Hammock problem

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
I'd be more worried by that loop you have with the sling running through it. Not good for long-term use.

All tree straps have a loop stitched or (as in this case) tied at one end. The strap will either be fed through the loop (as in this case) or use a carabiner to enclose the strap leading to the hammock. It is inevitable that the loop will carry the stress at the same place in the loop. However, there is little movement, so corresponding little risk of friction damage. Even so, it is a spot which a wise hanger will inspect regularly for wear. Straps should have a high breaking strain, but the knot used to make the loop will have reduced the breaking strain at that point. Quite how much of a reduction depends on the nature of the knot. The breaking strain recommended by most authorities is at least 500 kilogram(1400 lbs) for the strap material, and also for the line used for the whoopie sling

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
All tree straps have a loop stitched or (as in this case) tied at one end. The strap will either be fed through the loop (as in this case) or use a carabiner to enclose the strap leading to the hammock. It is inevitable that the loop will carry the stress at the same place in the loop. However, there is little movement, so corresponding little risk of friction damage. Even so, it is a spot which a wise hanger will inspect regularly for wear. Straps should have a high breaking strain, but the knot used to make the loop will have reduced the breaking strain at that point. Quite how much of a reduction depends on the nature of the knot. The breaking strain recommended by most authorities is at least 500 kilogram(1400 lbs) for the strap material, and also for the line used for the whoopie sling

Aah, I see, makes sense, will check it regularly :)

I got some new dd tree huggers a while ago but found them a bit short for medium to larger trees so using some longer webbing straps that I took off the hammocks when I fitted them with the whoopie slings. The webbing stretches a bit too start with when new but then settles down fine. The green webbing in the pics has been left up permanently in the garden since spring last year as the other end is a pain to fit to a large laurel bush, so has probably degraded a bit with UV and stuff so I do need to keep an eye on it generally, but seems sound still for the time being.

Anyway, main idea of the pics was to show how quick and easy and uncomplicated this method of hammock attachment/adjustment is, without the need for rings or crabs :)

Cheers, Paul

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE