessy, Rappleby 2000. I seem to have gained another forum, Hammock Forums, and there is a mod for a zip for Hennessy hammocks. I think the sleeping position is important enough to get one, and if I find getting in and out a pain, I can fit the zip.

I'll also use a 70D Hex tarp, if I can find a supplier in the UK that will include it rather than the stock one.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
The one really bad feature is the velcro around the bottom entrance. It easily kills any underwear you are wearing.

what sort of underware are you wearing:lmao: some long silk frilly number?
i either use a sleeping bag and most bags have a zip at the base if you put the sleeping bag "on" like a pull-over and keep your feet out untill you are in the hammock the velcro will never get near your undies!;)

I have to admit getting dressed/undressed is a pain in a hammock but none more so than in a bivibag.

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
I've not tried a hammock and the thing that concerns me is that it looks great if you sleep on your back - but what about on your side or front?

Jim

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Sorry Gents but I have to take Rappleby2000 to task
you say
quote I've tried several other designs including army versions "DD" etc and IMHO they don't come close.
unquote
and then say
Dont use the tarp it comes with ....

If the others dont come close how come you have to bin the supplied Hennessy Tarp.

As for getting in a "DD", the side walls are high enough that there is almost no chance of falling out the other side. Sit in and turn though 90 degrees while lifting your legs and your done.

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
As for getting in a "DD", the side walls are high enough that there is almost no chance of falling out the other side. Sit in and turn though 90 degrees while lifting your legs and your done.

thats true i've been rather pi.. eerrr tipsey before and i no problem getting (falling) in the my DD travel hammock and not falling out the over side ;) :)

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Just my opinion and 4 years use in all weathers mate! ;)

the phrase "Horses for courses" comes to mind.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I've not tried a hammock and the thing that concerns me is that it looks great if you sleep on your back - but what about on your side or front?

Jim

I think this is where the Hennessy has the advantage from what I'm finding out. The asymetrical design is unique in that it allows for a diagonal sleeping position and so you can sleep on your side almost flat.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
I think this is where the Hennessy has the advantage from what I'm finding out. The asymetrical design is unique in that it allows for a diagonal sleeping position and so you can sleep on your side almost flat.

I usually wake up with a "bad back" even in my bed at home:sigh: Hennesey are very comfortable and supportive with the option of switching to a side or even front position, I don't remember getting a bad back when using it.
If you get a really bad back they are easier to get in and out of too!

Bongo Matt

Tenderfoot
Apr 18, 2009
Isle of Wight
Ive got a little question, I have one of those green nylon zip up hammocks with a basha and sleeping bag, but when it rains, capilary action and gravity causes the moisture from the tree trunks to travel down the strings of the hammock and get me wet, was thinking of modifying some guttering system around the trunk above where the lines are tied out of folded gaffer tape, but I dont like the idea of gaffertaping trees, there must be another way, does this mean I have to get a dry bag/bivvy as well?

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Ive got a little question, ?
It not as big a problem as you think Matt.
Introduce a karabiner into the end cords/tapes (between the tree and the hammock) and it will cure any water creep. Another method is to tie "drip lines" around the end cords - they have the effect of diverting any seapage down, away from the support cords but aren't as effective as a karabiner barrier.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Dec 16, 2007
With the HH I have rings on my tree straps that does the same as the Krab for water diverting. I have up graded the fly to a Mosquito hammock diamond fly bigger than the HH asym flay and can still get it in the snake skins and it comes in DPM.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Ive got a little question,
Never been a problem with my hennessey.

The first night i ever used it was early February, it was very cold and wet, the pine trees were swaying all over the place, the wind was swaying my hammock!
overnight the heavens opened and i just assumed I'd get soaked. at one point i felt a fine mist fall on my face for a second or two but that was it!(the tarp was blown up for a second enough for a couple of drips to hit the insect net and atomise the drops).
all the water coming down the tree had fallen off when it hit the prusic knot holding up the tarp. any further water never got past the waterproof nylon collar.

from that point on I've always trusted it!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE