Hammock problem

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tomcoles

Settler
Jul 21, 2013
Buckinghamshire
Evening all I went out today and set up my hennesy hammock. Now my suspension system/set up is tree huggers carabina then two rapel rings and it have spoken about them on here before.
So I have used this setup several times and it's worked perfectly. However I set it up hammock main line through both rings then round and back through one and out the middle off both of them.
Sat in my hammock and splat!!! I hit the deck??? Very funny at the time but not ideal.
The only thing that's different was it was a hot day.
Does anyone use this method and have any advice?
I was thinking maybe wetten the hammock rope and see if that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
occasionally they will not bite. The tri rings on my warbonnet sometimes dont set properly after i hang the hammock. I just give them a quick tug before i get in to set them. It could also be caused by the line starting to wear and loose its surface texture and therefor the friction is not as good.

StuMsg

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2013
Aberdeen, Scotland
Happened to my friend this weekend - was fine when we set it up but then after 6 hours of pouring rain he went to bed with a thump and a grumble. In this case I think the wet slings didnt have enough friction after wetting and so they slipped.

Blaidd

Nomad
Jun 23, 2013
UK
Do you add a slippery hitch knot on the rappel rings?

2qjg8bs.jpg
Works with webbing, too.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Why bother with the rings, why not use a round turn and half hitches with the half hitches formed with a doubled rope (so it can be undone with a pull)?

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I stopped using rappel rings. As mentioned, it's unnecessary. I just lock off my straps with a couple of hitches.

IMG_0834.jpg

Blaidd

Nomad
Jun 23, 2013
UK
No I haven't is this a must??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everybody's kinda covered everything and you've made a decision but I feel it would be churlish not to answer you though :) so.. No, its not a must but I'm a belt and braces sort of person. I often add an additional 'lock' to a knot to give me piece of mind.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Here's my dd tarp I leave up in the garden most of the time for a snooze in the evening :) Shows the tree strap, whoopie sling and marlin spike hitch arrangement, bit out of focus as it was moving around in the breeze a bit !

Cheers, Paul

Blaidd

Nomad
Jun 23, 2013
UK
"Put the rope round the KNOT, not round the TOGGLE!" Heehee. Sorry, I've been watching a couple of "YouTuber's" who "hang", and that phrase keeps on coming up. :)

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
"Put the rope round the KNOT, not round the TOGGLE!" Heehee. Sorry, I've been watching a couple of "YouTuber's" who "hang", and that phrase keeps on coming up. :)

Like this ? :)

One of those urban myths, never found it to make a difference in practice despite 17 stone bouncing around on it, though I guess it might do if you used a toothpick for the spike :p :D

Cheers, Paul

Blaidd

Nomad
Jun 23, 2013
UK
Like this ? :)

One of those urban myths, never found it to make a difference in practice despite 17 stone bouncing around on it, though I guess it might do if you used a toothpick for the spike :p :D

Cheers, Paul

Personally I also thought it would depend on the toggle material, it was just that both the youtubers said it in the same tone of voice that made me chuckle.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE