hammock or tent?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

unorthadox

Forager
Jan 14, 2011
Newcastle
Hi,
recently i have been looking for something for shelter and im torn between what to get.

A hammock seems smaller, lighter and cheaper but i have never used one thus i dont know what the insulationand comfort is like in comparison.

So far it looks like i may get a DD travel hammock (no relation to seller). Despite being rather expensive for a first hammock im justifying it that it will be cheaper than a tent around the same quality and practicality.

Does anyone have experience using this product?

Does anyone have any other reccomendations?

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Use the search function and you will find loads of information on DD hammocks and the pros and cons of hammocks and tents, all been talked about many many times before.

gandelff99

Jan 29, 2011
southport
most hammocks on the market at the mo are double skinned and a insulating mat can be placed in between this skin,and insulation is recommended,just becuase your off the ground doesnt make you void from the cold,theres a nother company called tenth wonder that do tarps and hammocks,they do a beginners package caled the sarigossa tarp and jungle hammock for around 35 quid on ebay,very comfortable indeed,takes practice to set the whole thing up if your new but its a trail and error experiance, try you tube for more hammock vids theres a poster there called shugs or shugemery who's videos are hilarious but very informative .
i love hanging in my hammock under a tarp and prefer it to ground camping in a tent or bivvy bag but each to there own

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Tent for the winter, hammock for the summer... some people hammock for both but I don't consider a hammock the right tool for winter camping.

One thing that also works really well if you're not keen on hammocks, is a US type folding army cot under a tarp - amazingly comfortable, if a bit big and heavy.

I prefer a thermarest and not an underblanket... if there are no suitable trees or if I just want to change my mind and sleep on the floor (in a bothy, under Careless Torque in the Grand Hotel boulder in Stanage).

gandelff99

Jan 29, 2011
southport
theres loads of great gear out there for hammocking,some way way expensive but lightweight and yes the old maxim you get what your paying for comes in there for example the underquilt is the insulation barrier used by many hangers(the general term for hammock hangers) this underquilt is the insulation barrier,me i just use a closed cell foam insulating mat but many hangers suspend there underquilts underneath there hammocks using clever suspension systems and can be anything as simple as a wool blanket from army and navy stores to this puppy for the colder more extreme temperatures http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/quilts.php(apologies if this breaks any of the forum rules listing outside sources of kit as kust making an example comparison)
from simple gas cookers to the lightweight atomic alcohol stoves (once again apologies if breaking the rules here) http://www.minibulldesign.com/apps/webstore/products/show/1512931 but you can just as easy make your own kit if your proficient enough or if you think laterally you can make use of many pieces of basic camping kit and with a bit of adaptation come up with a cheap alternative.
me personally moneys tight this time of year and theres no way i could shell out over 400 us dollars and postage for a very warm sleeping system that does sub zero temps,i can however take a rollmat and an extra down sleeping bag and achieve the same thing,it might be more bulky and heavier but the end result is the same

yeah old shugs is funny,grat guy and alot of confidence in his vids,he's an entertainer by profession,so that shows in them, making a vid isnt as easy as it looks,especially camping/hanging etc,too much film footage wasted on drivvle and fire scenes lol...yeah guilty of that one at times

Shadowolf

Feb 3, 2011
Stourport on Severn England
me personally prefer to go with a bivi bag, 2 season sleeping bag and basha seeing as i've spent half my life living under a basha in some pretty harsh conditions i find it to be proven. if how ever i feel like going ultra lightweight then i ditch the basha and just opt for the bivi bag.

SW

Thoth

Nomad
Aug 5, 2008
Hertford, Hertfordshire
The environment that you'll be in is the really key thing here. You need trees (or something else pretty solid) to sling a hammock. I enjoy using mine in my local woodland but am just as happy in a bivvy-bag on the ground. If you are in a forested area the hammock is a no brainer, you don't have to worry about, dry, level or 'comfy' ground as you do with a bivvy or tent. But as soon as you are away from the woods, or above the treeline a hammock is no good. Weight wise the jury is out, it depends on what set-up you go with. There are some very lightweight shelters out there (sub-1kg even) so that can be hard to beat with a hammock & tarp combo.
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum has lots of info but is a US forum as I recall, so some kit reviewed there is not easy to come by in the UK.

unorthadox

Forager
Jan 14, 2011
Newcastle
The environment that you'll be in is the really key thing here. You need trees (or something else pretty solid) to sling a hammock. I enjoy using mine in my local woodland but am just as happy in a bivvy-bag on the ground. If you are in a forested area the hammock is a no brainer, you don't have to worry about, dry, level or 'comfy' ground as you do with a bivvy or tent. But as soon as you are away from the woods, or above the treeline a hammock is no good. Weight wise the jury is out, it depends on what set-up you go with. There are some very lightweight shelters out there (sub-1kg even) so that can be hard to beat with a hammock & tarp combo.
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum has lots of info but is a US forum as I recall, so some kit reviewed there is not easy to come by in the UK.

This is why i like the DD travel hammock, it doubles as a bivvy bag if you cant hang it up, also a mossy net is a must in areas i will use it. Im planning to do a 2 week cycling trip in the summer is probly the most important event this yr i will need to consider.

Partickpebbles

Dec 18, 2010
South Milford
This is why i like the DD travel hammock, it doubles as a bivvy bag if you cant hang it up, also a mossy net is a must in areas i will use it. Im planning to do a 2 week cycling trip in the summer is probly the most important event this yr i will need to consider.

Hammock is brilliant...having camped before, this takes you to a raw state... love em!

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
IMO id go for a tarp and bivvi bag, maybe a thermarest type mat too, but having said you will need mozi protection, a hammock with built in mozi net that could be used as a bivvi, gofor it......

i would say borrow 1 first though, they make me feel a bit sick when i rock around so probley not fo me...... :)

unorthadox

Forager
Jan 14, 2011
Newcastle
IMO id go for a tarp and bivvi bag, maybe a thermarest type mat too, but having said you will need mozi protection, a hammock with built in mozi net that could be used as a bivvi, gofor it......

i would say borrow 1 first though, they make me feel a bit sick when i rock around so probley not fo me...... :)
Normally i just build a shelter with the land, occasianlly use tarp and a sleeping mat. so for the hammock i only need to buy the hammock itself, im fairly sure i wont feel sick in a hammock but if it did a few mods with paracord will stop it rocking. In the past ive tried cheap tents and they are rubbish compared to building a shelter.

Col_M

Jun 17, 2010
London and Devon
It very much depends on where I'm going and the availability of trees. Also I've found out that I take a night to get used to sleeping in a hammock so in the future if I'm going to only be out for a night then the best bet may be to just take a tent.

Weight wise there's probably not much in it if you compare it to a small 1.3-1.5kg tent + self inflating mat ~900g works out at about ~2.2-2.4kg.
A hammock is about 900g + suspension 100g + tarp 600g + 3/4 length 3 season down UQ 500g + 4 pegs 65g + ridge line 100g ~2.25kg

So there's not really much in it, you can shave a bit of weight off both by using a lighter mat in the tent, the hammock setup can be reduced by using a lighter hammock or tarp. They are both beaten on weight by using a bivi and tarp though. Ultimately it depends on what you prefer and the places you go :)

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
For winter or mountain use check out the Tarptents.
I have MSR s Twin Peaks tarptent.Excellent shelter and comes with a "Mountain" rating.Mine weighs around 900g with decent pegs rather than those titanium hatpins,and even has a snowskirt.It has no floor to save weight and pitches with trekking poles,ski poles,oars or sticks or you can hang it from a tree.It's a very versatile option and I'm working on a light groundsheet made from space-blanket and Tyvek bonded together.Not got it right yet but soon.
Cheers Simon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE