hammock or tent?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Cogola

Apr 21, 2009
Western Australia
If you're asking about hammocks then I'm assuming you'll be camping in areas where you can use them. My first hammock was a DD Frontline. A very nice piece of gear and a vast improvement on sleep quality compared to the tents, bivvis and swags I've used before. Seeing as I spend 2-3 months a year sleeping out a good nights sleep is important. I've recently upgraded to a Warbonnet Blackbird. A step up in my opinion but also a step up in price. I don't necessarily think that a hammock is going to be necessarily smaller, lighter or cheaper than the other options. My suggestion would be that if you are unsure about whether a hammock is for you is to make one yourself. Nylon fabric can be picked up cheaply and a simple gathered end hammock is easy to make even for the most amateurish of sewers. There's plenty of how-to guides on the web. I've made a couple for family now and although they don't have the same bells and whistles as a bought one they can still give a good nights sleep. Remember if you end up buying a DD you are probably going to want to change the suspension over to something a bit better (I've got homemade whoopie slings and they work really well). You might also want to consider adding a structural ridge-line. This is another mod I did to my DD and it made getting a good comfortable setup a whole lot easier.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Weight wise there's probably not much in it if you compare it to a small 1.3-1.5kg tent + self inflating mat ~900g works out at about ~2.2-2.4kg.
A hammock is about 900g + suspension 100g + tarp 600g + 3/4 length 3 season down UQ 500g + 4 pegs 65g + ridge line 100g ~2.25kg
Blimey that's a lot of gear to add.

For spring-summer-Autumn time I've used a home-made hammock - never weighed it, but certainly under 450gm (ie, less than a can of beans), and laminate flooring underlay for insulation. Total less than 500gm, I reckon. The insulation was a bit bulky - about the same as a 3/4 thermarest - but so light it would be difficult to weigh.

Camping up on a hillside in dry forests means less bities, never found I needed an insect net.

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
dd hammocks are a great one to start with, not expensive.

i use an hh and total weight including tarp comes in at just less than 2kg.

i think they are better to use than tents in winter actually and find them a lot lot warmer than sleeping in a tent as well.

however, it all comes down to trees. if there arent any where you are going then its pointless.... thats really what it comes down to, i work in the jungle, so i take a hammock, when i go to snowdonia for a laugh, i take a tent....

not very helpful but just pointing out the limitations...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE